INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crossover with JRiver and measurements  (Read 1403 times)

Fastfish

Crossover with JRiver and measurements
« on: April 24, 2022, 10:21:53 am »

I'm working to get a two ways crossover using JR 28 on my MAC and a eight channel Okto research DAC pro; I state I'm not a lightning in this field  ::) but I am encountering a couple of problems for which I could not find an answer in the forum or even outside the forum ...the first problem is identify the channels assigned to the four drivers (surround left and right + rear left and right) I probably have understood that I cannot route these channels to the dac's channels because JR assigns them automatically but in this regard I found conflicting indications in the forum, in a thread the surround channels are 5 and 6 while in another they are attributed to 7 and 8. Do I have to go by trial and error?
The second problem is how to perform the measurements using the crossover so packaged, usually I use REW + umik 1 but how can I measure going through JRiver? REW does not provide for output through software devices but only through hardware sound cards so I can only send the sweep directly to the dac... ? 
many thanks to anyone who can help me

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Crossover with JRiver and measurements
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 10:33:56 am »

I'm working to get a two ways crossover using JR 28 on my MAC and a eight channel Okto research DAC pro; I state I'm not a lightning in this field  ::) but I am encountering a couple of problems for which I could not find an answer in the forum or even outside the forum ...the first problem is identify the channels assigned to the four drivers (surround left and right + rear left and right) I probably have understood that I cannot route these channels to the dac's channels because JR assigns them automatically but in this regard I found conflicting indications in the forum, in a thread the surround channels are 5 and 6 while in another they are attributed to 7 and 8. Do I have to go by trial and error?
The second problem is how to perform the measurements using the crossover so packaged, usually I use REW + umik 1 but how can I measure going through JRiver? REW does not provide for output through software devices but only through hardware sound cards so I can only send the sweep directly to the dac... ? 
many thanks to anyone who can help me

To your first question, the assignment of the surround channels is different depending on whether you've chosen a 5.1 output format (or container) or a 7.1 output format (or container).  In 5.1 channels 5 and 6 are SL and SR.  In 7.1 channels 7 and 8 are SL and SR. 

For your second question, that's a tougher issue.  On Windows JRiver has a loopback WDM sound device that REW can use as an output.  I don't think there's a similar input option on Mac.  If you have a Windows PC or laptop around you could use just for measurement, that's one way to work around. 

Alternatively, if you're already fairly confident about what crossover filters you need and you're just trying to do time alignment in the room, JRiver has test clips that will let you play pink noise that you could use with REW's RTA window.  Then you could step through delay in JRiver to establish time alignment using the greatest null method.  Obviously that's not perfect by any means, but it's something you could readily do right now without a windows box.

Some other folks here may have other ideas, I don't own any Macs so I may be missing an obvious solution.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 10:43:42 am »

I believe blackhole can be used as a software loopback device on Mac - https://github.com/ExistentialAudio/BlackHole

Otherwise just use the external measurement sweep option as per https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Verifying_DSP_Studio#Generate_a_Measurement_Sweep

Fastfish

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 09:12:09 am »

Great!  :)  thank you very much!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up