INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to find albums with parent folder name not identical to album name? [SOLVED]  (Read 480 times)

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Per subject, there must be a simple way to do it.

For example, something based on the  expression:
Code: [Select]
Not(IsEqual([album],filefolder(),0))
which works in Zelda, but how to make it into a smartlist or file search result?
I tried importing the expression into a new smartlist, but no albums are returned even when I intentionally miss-name a folder.

I also defined a new library expression field [FolderName] which simply calculates filefolder().  The field displays nicely in my tags pane and works as expected in an expression column,
IsEqual([album],[FolderName],1)but the results seem inconsistent when I use it in the search box at upper right corner of my standard views.

MC 29.0.40 Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)

marko

• MC Beta Team

To use expressions in the search field, you need to wrap it up like so:

[=IsEqual([album],[FolderName],1)]=0
Replacing the zero with a one would return all the ones that match.

You could also create a library view pane using the variation below in the "expression to group by" field.

if(isequal([album],filefolder(),1),Match,Mis-Match)
-marko

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

@marko:  Perfect - both solutions are right-on.  Thanks for the quick response.

In hindsight, I see the wiki documents the somewhat non-intuitive Searching with Expressions in at least two places:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Search_Language#Searching_with_Expressions
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Expression_Language

Application to [Last Played (album)]:
I store all cover art as side files in the same folder as my audio files.  For many months now, I find that when Audio and Image views are sorted on the album-relational library field [Last Played (album)], the cover art displays do not always remain synchronized as desired, i.e. they are not identically listed (order-wise) in the two views.  For the wrongly sorted cover art, the value of [Last Played (album)] for an image file typically does not get updated after an audio track is played. 

Turns out the problem is primarily associated with audio files and associated cover art files which do not have exactly the same values for fields [album] and [artist].  For example, if the album names differ by capitalization of an article such as "a" v.s. "A", or there is an extra space lurking somewhere, etc., then the album and image view sorts will not be identical after playback.  These differences can be hard to find across an entire media collection.

My solution is to set the parent folder name to the album name.  Then I check, in the respective tag panes, that audio and images have [album] exactly match their common parent folder name.  Hence the subject of this thread.  Corrections can then be made.

MC 29.0.41  Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)

Pages: [1]   Go Up