INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Update seems to have broken MC 28 and 29  (Read 563 times)

mikepellegrini

• Recent member
Windows Update seems to have broken MC 28 and 29
« on: April 13, 2022, 06:28:20 pm »

Windows update did its thing last night and now neither MC28 or 29 work.  You open the program, click on a file, for an instant it says "buffering" and then they crash.

Win 10 Home, fully updated.  The updates installed last night we KB4578968, KB5011487 and Servicing stack 10.0.19041.1613.

My other - un-updated -  machines still work fine. As was this machine, pre-update.  Can't imagine what else would have caused this.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Windows Update seems to have broken MC 28 and 29
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 06:32:27 pm »

Configure Windows Defender.  Any other antivirus?

I imagine you probably rebooted.

mikepellegrini

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 06:58:38 pm »

My solution was to do a system restore.  And I turned Windows Update off.  MC28 works; I'll have to reinstall 29, because the restore point was before I installed that.

I am using Windows Defender but I've never had a problem with it.  And Malwarebytes Anti-exploit beta - and never had a problem with that. And like I said, the timing was suspicious because MC stopped working just after having installed the three Windows Updates.

And oh yeah.  I rebooted all over the place.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 09:55:14 pm »

Uninstall Malwarebytes, as a test.

Definitely configure Windows Defender.

mikepellegrini

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 11:57:33 pm »

Configure Windows Defender in what particular manner? Specifically, change what? How?

Malwarebytes Anti-exploit is remarkably non-buggy. The times in the past when Anti-exploit has stopped something (false alarms cause by MS Word macros - long ago) it had a pop-up that said it'd blocked whatever.   

I saw nothing like that when MC 28 and MC 29 crashed. Just, "poof" and it's gone, no explanation.  I restarted multiple times, first trying MC29 over and over, then restarted a few more times trying MC28.  Poof.  Then for variety, I tried VLC player and it worked great.

According to the Windows Update history on my machine, the only things updated on 4/12/22 were Windows Updates, not the virus definitions.  I read the changelogs for the updates; there were security fixes, among other things.  It was a hodgepodge of stuff, like all MS updates.

So like I said before, particularly because of the timing - happening directly after the Windows Update was installed, it's hard to believe Windows Update was NOT the cause.  In which case, as the updates roll out to other MC users, I rather suspect more people will be affected - then hopefully you'll figure out the problem and update JRiver.

I did a system restore to April 4, and everything is just hunky dory.  I turned off Windows Update on all my machines, so I won't be experimenting with turning off the anti-exploit or whatever.

I do hope you figure out what the problem is and fix it so I can turn Windows Update back on.  I don't like running un-updated.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 07:26:51 am »

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114101.0.html

Don't run two antivirus programs.  We recommend Windows Defender only now.

Here are a few problems that antivirus caused:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86096.msg588759#msg588759

It's not a problem with MC. 

The other possibility is that you have a driver problem.  Video drivers are the most common cause of crashes like you describe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up