INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic Question re sourcing from a different hard drive  (Read 1781 times)

Dave_dimartino

Basic Question re sourcing from a different hard drive
« on: February 26, 2022, 10:12:32 pm »

Hello, first time I’ve posted here, and I'm not sure this is where this post belongs, so apologies, but have been using JRiver for many years now and remain a little bit puzzled.

This issue has been discussed here many times, yet each time I look, the answer I’m looking for is discussed in terms that assume a familiarity with the program I do not have. So I am puzzled, and have not done much to solve the problem.

Here is the issue: I have a hard drive that has housed the source files of many of my JRiver files, but I have been notified the drive itself is going bad, and I should replace the drive with a new one. So I have.

I have an additional HD upon which I have copied every relevant file that is on the former, going-bad drive.

So now I would like to see if, ideally, if there is one bulk REPLACEMENT move I can make to point the JRiver library to the second HD source rather than the first. Everything on the second drive is literally a clone of what is on the first, going-dysfunctional drive.

So, for example, for some albums my JRiver program currently points to the following location:

/Volumes/2020Seagate/New Bedroom Files as of 01.01.2020/Compilations/Forever/

But I would like to make it point to this instead:

/Volumes/2021Sgat8tb/New Bedroom Files as of 01.01.2020/Compilations/Forever

Ideally, I would like to use a replace command that change everything pointing to

/Volumes/2020Seagate/New Bedroom Files as of 01.01.2020/Compilations/Forever/

To

/Volumes/2021Sgat8tb/New Bedroom Files as of 01.01.2020/Compilations/Forever

It seems to my unsophisticated eyes that if I could simply REPLACE all mentions of 

/Volumes/2020Seagate

with

/Volumes/2021Sgat8tb/

…it would work.

Am I wrong? Is there an easy way to do this? And if so, would someone be kind enough to provide a step-by-step commands guide?

I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks!

w_axlrose1

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Basic Question re sourcing from a different hard drive
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 12:43:25 pm »

1. Ensure you make a backup of your existing library before making any changes. File > Library > Backup Library.

2. Select all of your music files so that they are highlighted.

3. Press F6 to bring up the Rename, Move & Copy window.

4. Down the left hand side uncheck all of the boxes except for Find and Replace.

5. In the Find What box enter /Volumes/2020Seagate/

6. In the Replace With box enter /Volumes/2021Sgat8tb/

7. Click OK

Maybe test it with only a couple of albums to begin with to ensure it works as expected.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Basic Question re sourcing from a different hard drive
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 01:41:00 pm »

IMPORTANT:
On the Rename/Move/Copy window, make sure you select "Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move or copy)".
Pages: [1]   Go Up