INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Planning ahead for Dolby Atmos  (Read 832 times)

romus

• Recent member
Planning ahead for Dolby Atmos
« on: April 26, 2022, 08:36:56 pm »

I am trying to think ahead on how to develop my system, so in the future I'll end up with Atmos on top of surround sound for speakers.

I am a 50/50 music/video user, and am moving in the direction where the different people in our household tend to watch and listen to different media, but sometimes we come together. That is a socio-cultural shift in the modern home that I think has already hit many of us. And, so I don't want to create a home theatre type of system that the family does not use together much. Therefore, I have given up on our downstairs TV setup.
   Now I am in our lounge using JRiver and a Windows PC (with external monitor - that can swivel when our small family watch a DVD or Netflix together on this system, and I run all burned CD music from JRiver.

For audio, at the moment, I connect via USB into my BabyFace Pro interface, then out to studio monitors each side of the extended screen, and out to a stereo amp (DIY Poweramp5 from valutronic.com) to two orto-acoustic up-firing speakers (also DIY from valutronic.com), and a RELS subwoofer.
   On Netflix with Headphones I can get Atmos for Headphones, and I use a VSTs in JRiver DSP Studio for headphones calibration EQ processing (Fabfitler Pro Q 3). If I am Netflix or DVD out through the speakers I switch over to a VST in JRiver DSP Studio for a little dialogue enhancement (McDSP SA2 Dialogue Processor).

Now, when I start thinking about Atmos, I first looked at AVRs,  then I realized you can maybe get a better sonic result for the $, and upgrade options if I use a Preamp/Processor and then amps after it.
   I am fairly budget limited, as you might realize.
   I found this one, the Emotiva BasX MC1 13.2 Channel Dolby Atmos® & DTS:X™ Cinema Processor.
   I figure that could be a good start, and I could build more DIY speakers that match my existing ones, and with those extra speakers maybe extend the amp side with an Emotiva multi-amp.
   That seems all pretty upgradeable, and budget friendly.

My PC does not have an HDMI out, which I think I need to pass video and audio (that includes the Atmos) to the Emotiva. Is that correct, that I need an HDMI out from my PC?

At the moment I use the JRiver vitual driver, then from JRiver options, set my babyface Pro interface. Therefore I get the benefit the an active DSP Studio. In DSP Studio I presently output to 2 channel stereo, so my digital interface can handle that for what I am doing now.
   If I was connecting to an Emotiva BasX MC1 via an HDMI are there setting in DSP Studio output that will send Dolby TrueHD, which I think is what needs to be sent OR instead, do select Options> Settings>Bitstreaming> HDMI. Is that theoretically right?
   I am thinking the Emotiva BasX MC1 is doing the atmos processing, so I would not need Atmos for PC ( I think its about $400). Is that correct thinking or not?

Maybe other manufacturers than emotiva will come out with similar Preamp-Processors products in the near future with HDMI input.

Thanks for any clarification and help.

Music, DVD, etc within JRiver, Netflix, from browser.
Windows 10, HP laptop, external screen via Display port.
JRiver Media Centre WDM Driver in Windows audio.
Dolby Atmos for Headphones, for Netflix.
JRiver selects audio driver to DI (Babyface Pro).
Using EQ and VSTs in DSP Studio.

retro

• World Citizen
Re: Planning ahead for Adobe Atmos
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 09:13:19 pm »

Adobe.. :)..?

retro

• World Citizen
Re: Planning ahead for Adobe Atmos
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 09:25:33 pm »

Is that correct, that I need an HDMI out from my PC?

To decode Atmos with the Emotiva, yes, HDMI is needed.

If I was connecting to an Emotiva BasX MC1 via an HDMI are there setting in DSP Studio output that will send Dolby TrueHD, which I think is what needs to be sent OR instead, do select Options> Settings>Bitstreaming> HDMI. Is that theoretically right?
   I am thinking the Emotiva BasX MC1 is doing the atmos processing, so I would not need Atmos for PC ( I think its about $400). Is that correct thinking or not?

Options>Audio>Bitstreaming>HDMI.
Yes, then the Emotiva will take care of the Atmos decoding.
The decoding of Atmos in/on a computer is still sort-of a work in progress. Hopefully, it will evolve and improve..
Pages: [1]   Go Up