INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frame Interpolation  (Read 2165 times)

Smack

• World Citizen
Frame Interpolation
« on: February 15, 2022, 09:51:48 am »

And another question regarding AMD gpus. AMD offers a build in FI. Is it possible to use the FI in JRVR?

Smack

• World Citizen
Re: Frame Interpolation
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 12:12:30 pm »

FI is Frame Interpolation.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 03:22:19 pm »

I don't know Hendrik's plans for FI (if any), but I'm curious on why you would want FI on an HTPC? 
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 04:22:01 pm »

We don't currently plan any form of interpolation. _Maybe_ we might do something like madVRs Smooth Motion, but thats not actually interpolation, and even that is questionable if its going to happen.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

DocCharky

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 02:54:07 am »

I don't know Hendrik's plans for FI (if any), but I'm curious on why you would want FI on an HTPC?
Well, many people (including myself) can't stand the chopiness of raw unprocessed 23p/24p.

I like to use a tad of frame interpolation on my displays (think 3 or 4 on a scale of 10). Enough to make things look a bit smoother, but not enough to introduce soap opera effect.
Charky

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."

Smack

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 06:53:14 am »

I need the FI because when playing 4K videos the internal FI from Epson doesn’t work.

I really would like to play the movies in 60fps.

There is a program called SVP which does this. Maybe it will work with JRVR?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 07:04:44 am »

Could you see if you can solve this by setting up two profiles?  Use Zones and ZoneSwitch.  The wiki has topics.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 02:30:34 pm »

Could you see if you can solve this by setting up two profiles?  Use Zones and ZoneSwitch.  The wiki has topics.

This will not work for what Smack is wanting to do.  FI on his Epson only works with 1080p/24 material and is disabled on UHD material.  Looks like for those that want FI, it should be done at the HTPC's Renderers end. 

Well, many people (including myself) can't stand the chopiness of raw unprocessed 23p/24p.

I like to use a tad of frame interpolation on my displays (think 3 or 4 on a scale of 10). Enough to make things look a bit smoother, but not enough to introduce soap opera effect.

Thanks - I have the same issue with my own footage.  I normally shoot in 50fps @ 360 degree shutter and find that traditional 25fps @ 180 degree shutter looks comparably poor due to the lack of motion blur (but that is normally due to consumer devices running at too high of a shutter speed and my own poor technique with panning speed).  I can add some motion blur in post when increasing the temporal resolution on 25fps material on a 50fps timeline (eg similar to FI), and while it works it can produce some artefacts.  While I absolutely understand and hate the judder issue with low temporal resolution footage (eg 24/25fps), I (personally) find it less of an issue with commercial content as film studios absolutely understand the issue and how to minimise it both when shooting and in post processing their material accordingly. 
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 02:48:36 pm »

FYI - the underlying library's to JRVR does support FI but I don't know how well it works (or how compute intensive they are) as the notes say:

This allows libplacebo to perform rudimentary frame mixing / interpolation, in order to eliminate judder artifacts typically associated with source/display frame rate mismatch.

It is also aimed at the situation where "frame rate <> refresh rate" rather than what I presume would be the desired "frame rate x Integer = refresh rate".  One issue, is that out of the box most GPUs and Displays will not do a 48hz (ish) style refresh rate.  Some HDMI 2.1 equipment will do 72 or 120hz which may work very well for such material.  I'm not sure FI from 23.976 to a non integer multiple (say to 50/59.94/60) will look very good as you would have an unequal # of frame timing over a second. 

Anyway, this is all just thinking outloud as you would need to convince Hendrik that the development of the feature is even worthwhile. 
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 03:50:53 pm »

FYI - the underlying library's to JRVR does support FI but I don't know how well it works (or how compute intensive they are) as the notes say:

It does not, it supports a SmoothMotion type feature. But there are a bunch of technical complications in using it, and the value has always been a bit on the questionable side to me, so I'm not sure yet.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 04:05:40 pm »

Fair Enough.  Personally, I've never like the look of what madVR smooth motion does (but each to their own and I can understand why some may want it).
JRiver CEO Elect

DocCharky

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2022, 08:58:34 am »

I think that it very much depends on the display. On my 60 Hz locked PC monitors (and laptops), madvr SM looks fine, but on my OLED TV and my projector, it just looks bad. I never bothered to tinker with it though...
Charky

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2022, 10:53:29 pm »

I *might* be interested in this, depending on implementation.
However, it'd only be for a small subset of lower resolution (c. 240px, ~15fps RealMedia FWIW)

Don't forget that not everything in everybody's libraries is perfect HD decent bitrate stuff :)

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2022, 04:04:44 pm »

This will not work for what Smack is wanting to do.  FI on his Epson only works with 1080p/24 material and is disabled on UHD material.  Looks like for those that want FI, it should be done at the HTPC's Renderers end. 

I confirm, with my TW9400 I can only activate FI with 1080p24.

And it's a real shame because there are films, such as 1917, in which the FI would avoid so many headaches

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2022, 04:55:09 pm »

FYI - 1917 has scenes using very high shutter speeds to deliberately give it that harsh stuttery look.  The idea was to make the viewer off put and edgy in these parts.  It works.  Other scenes have more of the std motion blur.
JRiver CEO Elect

justsomeguy

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2022, 10:21:32 pm »

There is a program called SVP which does this. Maybe it will work with JRVR?

Yup, SVP (Smooth Video Project) works well. I've used it for years now, first with madvr and now with JRVR.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2022, 12:11:10 am »

And with which CPU and GPU?

justsomeguy

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2022, 12:49:38 am »

And with which CPU and GPU?

CPU a 3770K and 4670K
GPU a GTX 970 and an old Radeon HD 6950

adolfotregosa

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2022, 02:52:04 pm »

This is the one thing I don't get it, why so little attention on this, ESPECIALLY for linux because the lack of tv refresh rate change within JRiver and I even I managed to achieve that using this -> https://gitlab.com/lvml/mpv-plugin-xrandr

Using MPV with options --video-sync=display-resample --interpolation

mpv --hwdec=auto-safe --video-sync=display-resample --interpolation moviefile.mkv  and see for yourself.

This especially for OLEDs displays is a god sent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up