INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with HDMI Audio [Hardware Problem]  (Read 1150 times)

ribroast

• Recent member
Problems with HDMI Audio [Hardware Problem]
« on: May 08, 2022, 03:24:16 am »

My computer is in a 2-U server chassis in my audio rack.

For years it was a mini-ITX board with on board video and I never had a problem running MC for Linux.

I have a Schitt Modi DAC. One day I plugged a HDMI cable into my AV receiver and imported some video files. Worked pretty good, but the video had a lot of shearing, the little computer was not working that hard, but the built in video was lacking.

So, new computer. I had a Gigabyte B550 board, which I need for a different machine, but used it for testing here. I purchased a Ryzen 5 3600 and a low profile video card, which turned out to be bad, but I had an old warped Asus video card that worked perfect. 

AMD processors went on sale for 35% off, so I got a Ryzen 5 5600G APU next, and a cheaper Asus Prime B550 board. I run Debian always and the Audio was great as usual on the DAC. Problem is no sound through HDMI.

First time I've had a sound issue, so I installed some codecs. The video I was testing needed AAC for sound so I installed that. Now I got problems with usb ports, and no audio at all with the Modi or video.

Everything I do seems to make things worse.

I'm just going to re-install Debian, since I don't have much set up yet.

So how can I get the sound to work using the AMD APU? It's the first time I've had one, and I would of thought it is a common set up since there are a ton of boards out there that require a APU to use on-board video.

BTW, same problems using VLC, so it's a Linux problem I guess. I have tried every possible output device in the mixer, even the ones that are supposedly unavailable, but showing up on the list. One time the unavailable option was the only one that would work, but that was a while ago, not on this machine.

I may dump the APU and put the plain Jane Ryzen 5 back in when I get another (working) video card. I decided to go with the APU since it cost about the same as a video card. The APU shows up in the mixer as a "Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) HD Audio controller digital surround 5.1 (IEC958/AC3)" My AV receiver is a old Sony 5.1 system that is only used for video.

Edit: Changed the APU to Ryzen 5600G. Sorry about that, it is correct now

ribroast

• Recent member
Re: Problems with HDMI Audio
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 05:41:29 pm »

Just a little update: The USB problem was apparently caused by (another) bad Asus board (I had a DOA one last fall) and USB #2 went bad  on this one. It just happened at the same time that I installed codecs, then re-booted. I saw it flash by when booting, but it fly's by pretty fast. Disabled it in the bios. My guess was that my Modi DAC was on that one, so I got music again. Also, when using a APU for video, remove any graphics cards, because Linux will try to use the one that's not plugged in (the APU) and you will get a black screen with a out of range or out of sync message. After installing Debian three times I thought of it. So I was downloading ISO's and making setup media for no good reason.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problems with HDMI Audio [Hardware Problem]
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 03:50:52 pm »

Sigh, it's always no fun when you find one of these but at least you figured it out.

ribroast

• Recent member
Re: Problems with HDMI Audio [Hardware Problem]
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 05:09:41 pm »

I found a couple of old forum posts regarding no sound through (APU) HDMI on Linux. I saved those pages in Pocket, so when I have time, I will try to fix that problem. Will probably hose this machine up again, but that's the price sometimes. The old video card worked better than my mini ITX motherboard's on board video, no shearing, but it drops frames every so often. I had to remove it in order to install Debian, and I just left it out for now. The APU is doing a good job with the video, so I'm still hoping to sort out the sound problem. A new (working) low profile video card would be a option as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up