INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No sound from RPI USB output  (Read 1228 times)

erviv

• World Citizen
No sound from RPI USB output
« on: January 13, 2022, 10:24:09 am »

My bsmt rpi has decided it doesn't want to output sound via USB.  I have looked in Options/Audio/Audio Device for the HW configuration for my Schiit Modi, which is usually there, and do not see any options for USB out. To my knowledge I have not made any setting changes since I last used the USB audio output.  Normally it works just fine.

I looked in dmesg at the rpi boot up messages and see that the USB output has a warning, along the lines:
usb 1-1 -port 5: Cannot enable. maybe the cable is bad.
I switched ports and just the port number changed but the rest of the message is the same. I changed USB cables and still the same result.
i swapped my cable to the where the mouse was and same result. The mouse worked and no sound out.  So the USB ports are functioning. if i select HW HDMI i get sound from my TV as I would;d expect/
The Modi shows that it is powered up, and it is a simple plug and play device (ie. nothing to configure).
 I connected the Modi to my MacBook and the same result under MC - no USB HW devices appear.  So most likely the issue is with the Modi.

Thoughts or suggestions, would be appreciated.
I am running the current version of MC 28.0.100
My rpi OS is also current.
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: No sound from RPI USB output
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 07:38:05 pm »

Unfortunately it does sound like your device has gone bad.

Perhaps look for a firmware update? I've had occasional luck getting a device that was non-functioning working by reloading firmware.

erviv

• World Citizen
Re: No sound from RPI USB output
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 08:17:58 pm »

Thanks Bob. I expect you are correct.  There doesn’t appear to be any means to update or re-set the software or firmware of the Modi. So I expect it will have to be replaced.
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).
Pages: [1]   Go Up