INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A/B convoluter filter switch  (Read 1515 times)

spalmgre

• Recent member
A/B convoluter filter switch
« on: February 03, 2022, 04:37:01 am »

JRiver is broadly used as an FIR filter convoluter by many HiFi enthusiasts. It is easy to use and works fine.

Well, now there is a new convolver on the market at a price of 129$. It is Accurate Sounds "HL Convolver" that has been developed by Mitch Barnett.

Mitch is also a JRiver user and he has written about how you can alter between different filter setups in JRiver. We all know that it is possible but not fast or easy.

So Mitch has done something about this and is offering a solution to an obvious need that we HiFi tuning DIY users have.

This need is to be able to A/B test FIR filters, switch between these, and be able to adjust the volume to match the sound level between A and B filters.

Why not offer the same capabilities in JRiver DSP Studio.

Even just multiple buttons to the .cfg filter files would be an upgrade.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: A/B convoluter filter switch
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 11:36:14 am »

Would it work to simply save a few DSP presets?  They could have the filter, the volume configuration, etc.

Loading presets is pretty quick from DSP Studio.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 12:39:47 pm »

It would help but I don't think it would be seamless

I think you would also need to fix the reloading bug - https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Convolution#Config_File_Reloading

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 12:59:05 pm »

I think you would also need to fix the reloading bug - https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Convolution#Config_File_Reloading

Well changes to the filter file would require a reload.  That seems expected to me.

Maybe there could be a reload button, but I'm not sure that's a lot better than just reloading.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 01:37:45 pm »

Well changes to the filter file would require a reload.  That seems expected to me.
The bug is you literally have to restart mc completely, as in process exit

File watching or an explicit reload button would be nice though

spalmgre

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 05:34:44 am »

Would it work to simply save a few DSP presets?  They could have the filter, the volume configuration, etc.

Suggesting that it is as fast to use the existing features to change between filter shows how little there is an understanding of what and why Mitch has developed the HL Convolver.

He has after all been using JRiver for years and developed this competing software from a need of features that he can not get by using existing JRiver software.

skjenzen

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 10:47:52 pm »

Switching between convolver files takes almost no time. Just save the CFG file in a directory together with the WAW files for each filter. Switching between filters only demands stopping playback and pointing to the other CFG file. When playback starts again the new filter is active. Does not even require a restart of JRiver.
Source: PC, DSP XO in JRiver + PLLXO, DAC: Motu 1248
Amplifiers: First One M (6 channels - DIY)
Speaker: Dayton AMT4PRO/Monacor CTC DIY

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 10:09:28 am »

There is now the reload feature for convolution (which is great!), but for A/B of filters it would help if the edit box was modified to be a combo box, with say the last 5 filters cached in the dropdown for easy selection. 

Of course, not absolutely necessary but the ability to simply select from that combo drop box would make the process easier than having to browse/ find your comparison filter(s).

Usability wise would be a very nice to have.

Thanks

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 09:59:57 am »

There is now the reload feature for convolution (which is great!), but for A/B of filters it would help if the edit box was modified to be a combo box, with say the last 5 filters cached in the dropdown for easy selection.

Next build:
NEW: The convolution dialog will list the last 10 selected filters in a combobox for the path (instead of simply being an edit).

Thanks for the suggestion!

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 04:29:37 pm »

Thanks. Looking forward to the enhancement!
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h
Pages: [1]   Go Up