INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to stream on my mobile laptop from my NAS without importing files?  (Read 737 times)

Al ex

• Citizen of the Universe

I have a new business laptop with 0.5TB SSD, so I canīt load my library on the laptop and play with JRiver.

I first wanted to sync my library, but this will import all files physically.

What would be the best solution to stream A/V from my NAS at home? I donīt want to use WebRemote. Best would be if I could import the directory into JRiver, and then stream from my NAS, but not sure, if that is possible.

Thanks, Alex

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam

The wiki has a topic on Media Network.  You can use Library Server to share your library.

Al ex

The wiki has a topic on Media Network.  You can use Library Server to share your library.

Yes, but in the library manager, there is only an option for syncing = importing the files physically.
And DLNA - I think that works within a LAN only, but not over the Internet?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam

Please read it again.  Library Server, not manager.

There is no sync required.  You connect from a PC outside your network to one inside your network.  The first is a client.  The second is a server.

DLNA can be used over a network.  MC can load a DLNA library.

AGAWA

• World Citizen

easy way: File - Open Media File (from NAS)

Al ex

Please read it again.  Library Server, not manager.

There is no sync required.  You connect from a PC outside your network to one inside your network.  The first is a client.  The second is a server.

DLNA can be used over a network.  MC can load a DLNA library.

Thank you Jim - that worked now! Streaming from my NAS at home onto my business Laptop flawlessly with JRiver :)

One point: I think the Wiki is not very clear on that.

On https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server#Access_from_another_PC_over_Internet it says:
If you choose to connect from another PC or phone, you can use the access key (see above) to open up access to your home PC. The port must be accessible (not blocked by a firewall) and you must use the outside address of your network. A cable modem, for example, has both an inside and an outside address. The outside address is the only one accessible from the Internet. You can find out what your outside address is by visiting whatsmyip.org although this is often on a lease and will change periodically.

This paragraph is missing something like that:
"In order to stream over the Internet, open "Playing Now", right click with mouse, open "Add Library", and enter either the access code, or the URL to your server, from where you want to stream from".

Thanks, Alex

Al ex

easy way: File - Open Media File (from NAS)

Not if your media source is somewhere in the Internet ;)

AGAWA

• World Citizen

I wasn't clear about remote connection in time of work from home. Thought business laptop was at home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up