INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shield Update to Android 11 Broke JRiver App  (Read 6078 times)

bmcm

• Recent member
Shield Update to Android 11 Broke JRiver App
« on: January 25, 2022, 06:03:52 pm »

I have had JRiver for Android working for a long time on my Nvidia Shield. I could load a library from my PC-based MC instance and play music and video files. Recently, the Shield received an update to Android 11. After that update, the JRiver app still worked as expected on the Shield.

In the course of debugging a problem I was having with playing a large MKV BD video using JRiver on the Shield, I uninstalled the JRiver app and reinstalled it from the Google Play Store. Now I cannot get anything to work on the JRiver app on the Shield. The app no longer sees my MC library on the network so I cannot load a library. Also, the app will no longer load music files stored locally on a memory stick plugged into the Shield's USB port. Previously, the app would successfully do both of these things. The first time, and only the first time, I start the app after a fresh install, the following message pops up:

"This app will not work properly if storage permission is not accepted" (I must then click on "OK")

The message pops up only one time after a fresh install.

I have looked for but cannot find any setup menu that allows me to "accept storage permission" - whatever that means. It seems that updating the Shield to Android 11 broke the JRiver app.

Does anyone know anything about this behavior I am experiencing with the JRiver app?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Shield Update to Android 11 Broke JRiver App
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 06:07:10 pm »

It must be a security setting somewhere in Android.

BradATIMA

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 11:10:31 pm »

Google made some changes to the permissions beginning in Android 11. We had to change them in the app and it created a permission conflict. You should be able to resolve it by clearing the app data or uninstalling and reinstalling at the moment. The next update should have a fix for it.

bmcm

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 04:25:46 pm »

Thank you for the reply.

BradATIMA

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 07:04:37 pm »

After looking at it again, there probably isn't anything you can do to resolve it at the moment. It's, at least partially, a result of permission changes in Android 11. There should be a fix in the next update for it.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 04:20:52 pm »

I'm running into the exact same problem described by bmcm.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 03:26:41 pm »

After looking at it again, there probably isn't anything you can do to resolve it at the moment. It's, at least partially, a result of permission changes in Android 11. There should be a fix in the next update for it.

Do you have any timeline for this fix?

BradATIMA

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 04:56:28 pm »

Do you have any timeline for this fix?

Hopefully in the next couple of days.

Ekpen

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 10:12:35 am »

hello:
I am experiencing similar playback  issues with all 3 Shields in the house with MO4media installed.
mkv s, 1080P, uhd, and dolby vision will not play . Mo4media with external player setting using vlc will also not play.
But outside the shields, vlc, plays fine ,same with MO4media installed directly on the Bravia tvs.
For further testing, I recently uninstalled MO4dedia on the shiled, then re-installed, still no luck getting anything to play.
I am thinking, this isa shield related issue.
Maybe there is a workaround with all MC remotes.
George.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 12:38:31 pm »

Hopefully in the next couple of days.

Several days ago, I got an alert on my Shield for a new update. The description mentioned a fix for problems with storage permissions. I assumed this would fix the problems I'm having with the JRiver app. So I went ahead with the update. It didn't fix JRiver problems.

I assume JRiver still needs to fix something on their end. "next couple of days" was over a week ago. Any more info?

BradATIMA

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2022, 06:39:37 pm »

It's a complicated problem. Android 11 implemented new restrictions on network information, which broke all the media network stuff in the app, so we're working on getting it working again.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2022, 05:39:35 pm »

It's a complicated problem. Android 11 implemented new restrictions on network information, which broke all the media network stuff in the app, so we're working on getting it working again.

OK, please reply here when you have it working.

THANKS

Ekpen

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2022, 10:18:10 pm »

Several days ago, I got an alert on my Shield for a new update. The description mentioned a fix for problems with storage permissions. I assumed this would fix the problems I'm having with the JRiver app. So I went ahead with the update. It didn't fix JRiver problems.

I assume JRiver still needs to fix something on their end. "next couple of days" was over a week ago. Any more info?
Shield update 9.0.1 fixed nothing.
I still have to reboot Shield each time I pl;an to load a movie using Mo4media.
After a reboot, movies will play maybe one or two, then the issues comes back.
George Omoregie

BradATIMA

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2022, 03:38:24 pm »

We just posted a new build that should resolve the Media Network issues on Android 11+. Once Google clears it, it should be available.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2022, 06:56:28 pm »

We just posted a new build that should resolve the Media Network issues on Android 11+. Once Google clears it, it should be available.

