INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the * rating for a track kept in the library or attached to the file?  (Read 891 times)

baldo

• World Citizen

I have MC on different machines with different drives for each version.  I have all my files duplicated across machines.

If I give a file a rating, is that stored within the librady or attached to the file itself? So if I clone the library across from one machine to the other machine, will the rating for the file also be cloned and copied across?

(Please dont suggest NAS drives or anything like that. I have my reasons why I want to keep different files for different machines. Thanks)

Thanks.

baldo

• World Citizen

Anyone?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

You could use Library Server to share one machine's library to the other.  Start at the Media Network article on the wiki.

Ratings would usually be stored in the file unless you turn that off or the file can't have internal tags.  The wiki has information on tags.

baldo

• World Citizen

Thanks Jim.

I dont want to use library server to share the library. I want to keep a hard wall between all copies of my files and my my libraries.

What I do is to back up the library on one machine and then copy that library over to the other machine.  That way I have two copies of my library AND two copies of my music files.  This is the way that I want to keep it.  If something happens to one linbrary at least I have a 100% duplicate copy as a backup.

I'm still not slear about the ratings and where they are stored.  If I make the ratings on one machine and then copy the library acros to the other machine, will I have to re do the rating again? 
If so can I just copy all the music flac files to the other machineas well as the library.

Can you point me to the wiki please.
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Can you point me to the wiki please.

Try a Google search.  Ask your question and add "JRiver" wiki.
Pages: [1]   Go Up