INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track Numbering Max Characters  (Read 1241 times)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
Track Numbering Max Characters
« on: February 15, 2022, 01:29:42 pm »

Have a folder with 100+ tracks which I would like to number sequentially. 
IIRC, in the past, using more than 2 characters did not work?! 
Can leading zeroes be used, e.g.., 003? 
I typically use format:  <track number> - <artist> - <track title>

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Track Numbering Max Characters
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 02:30:57 pm »

I'm making some assumptions here:

* You want these sequenced in the order they are on your screen; probably in a playlist
* You are trying to rename the files on disk

If that's true, then you can use this expression as part of your FILE pattern in the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool:

Code: [Select]
padnumber(CustomData(#),3)
The "3" makes it use 3 digits.  Change that number to change the number of digits.  "Customdata" provides a sequence number based upon the position in the list you are viewing.

Brian.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 11:53:13 am »

I'm making some assumptions here:

* You want these sequenced in the order they are on your screen; probably in a playlist
* You are trying to rename the files on disk

If that's true, then you can use this expression as part of your FILE pattern in the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool:

padnumber(CustomData(#),3)

Thanks, big!

Not being a Citizen of the Universe I do not know where to find "FILE pattern in the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool" tho' I did try to find it?!

Perhaps I should be more specific with my intended task...

Current 100+ file names in the folder are in format  <3-digit track number> <dot> <track title> <dot> <mp3.

Tracks are by various artists so I will need to back fill the names into the file names.

How should I edit the files names so when folder is imported, the fields for TRACK TITLE, ARTIST, TRACK NUMBER are displayed in MC.

Thanks.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 01:53:59 pm »

Are you saying you have 100-ish new files that are not yet imported into MC and you want to make sure they import with the right metadata?

If so, MP3s support ID3 tags, which are inside the file and hold the metadata (artist, album, song name, etc).  Most MP3s will have ID3 tags.

If they do not, reading metadata from the file name can be done, but it's not something I have very much skill at.

Brian.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 02:13:59 pm »

Import the files as bigentry suggested and if the tags are missing then Carnac should fill the fields from the filename (although the dot character in your scheme may confuse it). If it fails or is incorrect then use the "Fill Properties from Filename" tool. If the automatic mode doesn't parse correctly, then in the filename box you would have something like [Track #]. [Name] to parse them correctly.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 05:58:19 pm »

Are you saying you have 100-ish new files that are not yet imported into MC and you want to make sure they import with the right metadata?

If so, MP3s support ID3 tags, which are inside the file and hold the metadata (artist, album, song name, etc).  Most MP3s will have ID3 tags.

If they do not, reading metadata from the file name can be done, but it's not something I have very much skill at.

Brian.

Thanks <bigentry> and <Bryan>

Yes, I have 100-ish files in a folder with files in in format <3-digit track number> . <track title> . <mp3>
that I have not yet MANUALLY imported. 

Is there a way for me manually modify the format above so that files when imported will display the fields for TRACK TITLE, ARTIST, TRACK NUMBER?

I have never used AUTO IMPORT since I like to have control over what is being imported and have the time to review each imported folder for its appearance in MC.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 01:29:44 am »

just import manually if that is what you desire and then in MC select files and press F12 to enter "fill properties from filename".
In filename rule use your naming pattern as a template for getting tags from filename
<3-digit track number> . <track title> . <mp3>
I'm assuming that you really don't have those spaces around commas so use (if the spaces are there then just add them to rule also):
[Track #].[Name]

Done.

Notice that MC doesn't use padding internally with track number. (You can make MC to display it padded or rename the files with padded value anytime you want though)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2022, 07:32:11 am »

just import manually if that is what you desire and then in MC select files and press F12 to enter "fill properties from filename".
In filename rule use your naming pattern as a template for getting tags from filename
<3-digit track number> . <track title> . <mp3>
I'm assuming that you really don't have those spaces around commas so use (if the spaces are there then just add them to rule also):
[Track #].[Name]

Done.

Notice that MC doesn't use padding internally with track number. (You can make MC to display it padded or rename the files with padded value anytime you want though)

That seems easy enough, lepa.  Will give it a shot.

BTW, have no idea what "padding" means?!

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2022, 07:54:16 am »

Padding here (value 3 in your case) means every track numbers in your filenames are represented at least with 3 digits. So 1 becomes 001 with added zeroes in front

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 09:18:14 am »

Padding here (value 3 in your case) means every track numbers in your filenames are represented at least with 3 digits. So 1 becomes 001 with added zeroes in front

:)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 09:02:46 am »

OK, I manually imported the folder and then selected (highlighted) all tracks in MC.
Clicking F12, I see the FILL PROPERTIES.. option.

Based on posts, I should change the default [ARTIST]-[NAME]    to     [TRACK#]-[ARTIST]-[NAME]

To modify the PAD NUMBER, e.g., PADNUMBER (( CustomData (#), 3), how it this incorporated into the FILL PROPERTIES string?

BTW, there are 3 left "(" but only 2 right ")"?! Should another ")" be added at the end?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2022, 09:38:36 am »

You are talking about two different things: filename and MC's database item. With F12 you are filling database fields from filename. If you want to rename your files that a completely different thing. MC itself doesn't particularly care what the filename is as it is using those database fields to show things and is then more flexible than just using filename.

That said you can also mass rename files using MC database fields. Shortcut key for that is F6.

Rename Move Copy Tool (F6): to change filename (path remains the same in this example)
Choose rename and check just Filename and insert:
PadNumber([Track #],3) - [Artist] - [Name]it will rename your file using database fields [Track #], [Artist] and [Name], Track # is padded to 3 digits minimum.
Like: 024 - Beatles - Yesterday.mp3

There is a preview also for F12 tool so you can see that files are going to be renamed like you want

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2022, 10:56:27 am »

OK, used F6, RENAME, selected FILENAME entered string...

