INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended streaming device to work well with JRiver...?  (Read 584 times)

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
Recommended streaming device to work well with JRiver...?
« on: February 23, 2022, 09:05:35 pm »

Up to now (for the past four years) I've been using JRiver on a Windows 10 PC sending the audio out to two DACs directly from the USB ports on the PC, with my local library stored on a separate internal 4TB HDD (separate for the OS drive) and played from there (the library is also stored on an external drive solely for backup purpose). JRiver is optimized with the right ASIO drivers and everything configured to allow exclusive access by JRiver. (The two DACs are with one for PCM and the other bitstreaming DSD). I've been satisfied with the sound quality but others have told me I would benefit by having a streamer such as the ifi Zen Streamer or similar product. I have never used such a device and I don't know how it would interface with my PC and JRiver. I am old school and I like controlling my library and playback on a computer with full size monitor, keyboard and mouse (I don't even like tablets and touch screens, and I surely don't want to be using any app on my android phone to play JRiver and view my library).

Is getting a streamer a good idea? Would it improve sound quality (cleaning up the "dirty USB")? Is there a model that would allow me to use Windows desktop version of JRiver as the controller, assuming I would be playing local files stored on a standalone drive as opposed to an internal drive in the PC? All of this is confusing to me. I'd just as soon leave things as they are but if it will make a difference from an audiophile standpoint to use a dedicated music server (or streamer, not sure if the two are different or synonymous) with linear PSU & optimized USB, and I can implement it without losing my nut or breaking the bank, then I'm game. FYI I have an entry level audiophile system* so I'm not sure if it will reveal any minor or subtle benefits in fidelity, so that's another question.

* Rega Brio amp, OPPO UDP-205 & Rega DAC-R, Spendor A6R speakers and REL t9i subwoofer
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

Wheaten

Re: Recommended streaming device to work well with JRiver...?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 12:40:24 am »

Hi,

In basic every streaming device that works with uPnP/DNLA can be used as player from the JRiver interface. however if you'll notice any differences in sound quality is a personal thing. As long as you're in the digital domain (everything before your reach the DAC) it won't make a noticeable difference.
Unless you have a bad USB port on your PC, or a PSU that spikes through the USB port.
The majority of DACS have their own clock with PLL that takes care of jitter caused by the PC.

• An easy test to perform is picking a random song in JRiver, put it to "Pause" and crank up the volume op your amp. If this is causing noise/cracks you know there is a problem with the setup (most likely the PC). If it stays silent, your OK.
  • A 2nd test you can do is running a track with digital silence and see if your setup is still quiet, when cranking up the volume of your amp.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 08:11:15 am »

In basic every streaming device that works with uPnP/DNLA can be used as player from the JRiver interface. however if you'll notice any differences in sound quality is a personal thing. As long as you're in the digital domain (everything before your reach the DAC) it won't make a noticeable difference.
Unless you have a bad USB port on your PC, or a PSU that spikes through the USB port.
The majority of DACS have their own clock with PLL that takes care of jitter caused by the PC.
Amen.  There is no reason to presume that adding more links/boxes to the digital signal path will make a positive difference.  I have a DAC with a USB input as well as a built-in uPnP/DNLA streamer with an ethernet port.  Switching between the direct USB link and the LAN link makes no difference at all. 
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 09:42:46 am »

Thank you both for your simple and sensible advice! I performed both tests @Wheaten suggestion and my PC passed. Dead quiet with volume at 10. You have saved me some money and headaches. Why fix it if it ain't broke. Best regards to you...
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel
Pages: [1]   Go Up