INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver 28 chokes on wav files; mp3's play but start in the middle of songs  (Read 1670 times)

mikepellegrini

• Recent member

I just successfully installed JRiver 28 on a machine running Ubuntu 21.1 (Asus ROG Strix Z270E, 16 GB RAM, Core i7 E6700K).  The files I'm playing are located on an NAS (DNS-323 - which has a Linux OS) on a Windows network, and everything's connected using 1 GB/s Ethernet.

I had MC scan the files in one directory of the NAS into its library.

When I click on an mp3, the file plays, but starts somewhere mid-song.  If I click on a wav file, it thinks about it for a few seconds (buffering), then I get an error that something went wrong with playback.

The files are okay and the connections are okay: when in Ubuntu file manager, if I click on either a wav or mp3, it plays in the Ubuntu video application.

Is this a configuration problem in MC? It's using the ALSA driver (which it selected itself).

I've had it freeze a number of times.  I haven't tried to play any videos yet.

I'll admit I know almost nothing about Linux.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

Probably just a sample rate issue. The default ALSA device will only play 48k if pulseaudio is installed. It's made for sharing the audio device with other apps.
Either switch to an hw: device if that's what you are using or set DSP studio to convert the same rates if you still want to use pulse or use a plughw: device that will automatically convert sample rates.

mikepellegrini

• Recent member

Thanks!  I'll give that a try.

mikepellegrini

• Recent member

I tried a bunch of different drivers including various hw and nothing changed.  So I copied a large wav file to the Ubuntu comp and tried playing it off the local drive - and it worked perfectly with JRiver 28.

Using terminal, I pinged my music server (DNS-323) and strangely, it came back with a ping of over 200ms - which sounds about right for the chunk of missing song at the front end of mp3s when you play them. And would maybe explain why wav files won't play - takes too long to buffer?

I did a speedtest (speedtest.net using Firefox) from the Ubuntu machine and got full bandwidth (900mb/s) and a 3ms ping to the test server.

I pinged my music server from another machine on my LAN, and I get a 1ms ping. Everything's hooked up with gigabit Ethernet.

The Ubuntu machine has an 800ms ping to my router! 

But I ping the Ubuntu machine from another comp on the LAN, I get 1ms.

What gives?  Is this some weird sort of Linux security enhancement I'm bumping into?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

I tried a bunch of different drivers including various hw and nothing changed.  So I copied a large wav file to the Ubuntu comp and tried playing it off the local drive - and it worked perfectly with JRiver 28.

Using terminal, I pinged my music server (DNS-323) and strangely, it came back with a ping of over 200ms - which sounds about right for the chunk of missing song at the front end of mp3s when you play them. And would maybe explain why wav files won't play - takes too long to buffer?

I did a speedtest (speedtest.net using Firefox) from the Ubuntu machine and got full bandwidth (900mb/s) and a 3ms ping to the test server.

I pinged my music server from another machine on my LAN, and I get a 1ms ping. Everything's hooked up with gigabit Ethernet.

The Ubuntu machine has an 800ms ping to my router! 

But I ping the Ubuntu machine from another comp on the LAN, I get 1ms.

What gives?  Is this some weird sort of Linux security enhancement I'm bumping into?
Sounds like the ubuntu machine has got an issue with routing or ethernet link negotiation.
I'd check that. You might be able to powercycle the router or switch you have.
Alternately use mii-tool on ubuntu to control the link management,
Pages: [1]   Go Up