INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: Enabling more than one photo/album cover per TRACK  (Read 979 times)

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen

I have a feature request: Enabling more than one photo/album cover per TRACK, which is either a static choice or an automatic carousel. This is different from more artist pictures per album which are apparently crowd-sources (which I do not want!!!).  I am thinking of (1) front and back cover, (2) box cover and individual cover in case of a box of more than one album (3) "official" cover photo and (historic) version of the album cover, etc.

EdBrady

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Feature request: Enabling more than one photo/album cover per TRACK
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 09:07:11 pm »

Yes! I've asked for this one before. MC should display all artwork in the track's tags. It has always displayed only one, and only if it's tagged as "front cover." Most if not all formats support multiple artwork; everything present should be displayed.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 01:05:53 am »

+1 as a nice to have.
Currently I rely on MP3tag to embed multiple pictures per track into flac files.  I could not find a way to do that or even view them in MC.
Probably this opens a can of worms in terms of programming effort to both embed and manage (add/remove/reorder), so it's not at the top of the list for me.

My work around is to also save them as individual image sidecar files in the album directory for viewing in a per-album linked image view in MC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 07:06:27 am »

Enabling more than one piece of art for each file would be kind of a big change for us.  We could do it, but we would need some convincing.

It would require changing how tags are stored, how artwork is loaded during playback, how thumbnails are loaded, etc.

Jim's advice of using "View Extras" is pretty good.  That should work well today.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 08:41:43 am »

Enabling more than one piece of art for each file would be kind of a big change for us.  We could do it, but we would need some convincing.
I think it's a good idea. 

How about using stacks?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 09:41:12 am »

Handling cover art for boxed sets is requested fairly often.  My guess is that many people who uses MC for music have at least one boxed set.  I kludge mine by creating creating the box set art by using a disk 0 with its own cover art and a track that does not get played. It works for the visuals, although the disk/track listing is a little strange. Treating them as a special type of stack might also work.  Proper handling of boxed sets would be a very nice addition.

Back Album Art is a pretty common tag in other programs and should not be hard to add. Figuring out when to display it might be more complicated.

It seems like boxed sets and back album art would be nice additions, with boxed sets my priority.  A completely generalized solution might be very complicated, but just these two features would be nice.

georgem29

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 01:36:03 pm »

I hack box sets by putting the box set name in the Series field and putting the box set art in the ...\Cover Art\Series folder. That lets me build a view that shows Artist -> Box Set -> Album, with the appropriate art shown at each level.

A bit ungraceful, but it gives me the view I want.

EdBrady

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 09:58:31 pm »

Here's one that comes up for me a lot. I have a lot of singles in my library, many of which don't have picture sleeves. I scan the record label and include it in the file's tag as "media." MC ignores this, so once I've imported the file, I use cover art -> add from file to get it to show up.

I really don't know why this has to be complicated... MC should display everything that's in the file's tags. It should have been doing this all along.

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 03:48:33 am »

Handling cover art for boxed sets is requested fairly often.  My guess is that many people who uses MC for music have at least one boxed set.  I kludge mine by creating creating the box set art by using a disk 0 with its own cover art and a track that does not get played. It works for the visuals, although the disk/track listing is a little strange. Treating them as a special type of stack might also work.  Proper handling of boxed sets would be a very nice addition.

Back Album Art is a pretty common tag in other programs and should not be hard to add. Figuring out when to display it might be more complicated.

It seems like boxed sets and back album art would be nice additions, with boxed sets my priority.  A completely generalized solution might be very complicated, but just these two features would be nice.

As an interim-solution for boxed sets I tried to follow your suggestion by recreating a silent track with box cover photo and disc no 0 ("Zero"). I am not able to use zero as a number for a disc in an album. I leave it empty and MC does not list it at the top of the album (which is the only place to make sense). It is listed somewhere but not on top. I could move all disc nos to Disc+1. That works but I do not want to do that for all my box sets as it disturbs the disc numbering. Suggestion?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 07:17:29 am »

As an interim-solution for boxed sets I tried to follow your suggestion by recreating a silent track with box cover photo and disc no 0 ("Zero"). I am not able to use zero as a number for a disc in an album. I leave it empty and MC does not list it at the top of the album (which is the only place to make sense). It is listed somewhere but not on top. I could move all disc nos to Disc+1. That works but I do not want to do that for all my box sets as it disturbs the disc numbering. Suggestion?

Yes, I actually use a blank disc number, not a 0. Sorry for the confusion.  MC puts it at the end, which is fine with me. It is out of sight. It does display that cover as the thumbnail in my standard view, which is what I really want.  And, yes, I went to this rather than upping all the disc numbers by one, which can be confusing if you are trying to compare your view with the original source. 

I really would like JRiver to come up with a standard solution for this somewhat common problem.  My guess is that a large percentage of users have at least one multidisc album.
Pages: [1]   Go Up