INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One track causes all of album to be labelled Various Artists?  (Read 1039 times)

Dr.Funk

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi Guys,
I often have albums that have one or two tracks with a guest artist. In the case of this Pentatonix album one track has Dolly Parton on it. How do I show Dolly without the album being labelled Various Artists. I have tried  listing only track 7 as Pentatonix; Dolly Parton in the Artist field only, or the Album Artist field only. Whatever I do defaults to listing the whole album as Various Artists??
Thanks for your help.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: One track causes all of album to be labelled Various Artists?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 08:41:48 pm »

All tracks should have Pentatonix as the Album Artist.

In the Artist field you could tag as: Pentatonix;Dolly Parton

Use that in the track/file containing Dolly Parton only.  All the other tracks should show Pentatonix (Unless there's more than one effected).

Album Artist is the field that causes the various label.

Dr.Funk

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 12:52:15 am »

Hi,
If you look at my screenshot, that is how I have it. Album Artist is Pentatonix, track 7 is the only one with Pentatonix;Dolly Parton and is the same as you suggest; still get album marked as Various Artists?

Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Dr.Funk

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 12:56:43 am »

These screen shots show the layout as you mentioned

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 10:10:01 am »

The only place it should list it as various artists is when you open/expand it on the "Album" page listing. 

In the Album listing/page it should read Pentatonix (which it appears it does).  It's a Pentatonix album with a guest artist on one song.  It's not a Pentatonix/Dolly Parton album.

If what you are looking for is to find all songs where Dolly Parton is an artist you can do that with a new view.  I did that by creating a new field I called Individual Artists.  Tools>Options>Library & Folders>Manage Library Fields.  Fill in the data as you want and use Calculated Data.  Expression is: Replace([Artist], &, ;)&datatype=

Then Add New Field. 

Then go to "Audio" in the Standard View Tree.  Right Click and select "Add Library View"  Use Empty View and name it whatever you want (I call mine Artist's Discography).  When the next box comes up Select the View you want under View As: (I use categories, but it's personal preference). Click Add and put in the new field you created (Individual Artists for me).  That will list all songs an artist is on. 

You can go back and customize the view any time.  Hope this is what you're looking for.

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Dr.Funk

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 12:03:47 pm »

Sorry Guys, all I want to do is show that Dolly appears on track 7 and that it is fundamentally a Pentatonix album.
I have shown you via the screen shot that I have done what you said with the Album Artist and the Artist fields; yet it still lists the album as Various Artists, which it clearly is not.
your latest response is more confusing to me.
I just want the Various Artist shown to read Pentantonix - how do I do that please?

Also if the issue was fixed in March, is that a fix that was in the MC29, not MC28?
Thanks for your help.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 12:31:02 pm »

The fix is only on versions 29.0.23 or above. If you're on 28.xx, it will not have this change and it will show as you said. You need to upgrade.
Pages: [1]   Go Up