INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 28.0.98 crash on import  (Read 1487 times)

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
Media Center 28.0.98 crash on import
« on: January 08, 2022, 02:05:39 pm »

I'm getting a repeatable crash when trying to import a folder containing an album of ALAC music files. I'm attaching the Logging file from Media Center and a copy of the crash report from Apple.

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Media Center 28.0.98 crash on import
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 04:36:00 pm »

it looks like the media center log did not upload. i'll try it here.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 08:08:21 am »

I don't see "alac" in the log.

Is it a crash (program disappears)?  Or a hang (program frozen)?

Can you play an alac file?

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 09:34:51 am »

the files i'm importing are Apple Lossless (alac) which i ripped yesterday with dbpoweramp. They all end in .m4a, it's a single album by Toto.

The files are good. They play in apple music without an issue.

The program crashes. It does not hang, it crashes.

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 09:36:21 am »

Yes, Media Center can play other already imported alac (m4a) files. I have more than 21,000 music files in media center and 90% are alac.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 09:42:43 am »

Can you provide an Apple crash dump?
Edit: I looked at the crash dump. It's not obvious what's going on there.

I have an all ALAC library as well and there are no issues importing however I use MC to rip to ALAC.
I'm guessing that there has been a change in dbpoweramp that produces a tag the MC can't handle for some reason.
Just checked with DBPowerAmp demo and it works ripping then importing with MC for me.

Does MC have disk access to the folder you are trying to import?
Look in System Preferences->Security and Privacy->Privacy->Files and Folders.

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 05:45:54 pm »

Very interesting. You may be on to something. I believe that this is the first time I've tried to import anything since upgrading to Montery a month ago.

When i go to System Preferences->Security and Privacy->Privacy->Files and Folders and then unlock the little padlock, the + under the list is greyed out and does not function. The minus is not greyed out. Media Center is on the list with a subitem Removable Volumes with the box checked. All my music files are on an SSD drive hooked to my iMac via USB-C to the back of the iMac. I can play music without problem (from the external SSD), but is it possible that Media Center might need access to other folders? In addition, I've been playing around and i get the same crash when trying to import any folder I've had in my library for years and that also causes a crash. Before now, it would just go through the update process but not change anything since the folder was already in my library. I think this eliminates it being the actual files themselves, but rather the process of accessing the files for import.

I'm stuck at this point, but i'd appreciate any suggestions. I did just try to backup the media library fron the File->Library->Backup Library in Media Center. The backup goes to my Documents folder which is in the cloud and it worked without problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 06:52:59 pm »

Did you try reinstalling MC28?

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 07:16:02 pm »

Yes. I did several reinstalls, and just now i did a complete uninstall with app cleaner and a reinstall. Everything works great except i can not import any folder without an immediate crash.

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 07:25:43 pm »

i read another post by someone with the exact same problem as me, so i went back to 28.0.96 and reinstalled it over 28.0.98 and it works perfectly without any problems importing anything. There is a problem with 28.0.98. I'll be using 28.0.96 until you've come up with another idea. My import was perfect, without any errors or issues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up