INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exclusive access for Rega DAC and Windows volume control  (Read 700 times)

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
Exclusive access for Rega DAC and Windows volume control
« on: May 03, 2022, 04:09:36 pm »

I have two DACs and for both the device properties in Windows 10 I have the settings correct where the boxes are checked for exclusive access and priority (see attached images). I notice when setting the output device to the Rega DAC (whether using ASIO or WASAPI) the Windows volume slider in the taskbar is still active, which leads me to believe it is not running in exclusive mode (although I can tell that when JRiver is playing there are no other sounds that interfere, for instance if I play a YouTube video at the same time there is no sound output from the webpage, I hear only the file being played in JRiver). But when I set the output device to the OPPO DAC (either ASIO or WASAPI), the Windows volume control is disabled.

What am I to make of this? Does it mean the Windows driver for my Rega DAC does not support exclusive access? I see that the option
Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device settings > Open device for exclusive access
is only available if WASAPI output is selected, and for both Rega and OPPO output devices in WASAPI the box is ticked for Open device for exclusive access.

If there are other settings I need to make either in Windows or in JRiver, please tell me. It seems to me that if I am playing audio in JRiver in exclusive mode, the Windows volume slider should be inactive (I can slide it from 100% to 0% mute with the playback volume not being affected).
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel
Pages: [1]   Go Up