INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermitent JRiver 28 App Nap Issue  (Read 2103 times)

ken6

• Recent member
Intermitent JRiver 28 App Nap Issue
« on: February 23, 2022, 01:15:17 pm »

I have intermittent JRiver 28 (now 105) freezes (App Nap Yes) on a Mac Mini (late 2014) running Big Sur (11.5.1).  These have occurred both when playing to a USB attached dac and to an iPad Mini used for JRemote.  Using the keyboard will sometimes start the music again, but it will shortly stop.  When this starts, it may also keep the display on (prevent sleep). 

JRiver is normally the only application used on the Mini.  Shutdown and OS restart seems the only fix.  Runs 24x7, when I am at this location.  JRemote (3.36 on an iPad Mini) control 99% of the time.  I do have a log file and reporter, if needed. 

Any suggestions?  Assume it is something unique to my setup.  Same hardware ran Sierra and JRiver 24 without issue.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Intermitent JRiver 28 App Nap Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 09:54:12 am »

Please send me the log. You'll likely need both the Previous Log.txt and Log.txt
bob (at) jriver (dot) com.
Thanks.

ken6

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 11:27:48 am »

Log sent.

Thanks!

Ken

ken6

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 11:08:17 am »

Yesterday PM, went to another room and started JRemote on player zone (MacMini) by mistake, so cleared Now Playing.  Probably first time clearing Now Playing since last issues.  Played last night and this am to This Device (iPad Mini connected to amp).  No issues. 

Returned to Player Zone on iPad Mini this am and the zone was unresponsive.  Closed JRemote and restarted it, eventually started but with erratic time display (jumps forward/back).  Played a couple of tracks and stopped at end of track, not end of album.

Went to keyboard on MacMini, J River App Nap showed Yes.  Unable to run Reporter, sections of JRiver display were unresponsive to mouse clicks.  Used the Report Problem to create log files.  Emailed report problem zip.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 10:46:23 am »

Yesterday PM, went to another room and started JRemote on player zone (MacMini) by mistake, so cleared Now Playing.  Probably first time clearing Now Playing since last issues.  Played last night and this am to This Device (iPad Mini connected to amp).  No issues. 

Returned to Player Zone on iPad Mini this am and the zone was unresponsive.  Closed JRemote and restarted it, eventually started but with erratic time display (jumps forward/back).  Played a couple of tracks and stopped at end of track, not end of album.

Went to keyboard on MacMini, J River App Nap showed Yes.  Unable to run Reporter, sections of JRiver display were unresponsive to mouse clicks.  Used the Report Problem to create log files.  Emailed report problem zip.
When the MC on the Mini is unresponsive do you try right-clicking on the icon in the dock and do "show all windows" to see if perhaps there is a hidden dialog window?

ken6

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 12:29:47 pm »

I did not.  Have changed locations, but brought the other Mini and will swap out the one at this location (same hardware running Sierra and Media Center 24.0.78) and retry.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 01:08:35 pm »

I'm very confused by this thread.  I have two macs with MC installed.  Neither of them seem to have the option for AppNap at all.  I can't enable or disable it.  Presumably this is because MC does not support AppNap?

I'm looking in the Get Info window of MC as accessed from Finder.  Maybe I'm looking the wrong place?

Second, if AppNap isn't working, how about turning it off?  I can't imagine it has any kind of significant impact on the system.

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2022, 01:26:11 pm »

I'm very confused by this thread.  I have two macs with MC installed.  Neither of them seem to have the option for AppNap at all.  I can't enable or disable it.  Presumably this is because MC does not support AppNap?

I'm looking in the Get Info window of MC as accessed from Finder.  Maybe I'm looking the wrong place?

Second, if AppNap isn't working, how about turning it off?  I can't imagine it has any kind of significant impact on the system.

Brian.
I just looked at this as well (the bigger picture)
Top hit on google is this:
https://www.howtogeek.com/277414/what-is-app-nap-is-it-slowing-down-my-mac-apps/

One of the conditions here:
 Hasn’t taken any IOKit power management or NSProcessInfo assertions.

Is true in the case of MC. MC takes IOKit power management assertions often.
Anytime you are playing that's in effect.
Anytime MC is actively serving files, that's in effect.

But when MC is sitting IDLE, there are no assertions set to prevent sleep.
If the OS forces MC idle when it's not sleeping I can see that causing issues.

ken6

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2022, 08:44:55 pm »

Thanks again for your assistance and time on this.
Started Mini with same iPad Mini (JRemote 3.36), after some normal play to Player, and This Device, I let sit for ~30 minutes.  Switched back to player zone and played normally.  Repeated, when I restarted the player zone from the Pad, it did not respond.  Went to keyboard and when I turned the monitor on and used the keyboard to go check for other windows (nothing showed), it started playing.    Played one album, then stopped and JRemote became sluggish/non responsive when I tried to play another album.  Turned on display, and when I started to check other windows (none apparent), it started playing.  Ran logs and will email.  Will also try again overnight.

Just for completeness, this is the physical Mini from the original issue, but there are a couple of differences in setup: 1) Monitor is HDMI attached rather than a Mini Display port to VGA dongle.  I turn this monitor off when not needed for startup/shutdown/etc (most of the time).  2) Output is USB to a Topping D10s for SPDIF conversion, then SPDIF (RCA) to an older Benchmark (early model, no USB input) rather than USB direct to an older Benchmark.

If differences in setup complicate this, I understand and can try rolling back to known good versions (Sierra/MC 24).  Also willing to try disabling App Nap, if thats the best solution and still available in recent versions of the OS.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 09:02:41 pm »

Is that from the beta I sent you?
It explicitly disables App nap upon startup.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2022, 09:36:56 am »

Are you using any sleep modes on this Mac Mini?  I.E. in Energy Saver are you allowing the computer to sleep?  Unless it is set to stay awake always, I would expect the computer to go to sleep, which would cause similar problems to what you are reporting.

Brian.

ken6

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 09:42:20 am »

No, did not see the DM.  Installed beta and running now.  Will try a few things and provide feedback.

Energy Saver is set to Display off after 15 min, Prevent Computer from sleeping when display off is checked, along with Wake on network access.

Thanks.  Ken

ken6

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2022, 11:47:37 am »

As a quick test after installing the beta, I played an album on Player zone, cleared Now Playing and swapped to This Device zone with nothing playing before going out for about an hour.  On return, started on This Device, started immediately.  Stopped. cleared Now Playing and swapped back to Player.  Selected an album and it started immediately, as it should.

Let me know if you want the logs from this, otherwise will continue running and see how it goes.  The issue has been very intermittent for several months and never really sure what sequence triggered it.

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2022, 12:02:23 pm »

That seems like great news!  :)

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2022, 12:03:58 pm »

Thanks for the feedback! No need to send logs unless the trouble crops back up.

ken6

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2022, 09:06:12 am »

All still good here.  Running without issue since installing the beta.  Usual overnight change of zones, now playing clearing, inactivity, etc.
Thanks again for your help!
Ken

ken6

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2022, 10:28:21 am »

Running without issues for a week now.  All activities normal.  Last check in unless I have problems.

Thanks for your prompt assistance!  Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up