INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRVR Odd Behavior in full screen  (Read 1773 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
JRVR Odd Behavior in full screen
« on: December 11, 2021, 08:57:48 pm »

MC 28.0.89 for Apple Silicon
JRVR Renderer selected
M1 Mac Mini
MacOS 11.6
Ultra Widescreen monitor at 3440x1440 resolution

When starting a video in Normal View, all is well.  While playing, if you change to display view (command-3), the video is zoomed about 1.5x or so, then shifted to the right and down, so that only the upper left part of the video shows on screen.  Switching back to normal view (command-1), this cropping and shifting persists.  Pressing Stop and then Play again, makes it go back to normal.

This is a new Mac for me so I just started testing JRVR on this one.  I never saw this on my previous Macs, but none of them had ultra widescreen displays either.  I don't know if this is related to my monitor aspect ratio or not.

Changing the renderer back to OpenGL removes this behavior and videos play as expected.

Thanks,
Brian.

blgentry

Re: JRVR Odd Behavior in full screen
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 01:33:43 pm »

I can provide example screen shots if that would be helpful.

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 02:47:32 pm »

A Log might be helpful, as it would tell us the resolution it detects and the window size it targets. Maybe some of the position logic is wrong or some update event does not fire.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 06:41:14 pm »

Log is a great idea.  Not sure why I didn't think of that.  :)

I did a very short and simple test:  Picked a movie in Playing now, doubled clicked it.  It played in Normal mode correctly.  Switched to Display View (Command-3) and it was zoomed and shifted.  Back to normal view, still zoomed and shifted.  Hit stop, then turned off log.

Log attached.

Thanks,
Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 02:44:54 am »

There seems to be some confusion with retina/display scaling. The renderer correctly determines the screen is 3440x1440, but MC thinks its 6880x2880, and tries to position it accordingly.
Not sure why macOS is doing its retina shenanigans on external displays that are just a fixed resolution, but thats causing this issue anyway.

What I don't know is why it starts in fullscreen only though.

I'll check with bob if he can help reproduce.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 09:30:28 am »

I almost certainly have MC set to use Retina in the View > Size menu.  My last Mac was a 27" Retina iMac.  I migrated all the settings, etc from that Mac, so it's probably still set that way.

I'll check when I get home and turn it off and test again.  Weird that the OpenGL renderer doesn't have the same issue.  I'll report when I have more information.

Thanks,
Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 10:08:46 am »

Hopefully this should be fixed in the next build.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 06:36:11 pm »

So, my MC28 was definitely set to retina mode and when I turned it off, video started working as normal in JRVR mode.  :)

Now I kind of wonder if JRVR can display a video that's (for example) 2.35:1 on my 2.35:1 display without black bars top and bottom.  At the moment, it's window boxed on my display:  Black bars on both sides (to make the view port 16:9 shaped) and black bars top and bottom (to make the view port show a 2.35:1 video in the correct aspect ratio).

It would be neat if I could selectively zoom, or JRVR could pick the correct amount of zoom based upon the source aspect and the display aspect.  This is outside of the topic of this post.  Just mentioning it.

Thanks,
Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 07:09:17 pm »

So, my MC28 was definitely set to retina mode and when I turned it off, video started working as normal in JRVR mode.  :)

Now I kind of wonder if JRVR can display a video that's (for example) 2.35:1 on my 2.35:1 display without black bars top and bottom.  At the moment, it's window boxed on my display:  Black bars on both sides (to make the view port 16:9 shaped) and black bars top and bottom (to make the view port show a 2.35:1 video in the correct aspect ratio).

It would be neat if I could selectively zoom, or JRVR could pick the correct amount of zoom based upon the source aspect and the display aspect.  This is outside of the topic of this post.  Just mentioning it.

Thanks,
Brian.
Is build 95 working in Retina mode?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 04:07:10 am »

If the video does not contain black bars in the video signal, then it should "just work".
If it does, like most do, then you should be able to do it manually by using the options during playback, eg Right Click on the video (or use Player -> Display Options in the main menu), Window -> Crop Black Bars -> Video is within 2.35

Automating that process would require knowing where there are black bars in the video signal, and we're not currently capable, nor sure how to, go about such a detection.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2021, 06:12:55 am »

Is build 95 working in Retina mode?

Just checked it.  YES, it's working as expected; the behavior I reported it gone.

Thanks!
Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2021, 06:21:55 am »

If it does, like most do, then you should be able to do it manually by using the options during playback, eg Right Click on the video (or use Player -> Display Options in the main menu), Window -> Crop Black Bars -> Video is within 2.35

Automating that process would require knowing where there are black bars in the video signal, and we're not currently capable, nor sure how to, go about such a detection.

I'm not sure I've ever seen those right click options before.  Neat.  I just tried cropping and it worked correctly, making the 2.35 video fill my 2.35 (well, 2.33, but who's counting?) screen.  :)

A couple of notes:

1.  The various Window > Crop Black Bars > (select). These options all behave identically.  They do not variably zoom/crop at all.  They all zoom up to what looks like the 2.35 area on a 16x9 frame.  Also, the top level "crop" selection does exactly the same thing.  I'm not sure if this is by design, but it seems like there should be different behavior for the different options.
2.  I feel silly now that you said it would be extremely hard to detect aspect ratio.  I guess maybe I thought that MC filled out the tags and had the real aspect ratio.  I just checked and there is a "factory" supplied field for aspect ratio, but it's not filled out in most of my collection.  It's there for a few DVDs I have ripped, but I'm not sure how it got there.  It might be neat to try to auto crop based on that field if available.  Or not.  Just thinking out loud.

Thanks again for the help guys.  :)

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2021, 06:29:21 am »

The top-level "Crop" option will always try to fill the screen as well as possible, even if it cuts off image that way. In other words, it'll never introduce new black bars. With this set, the other options are largely irrelevant, because those parts of the image are already off-screen.

Assuming you have it set to "Preserve Aspect Ratio" on the top level (the default), then the Crop Black Bars options should all behave differently and crop a different amount from the image, making it slowly expand toward the available screen width as some of the height is cropped.

Testing the behavior right now, seems to be working as described, too.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2021, 12:39:31 pm »

Assuming you have it set to "Preserve Aspect Ratio" on the top level (the default), then the Crop Black Bars options should all behave differently and crop a different amount from the image, making it slowly expand toward the available screen width as some of the height is cropped.

Yes, I have the default set for Preserve Aspect.  But it does not progressively zoom.  What you describe is logical and is what I expected.  But it's not what I saw on my home system with the ultra widescreen.

Testing the behavior right now, seems to be working as described, too.

I just tried this on my work macbook pro M1.  MC crop options act inconsistently.  If I choose crop 2.35 immediately it does nothing.  But if I switch to a smaller crop like 1.66 it does it.  I would have to record the exact sequence of events, but I've selected the same crop level twice in a two and had it once NOT do anything and the other time the crop works.  If you want me to provide more detail I can try to write it up.

Thanks,
Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up