INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OSD behaviour of TV Recording (Theater View)  (Read 1319 times)

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
OSD behaviour of TV Recording (Theater View)
« on: March 15, 2022, 05:52:11 am »

Greatday Yaobing, MC team,

Would it be possible to have a look at the OSD when playing TV recordings:

When playing such a recording the OSD will be actually be displaying the same layout/content as when playing the program 'live'.
It gets confusing when then pushing the left or right arrow as we expect the channel to change, but since it's a recording it doesn't (logic).

In some cases you'll start to play a recorded program, forget you aren't watching live and try to skip the channel.

Would a more distinct indication be helpfull ? Adding some icon ?

Thank you for your time and feedback.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: OSD behaviour of TV Recording (Theater View)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 08:56:24 am »

...It gets confusing when then pushing the left or right arrow as we expect the channel to change, but since it's a recording it doesn't...
I've never used left/right arrows to change channels during live tv. For me, those buttons work as (time shift) skipping back/forward in the video. They work the same for live tv, or a recorded program, or movie, or any video. If I need to change channels during live tv, I use the channel up/down buttons.

...you'll start to play a recorded program, forget you aren't watching live and try to skip the channel...
Confused... You are playing a recorded program, why would you want to change the channel? Changing channels is live tv.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 09:03:24 am »

When a recording that is still going on is played, we load the TV engine that is doing the recording.  We do this because regular video engine can not handle files that are growing.

That is why you see it behave as if you are playing live TV.

It gets confusing when then pushing the left or right arrow as we expect the channel to change, but since it's a recording it doesn't (logic).

I don't quite understand what you try to say here.

When you use UP or DOWN arrows to show OSD, one of the things displayed is the "Program Info".  If you are recording, the program name has the red icon to indicate recording is going on.  While the Program Info is in display, you can use LEFT or RIGHT arrow to display the info on adjacent channels.  Pressing OK/ENTER while the program info on an adjacent channel is shown will let you change to that new channel, provided you still have an idle tuner to handle it.

The same can be said about using the Channel Up and Channel Down buttons on a remote control.  MC will just leave the tuner that is recording and switch to a different channel using the next available tuner.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 11:37:19 am »

Great day and thanks to both of you for your reaction,

Yes exactly Yaobing and this is what i was referring to:

When you use UP or DOWN arrows to show OSD, one of the things displayed is the "Program Info".  If you are recording, the program name has the red icon to indicate recording is going on.  While the Program Info is in display, you can use LEFT or RIGHT arrow to display the info on adjacent channels.  Pressing OK/ENTER while the program info on an adjacent channel is shown will let you change to that new channel, provided you still have an idle tuner to handle it.

I do agree the GUI is very consequent and handles within the same way no matter what's playing. Extremely well done.

The specific case I'm mentioning:
a/ Playing a recording.
b/ Due to the exact same layout and content displayed of the "Program Info", it could seems one is watching the program 'live' and so would be able to change the channel.
OK, thru, it gets clear when the channel doesn't change, 100% agreed. But could indeed also mean you've run out of resources.

Maybe a more distinct icon which indicates On Air or Live could make sense ?

Nothing of a big deal, maybe it could bring a more clear indication.

Thanks again for your help and have a nice day both of you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up