I installed the update and tried running it. My server's library shows up on the list. After I select it, the progress circle rotates and then seems to finish. But the selected library doesn't change to the server. It just stays on the default library.

I rebooting my Shield and tried again. It's still not loading the library on my server.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2022, 08:43:16 pm »

Try rebooting the server and then reconnecting.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2022, 10:52:33 pm »

Try rebooting the server and then reconnecting.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. By server, I meant I am running Media Center on my computer. I have enabled 'Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA'.

After restarting Media Center and trying again on my Shield, it still doesn't properly load the library I'm trying to share.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2022, 05:14:18 am »

Try waiting longer.

BradATIMA

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2022, 07:42:55 am »

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app on the Shield.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2022, 10:33:24 am »

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2022, 03:50:33 pm »

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app on the Shield.

Just tried uninstalling / installing, still not working. Again, when I load my library, it shows the circular progress graphic but when it finishes, it doesn't say 'library loaded' or anything. It just shows the gray screen. When I navigate the app to play something, there's nothing there. So I go back to load my library and it shows the 'Main Library' as the active library, not my 'Library Server'.

I recently purchased a new computer and installed a fresh copy of Media Center v28. I then loaded a backup of my library. Is there anything in my Media Network settings I need to change?

My router settings haven't changed since JRiver for for Android was working.

Interestingly... My 'SHIELD Android TV' does appear on my list of zones. So I can play from my computer to my SHIELD.

BradATIMA

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2022, 04:52:19 pm »

Are you not seeing the success dialog when it finishes? Does it just stay in the load library screen after?

It sounds like it's failing to load the library, but I'm not sure why. The only time I have seen this happen is when the app thinks the library server is there, but it actually isn't.

So far, I haven't been able to reproduce this issue. Do you have another Android device you can test with?

What version of Media Center is the library server?

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2022, 05:15:12 pm »

No, when it seems to finish, there's no longer any library loaded message. After the loading library progress screen disappears, the focus goes back to the Load Library button(?). When I pick it, it still shows the Main Library with the blue book before it, which I assume means this is the currently loaded library.

I agree, it is failing to load my server library from my PC. The only other Android device I have is my smartphone. It runs JRemote2 just fine. I just installed JRiver for Android on it and after loading my server library it finished with the message "Library loaded successfully." Before loading the library, it asked for my username and password. The JRiver for Android running on my SHIELD didn't ask for this or my access key.

BradATIMA

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2022, 06:22:24 pm »

So, the library server you're trying to load has authentication enabled, correct?

Does the machine the library server is on have any special firewall?

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2022, 06:50:05 pm »

So, the library server you're trying to load has authentication enabled, correct?

Does the machine the library server is on have any special firewall?

I have both 'Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA' and 'Authentication' enabled.

As for any special firewall, not sure. My new PC is running Windows 11 Pro. My previous machine, which had none of these problems, was running Windows 10 Home.

BradATIMA

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2022, 09:27:00 am »

Could you try disabling authentication on the server as a test?

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2022, 03:43:41 pm »

Could you try disabling authentication on the server as a test?

Alright, I disabled authentication. Now I get a message saying the library loaded successfully.

So I navigated to my smart playlists and tried to play something. I may not have waited long enough but it was taking fairly long to load the playlist. I tried backing out. Then the screen just went gray. So I exited the app and launched it again. When you relaunch, you have to load the server library (it would be nice if it automatically loaded the last active library). This time, I got messages that the library failed to load. Then I exited again, using Android app controls, I forced the app to stop, cleared the data, and then opened it again. It loaded the library successfully and I was able to navigate to a playlist and play.

BradATIMA

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2022, 05:16:33 pm »

It actually will automatically load the last loaded library. It will default back to the local library if it fails to load the library server.

So, it sounds like clearing the app data helped, or are you still experiencing connection issues?

bmcm

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2022, 02:20:53 pm »

JRiver for Android TV version 28.0.106 is now available for download on Google Play Store on the SHIELD. I downloaded and installed it, and everything works as expected again. I can load my library and play music from my playlists. I can play videos. I can even play the large MKV BD video that was not playing previously.

In my opinion, JRiver for Android TV is functioning pretty well on my SHIELD. It is still a bit glitchy, but the basic functionality seems solid. The cosmetic appearance of the screens could be better, but I am getting increasingly happy with using JRiver on my SHIELD as my primary AV machine.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2022, 12:46:20 am »

It actually will automatically load the last loaded library. It will default back to the local library if it fails to load the library server.

So, it sounds like clearing the app data helped, or are you still experiencing connection issues?

So far, so good. I'll report back if I come across more problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up