INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Default Player For File Types Not Being Saved Permanentlyt  (Read 3157 times)

Birchman

• Recent member
Default Player For File Types Not Being Saved Permanentlyt
« on: January 14, 2022, 12:22:31 am »

I would like JRiver to be the default player for certain file types (FLAC, mp3, WAV, etc.) that are resident on a hard drive.  I go to JRiver's Tools/Options/File Types.  In the menu there I check the file association check box(es).  I leave the playback method choice as automatic.  I will create the associations and then exit the option.  When I go right back in and look the associations are still showing as saved.  If I exit JRiver and then restart JRiver the file associations have been lost. A similar problem happened when in Finder I clicked on a file that I thought was associated.  It seemed like it opened an mp3 file but then lost associations after I tried to open a Wav file or something like that.  Basically JRiver is not permanently saving the file associations. Sort of a side note: the Mac by default opens unassociated files in the Apple Music Player.  Apple's Music Player in all instances immediately creates actual file misplacement/loss. I know where to look now to hopefully restore the file(s) when that happens.  (I spent an uninteresting hour or so with Apple support to confirm a bug which appears to be known by Apple). Mac Monterey OS Ver 12.1. Thanks

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Default Player For File Types Not Being Saved Permanentlyt
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 06:46:44 am »

I can't speak directly to this issue, as I have not experienced it.  Here are just some of my thoughts:

1.  On Mac, the normal way to set file associations is through Finder.  The top of this article shows how to do it from Finder:
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/how-to-manage-file-associations-in-macos/

2.  MC can play files that are associated by clicking in Finder, which I think is what you are trying to do.  But, in my opinion, MC wasn't really designed to be used that way.  It's really designed to be a Library manager that houses your entire collection.  MC really expects that you will open MC itself and navigate inside of MC when you want to find music, browse, etc.  MC is very good at this.

3.  Because of this above point, I don't use MC for any Finder based playback.  Really the only thing I do when playing files from Finder is casual "preview" type work to validate the contents of a file, make sure it plays, or similar tasks.  If I want to play it with MC, then I put it in the right place on disk and import it into MC.  That way I can always play it with MC later, using MC's interface.  Navigating to files in Finder is backwards compared to the rich interfaces provided by MC to organize and find your music collection.

4.  When I do need/want to do casual previewing of files, I use an entirely separate player.  I have essentially all music and movie formats associated with another common player called VLC.  VLC is good at doing these preview type tasks.  If I really want to play it to enjoy the music/movie/TV/video, it gets played through MC's interface.

Again, these are just my thoughts.  Feel free to completely ignore my points if they contradict your intended use case.

Brian.

Birchman

• Recent member
Re: Default Player For File Types Not Being Saved Permanentlyt
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 11:51:58 pm »

Brian, Thank you very much.  In the article you provided I finally saw the answer.  I have run some initial tests and all seems to be working well.  Once again thanks.

Here is the relevant quote from the article, it's sort of muddy but easy enough to figure out:
"Click Get Info in the contextual menu and select another app from the Open With: dropdown list in the file's Info pane. To use that app to open all files sharing the same extension, click the Change All... button and select Continue:
Pages: [1]   Go Up