PadNumber ([Track #] , 3) - [Artist] - [Name]

NOTE: The track Names in the source folder are in format 001 - Artist - Name

Attached is MC screenshot after this RENAME.  Review shows no Artist OR Name in the displayed fields?!

Sorry!  What am I missing?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2022, 12:53:50 pm »

You're are missing the rule for filename :)
...See my previous post for example rule I made for you

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2022, 08:37:07 am »

You're are missing the rule for filename :)
...See my previous post for example rule I made for you

OK, this is what I did...

1) Selected first 10 tracks in the album in MC;
2) Hit F6 to access RENAME screen and selected FILENAME;
3) Entered character string     PadNumber (Track #)] , 3) - [Artist] - [Name]  (SEE ATTACHED SCREENSHOT)
4) FINALLY notice that needed RENAME screen to be displayed fullscreen to see selections at bottom;
5) Hit OK;
6) Got message that 10 filenames were changed; Accepted
7) Re-imported folder manually;
8) Track & Artist columns are still empty?!  (SEE ATTACHED SCREENSHOT0

Thoughts?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2022, 09:06:48 am »

It's because this isn't the case and you don't have artist tag set
Current 100+ file names in the folder are in format  <3-digit track number> <dot> <track title> <dot> <mp3.
Files in your picture are in format [track #] - [artist] - [perhaps disc# and track#]_[Name]. I don't know if you want to preserve or lose that disc# part or do you want to include that in the track name.... So you'll need to change F12 get properties from filename accordingly. Examples for three example choices below:

cd# track# is is saved to disc # field:
filename: [track #] - [artist] - V[disc #] []_[name]
cd# track# before songname is included to track name:
filename: [track #] - [artist] - [name]
cd# track# is completely ignored:
filename: [track #] - [artist] - []_[name]
If you already renamed your files then above obviously doesn't apply anymore. You can undo changes with ctrl+z if you like though

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2022, 09:40:32 am »

I think that what you may be missing is that you need a two step process:

1. Fill Properties from Filename (this is to populate your tags from existing filename)
2. Rename/Move/Copy files to use those tags to create your new filenames

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2022, 10:06:33 am »

I think we need to back up a step...or a bunch.  I am totally confused!  Both F12 and F6 have been mentioned including the string to be entered into the F6 screen to "pad" the track number to 3 digits incl leading zeros.

From the first screenshot, i.e., RENAME, you can see the existing path and file names which are in format [Track] - [Artist] - [Name], e.g., 001 - Wynonie Harris - Vf01 01 Tell A Whale Of Tale

The second screenshot shows how the manually imported folder displays in MC...sans track and artist in intended columns.

That being the case, how do I manually import the folder containing files in this format so that TRACK #, ARTIST, NAME show in the appropriate MC fields.

Sorry for being such an illiterati!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2022, 10:35:12 am »

I think we need to back up a step...or a bunch.  I am totally confused!  Both F12 and F6 have been mentioned including the string to be entered into the F6 screen to "pad" the track number to 3 digits incl leading zeros.

From the first screenshot, i.e., RENAME, you can see the existing path and file names which are in format [Track] - [Artist] - [Name], e.g., 001 - Wynonie Harris - Vf01 01 Tell A Whale Of Tale

The second screenshot shows how the manually imported folder displays in MC...sans track and artist in intended columns.

That being the case, how do I manually import the folder containing files in this format so that TRACK #, ARTIST, NAME show in the appropriate MC fields.

Sorry for being such an illiterati!

First step is to import all of your files. Your existing naming convention is non-standard so Carnac (MC's intelligent tag-filler) won't pick them up automatically. So you will need to select them all and use F12 (Fill Properties from Filename tool) and fill in your existing naming structure so that MC can fill the tags from the filename.

Next (after your tags have been filled) you can use F6 (Rename/Move/Copy tool) to rename the files using your new preferred naming convention (w/ padding, etc) based on the tags.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2022, 10:58:22 am »

Let's try to break it down. So yo want to:
1. Import files manually
2. Get metadata (artist, name, track# etc) from filename (tool started with F12)
3. Rename files according to your preferred template (tool started with F6)

1. Import files manually
So this one you've already done

2. Get metadata from filename (F12)
this is not needed if your files already have tag in place but this seems not the case so we use that tool which opens from F12. To get tags filled from filename your files needs to have consistent filename pattern. Let's take your example file: [Track] - [Artist] - [Name], e.g., 001 - Wynonie Harris - Vf01 01 Tell A Whale Of Tale.

There are three parts which we can identify with delimiter " - "
Wynonie Harris
Vf01 01 Tell A Whale Of Tale

So the rule to get tags from file with this kind of pattern
[Track #] - [Artist] - [Name]Which will get you
[Track #] = 1
[Artist] = Wynonie Harris
[Name] = Vf01 01 Tell A Whale Of Tale

Now there is that "Vf01 01 " in the Name. I don't know what you want do with that? I guess means "vf disc number 1 track number 1". it can be removed or saved by editing above rule a bit if wanted (see bonus images)

3. Rename files (F6)
Now that you got
[Track #] = 1
[Artist] = Wynonie Harris
[Name] = Vf01 01 Tell A Whale Of Tale
you can give rule using those tags as a filename template
rule:
PadNumber([Track #],3) - [Artist] - [Name]will result as
"001 - Wynonie Harris - Vf01 01 Tell A Whale Of Tale.mp3"

Attached images. Also two bonus pictures how to handle that "Vf01 01" prefix if wanted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up