INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC28 crashes when converting audio formats  (Read 908 times)

knasil2

• Recent member
MC28 crashes when converting audio formats
« on: March 18, 2022, 09:18:40 am »

The full version number of MC: 28.0.106 (64 bit)

A description of the issue: JRiver MC Crashes when trying to convert several different .MP3 files (with various bitrates, from 32 to 128 kbps, of various lengths and sizes) to .MP3 files (we're trying to encode with 64 kbps, but we've discovered the issue occurs with any bitrate) using CBR/ABR Encoding. We found the issue difficult to reproduce with small files, but the issue is consistent with a file 60MB in size and an hour long

Step-by-step instructions on how you reproduce the issue (whenever possible): Opening JRiver, browsing to a file, right clicking on the file, selecting "Convert Format" in the drop down menu, (modifying options isn't nessecary to cause the crash, but our options are 64 kpbs, CBR Enabled) and clicking the big button labeled "Convert". J River crashed directly to windows without a black screen or error message.

The steps you've taken to investigate or address the issue (see above). We've tried different sizes and formats, we tried on different hardware.

Any patterns you've noticed during testing (see above): We've found that the problem is difficult (but not impossible) to reproduce with smaller files, but is consistent and reproducible with large files (Over 1 hour in length and over 50 MB in size

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC28 crashes when converting audio formats
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 09:39:24 am »

I've been working on Monkey's Audio files bigger than 4GB, so I have WAV and APE files I can test convert.

I have a 13 hour file.

I converted to MP3 at 64k CBR and that worked.

Then I converted that MP3 to 64k CBR and that also worked.

So unfortunately I can't reproduce.  I'm using the 64-bit version.

Any other tips?  You might share a crash dump after your crash.

You could also try MC29.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

knasil2

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 12:46:28 pm »

Thank you for the help.

So far, I've found a workaround; encoding these files to .ogg format and THEN into 64k CBR .mp3 seems to work.

We'll keep looking to see if we can find another clue, and hopefully this issue might be resolved in MC29.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 01:25:15 pm »

Disk space?
Pages: [1]   Go Up