INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing playlists  (Read 2304 times)

MarkCoutinho

• Citizen of the Universe
Importing playlists
« on: May 13, 2022, 04:40:43 am »

I only just found out that JRiver has a Android version of my beloved MediaCenter. So instantly I bought it.
But, although I'm an IT nerdy type of guy, I have some issues with the app.

My situation: I have a SD card on my phone. It has (amongst others) a folder 'Music' with something like 16,000 songs in it and a folder 'Playlists' with not too many playlists in it - all of them M3U.

It took quite some time for MC to import all the music. Because of that (and because there was no message or something) I thought MC wasn't importing them at all. After something like 30 hours I checked again, and all the music was in.

But: how do I get my playlists in MC? I don't have a clue. There's nothing like a + sign or something from where on one can point out where the playlists are situated.

In general: is there a Help file for the program?

Thanks in advance!
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

BradATIMA

Re: Importing playlists
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 09:21:28 am »

JRiver for Android will try to import playlists automatically, if it can find them. If the playlists are near your music files, it should be able to find and import them. They will typically show up under the Imported section in the Playlists section. Are you not seeing any playlists anywhere in the Playlists section?

What version of JRiver for Android are you running? What version of Android is your device running? Are they on a secondary mSD card instead of the device's built in storage?

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 04:31:31 pm »

Thanks for your answer, Brad.

JRiver for Android will try to import playlists automatically, if it can find them. If the playlists are near your music files, it should be able to find and import them. They will typically show up under the Imported section in the Playlists section. Are you not seeing any playlists anywhere in the Playlists section?

What version of JRiver for Android are you running? What version of Android is your device running? Are they on a secondary mSD card instead of the device's built in storage?

There is no 'imported' section in the Playlists section. There aren't any at all.

To make it more clear what my situation is, I uploaded 2 pictures: one of my empty playlist screen on the phone and one of the maps/files on my SD Card. In the latter one I circled the two important folders.

Versions: JRiver 29.0.45 64-bit
Android version: 12
The files are stored on a SD card.

Hope you can help me.
Mark Coutinho

BradATIMA

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 06:59:31 pm »

It's probably not finding the playlists. You could import them manually using the Import option in the options menu. Unfortunately, it's broken at the moment. It should be fixed Monday.

Otherwise, you could try moving the playlists into a playlists folder inside the music folder.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 06:59:27 am »

Putting the Playlist folder inside the Music folder didn't do the trick.
I guess I'll have to wait for Monday's update then, to manually import the playlists.
I'll keep you posted.
Mark Coutinho

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 11:35:57 am »

It's probably not finding the playlists. You could import them manually using the Import option in the options menu. Unfortunately, it's broken at the moment. It should be fixed Monday.
There was no update yesterday. Do you already have an idea when the new version will be available?
Mark Coutinho

BradATIMA

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 04:21:36 pm »

It should be later tonight depending on how long it sits in review.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 03:46:00 am »

I've version 29.0.50 now.
I'm one step further with importing manually.
MC has imported 20 out of my 21 playlists.

However: every one of them shows 'View is empty' when I want to open it.

I've checked the lists via the computer (hanging my phone on it): they're all full of songs. The lists are exported with MC on my computer.

Please help me with the next step.

Or is it possible to manually copy the lists to a folder on the phone which JRiver uses?
Mark Coutinho

BradATIMA

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 08:35:50 am »

Check that the paths to the media files in the playlist are right. If the playlist is empty, it most likely means the paths are wrong.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 09:44:18 am »

I think they're relative paths.
This is what they look like:

.\..\Clean Bandit & Jess Glynne\Clean Bandit & Jess Glynne - Rather be.mp3
.\..\Nico & Vinz\Nico & Vinz - Am I wrong.mp3
.\..\Calvin Harris\Calvin Harris - Summer.mp3

Is that correct or should it be different?
Mark Coutinho

BradATIMA

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2022, 04:02:58 pm »

Relative paths should work as long as the playlist file is in the right place relative to the files.

You might want to compare the broken one to one that works to see if there are any obvious differences.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 03:18:40 am »

That's just my problem/frustration: none of my playlists work.
To help you debugging my problem: could it be that because my mp3's are on the (same) SDcard, JRiver doesn't find them? (because it's looking for the storage on the phone itself)

If not, I would appreciate any other suggestion from your side to get my playlists working. I haven't been able to use JRiver properly since I bought it, because of this problem.
Mark Coutinho

BradATIMA

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2022, 09:16:34 am »

It's a bit hard to tell without seeing the folder structure of the music and playlists.

.\..\Clean Bandit & Jess Glynne\Clean Bandit & Jess Glynne - Rather be.mp3
.\..\Nico & Vinz\Nico & Vinz - Am I wrong.mp3
.\..\Calvin Harris\Calvin Harris - Summer.mp3

Based on this, I can tell you that the m3u playlist needs to be in a folder (it doesn't matter the name), and that folder needs to be along side the other folders, like 'Clean Bandit & Jess Glynne', 'Nico & Vinz', and 'Calvin Harris'.

It's possible all you really need to do is move the playlist files, but they need to be in a location that makes those relative paths correct because when JRiver for Android is looking at that playlist, it's looking for those media files relative to the playlist m3u file.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2022, 02:48:53 pm »

It's a bit hard to tell without seeing the folder structure of the music and playlists.

Based on this, I can tell you that the m3u playlist needs to be in a folder (it doesn't matter the name), and that folder needs to be along side the other folders, like 'Clean Bandit & Jess Glynne', 'Nico & Vinz', and 'Calvin Harris'.

It's possible all you really need to do is move the playlist files, but they need to be in a location that makes those relative paths correct because when JRiver for Android is looking at that playlist, it's looking for those media files relative to the playlist m3u file.

Thanks for this answer. That seemed to be the cause of the problem: I didn't have my Playlist folder in the same folder as all my music folders. I changed that and I've got things working now. With some issues however, but I'll open another topic for that.
Mark Coutinho
Pages: [1]   Go Up