INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bit perfect from JRemote(?)  (Read 1294 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Bit perfect from JRemote(?)
« on: January 06, 2022, 08:23:52 am »

I’m interested in using the Cayin RU6 DAC/Amp with JRemote and iPhone. It’s supposed to be absolutely(?) compatible with iOS assuming the proper and optional cable. I question ‘absolutely’ only because I cannot find anything about using a DAC/Amp with JRemote. For example, consider this statement from HIFI.blog…
https://www.hifi.blog/cayin-ru6-usb-dac-amp-the-audiophile-usb-dongle/

According to Cayin Audio, the best solution for the R-2R circuitry is to obtain the highest possible incoming bit-stream level and then apply high-quality analogue volume control after the signal has been converted by the R-2R DAC circuitry.

For this reason, the manufacturer recommends using a music player app that supports Bit-perfect USB, bypassing the level control of the source device, and relying instead on said high-precision resistor array volume control based on TCR25 thin-film resistors.

… which goes onto suggest the smartphone’s volume be adjusted to maximum, and the bitstream be handed off untouched. Also note that primary volume control is best accomplished by the DAC’s own proprietary electronics.

This seems similar to assumptions made by all media players (any OS) when the audio is handed off to AVRs and assumptions are made that all audio adjustments will be made by the AVR.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think JRemote hands over the signal, or makes any assumptions for this type of functionality, even if configured properly for not transcoding audio(?) Is it possible for the JRemote team to add this functionality to its list of output devices?

TIA :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

Re: Bit perfect from JRemote(?)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 08:49:02 am »

Also of note… this is no ordinary DAC (in the way of Fiio, Earmen, Dragonfly…), but it does rely on tried&true older technology. If JRiver engineers, or for that matter anyone else, might be interested, a Cayin engineer introduces the technology, whys & wherefores, to the Head-Fi forums here

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-ru6-r-2r-usb-dongle-dac-with-head-amp.960113/

Thank again…

shAf

Re: Bit perfect from JRemote(?)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 12:19:10 pm »

10 minutes after kicking myself for not opting for expedited delivery, a text arrives letting me know my Cayin RU6 has been delivered. Lots o’ kudos for the Headphone Bar (Vancouver BC) for getting it into the outgoing mail late Wednesday and for Canada Post for delivery to St John’s 4 days early in spite of bad weather.

Currently listening to Fleetwood Mac’s “Rumours” (192kHz), and via JRemote it sounds great, but keep in mind I can only relate to the iPhone’s own DAC and that of the Soundblaster E5. The RU6 provides for a much more comfortable sound, voices are intimately close, and the stage it sets is all around me (Shure SRH940 headcans).

The RU6 is reporting ‘192kHz’ (no oversampling), and the only question at this point is that I had thought the RU6 would report the oversampling value but it instead reports the original sampling. It appears I was totally wrong to doubt JRiver’s implementation of JRemote delivering an accurate bitstream, although the iPhone still has control of the volume.

I’m using Cayin’s own OTG cable, and not hearing any dropouts with RU6 set for ‘low gain’ and volume ‘75’ which is a listening level just right for me. Large files (192kHz) are streaming perfectly well, but then, I’m downstairs near the primary mesh router.

Breaking in begins today. Life is good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up