INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Universal remote rec that works well with MC  (Read 3286 times)

Denti

• Citizen of the Universe
Universal remote rec that works well with MC
« on: March 02, 2022, 11:22:38 am »

I am currently using a Logitech Harmony 665. It’s great for everything except MC. All I want is to be able to navigate Theater Mode. This uses basic Windows commands, but for some reason there is a delay, so that I cannot scroll through my movies/music smoothly the way I can with the various generic Windows remotes I have. I’ve worked with tech support at Logitech for many months and they basically have given up. So my question is: what can I use to replace the Harmony that will function well with MC?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and help.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: Universal remote rec that works well with MC
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 07:52:31 am »

Maybe try a FLIRC with your current remote.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 08:59:18 am »

I use a Media Center Remote most days.  It works perfectly.

At one time, Logitech's software caused problems.  You could try uninstalling it, just to test.

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 09:16:45 am »

Yes, FLIRC works really well with JRiver MC.
Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

Denti

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 12:23:53 pm »

I use a Media Center Remote most days.  It works perfectly.

At one time, Logitech's software caused problems.  You could try uninstalling it, just to test.

I think I haven’t been clear about what I want. I have two great, cheap remotes that work *perfectly* with MC, one a generic Windows thing and the other a generic keyboard/remote combo. No issues.

What I want is a remote that can duplicate the main commands from these (mainly up, down, left, right, ok) that I can *also* program to control everything else in my room: projector, DAC, DVD player, receiver. The Harmony I have does the latter fine. And it can *mimic* the Windows commands, but they are not fluid at all. I cannot scroll through MC like I can with the cheap Windows remotes. Too much delay.

I have spent months and hours on the phone troubleshooting this delay. Logitech cannot fix it. I’m done with them. What I’m asking is: is there another, programmable, universal remote like the Harmony that will output the Media Center commands without a problem. Surely I’m not the only one who wants to be able to do this.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 03:02:24 pm »

I think the only alternative that would come close is the SofaBaton. But a whole new remote is unnecessary to fix your issue because w/ FLIRC you can bypass whatever Logitech is doing on the network that is causing delay issues and just control the box directly via IR->MCE commands or keyboard input.

Wheaten

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 03:09:34 pm »

As I don't see how you programmed the remote, do you get the same delays's if you let the logitech learn the needed commands from one of the cheap remotes?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 03:18:02 pm »

Does the remote have a configuration option for WMC?  That should work.

Denti

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 04:20:11 pm »

Does the remote have a configuration option for WMC?  That should work.
Yes, it does and they work. But the delay is an issue. I have tried everything, believe me. I have tried teaching the remote the commands. I have tried adjusting the delay settings. The tech support people at Logitech have gone in and made further adjustments to the delay. Nothing works. I just end up using two remotes, which defeats the whole purpose of the universal remote.

I don’t understand what FLIRC is and how that would help me overcome the issue. Can someone explain. Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 04:57:09 pm »

Windows Media Center can cause problems and MC has an option to disable it in the Theater View settings.

Try Googling how to disable it altogether.  I have a vague recollection about something called ehome.  Renaming it?

Denti

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 05:03:57 pm »

Again, I’m not having issues with Windows Media Center or MC. I’m having issues getting my universal remote to function like my generic remotes that I use to navigate MC.

EdBrady

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 09:10:59 pm »

I went through this sort of issue years ago and settled on using a wireless keyboard/touchpad combo to control MC and other computer functions, plus a universal remote to control AV gear. I don't think there's any universal remote that works well with a computer.

Denti

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 08:09:35 am »

I went through this sort of issue years ago and settled on using a wireless keyboard/touchpad combo to control MC and other computer functions, plus a universal remote to control AV gear. I don't think there's any universal remote that works well with a computer.
Bummer. And surprising! You’d think there would be a simple solution to this.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2022, 08:30:50 am »

Bummer. And surprising! You’d think there would be a simple solution to this.

There is, it's the FLIRC.

Denti

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 08:35:05 am »

There is, it's the FLIRC.
OK, ordered one. Will report back.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2022, 08:47:01 am »

I have this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Control-iPhone-Android-Black/dp/B00C80JGGO

It works so well, I have two, one for the living room, and one for the bedroom. How well does it work? My wife, who has unbelievable levels of tech-anxiety, can just pick it up and use it, oblivious to the fact that she's actually operating a PC.

The scrolling, as in, left-right-up-down? I had to go into the keyboard settings and slow the repeat setting down by 'quite a lot' to stop one long press from going instantly from top to bottom.... maybe, you need to speed yours up? Though, with all the support you've had, someone has to have tried that, right?

Our new, fanless, HTPC, did not have an IR receiver, so, I bought a FLIRC for it, and out of the box, it only needed minor tweaking to interpret all of the signals received from the previous HTPC box, which used default Media Center remote commands, with just a few custom tweaks.

In terms of hassle free user experience, these two remotes are hands-down, the best value for money I've spent to date on PC hardware.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2022, 01:25:32 pm »

Been using generic WMC IR USB receiver with Harmony Ultimate + Hub for years. Preset for WMC, no lag, no issues.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Windows Defender Exclusions •ṈØ 3rd party AV •4 OTA & 6 Cable SiliconDust Tuners •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700HѫFluance 7.2.2[FH] •SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2022, 02:27:38 pm »

I use a simple programmable remote from "Oneforall" together with Flirc.
This way I can turn on and off my projector.
Control my Receiver
Navigate with arrow keys in JRiver
Start/go to full screen/turn off JRiver
and so on, all from one remote

and the remote is easy to program, just point the original remote towards the Oneforall remote and send ir-codes that way.
Same basic principle with Flirc.
Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

Denti

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2022, 12:16:06 pm »

FLIRC works. Thanks!

sla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2022, 03:07:23 pm »

also Universal Remote Controls remotes work like a champ https://www.urc-automation.com/product-category/complete-control/ or old Philips pronto remotes... they all have pre-set database of other remotes including WMC... So you basically use any Universal Remote to learn WMC codes and can control JRiver by that... I also use Intel CIR and I am able to start Audio Server with a press of the button.
JRiver on Silent/Fanless STREACOM FC5 EVO -> DSD through Firewire on Mytek 192 DSD -> CODA 05r pre/CODA 10.5 amp -> Sonics Amerigo Speakers
Pages: [1]   Go Up