INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skinning the Tag Window  (Read 1880 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Skinning the Tag Window
« on: May 14, 2022, 12:30:40 am »

Continuing from this earlier discussion:
Sounds like a plan Marko. I did find one 4K upscaling issue in your "good" version however. The tag group open/closed indicator icons overlap onto the group header text. See pic below. I figure if you're going upload to the plug-in page, you might want to fix that first. The good news though, is that was the only 4K upscaling issue I came across.

I have been digging around this and cannot find a way to resolve it. I think it might be a skinning bug/shortcoming.

Looking at the default skins, I used Noire and Z, as far as I can tell, the "Group" element flat out doesn't support scaling.
In the defaults, the Group element has no scaling specified, so, as the size setting increases, that "expanded/collapsed" icon is squeezed into an ever decreasing area. The text placement is fixed.

If you try to add scaling so that the "expanded/collapsed" icon is not being distorted by virtue of the ever decreasing space available for it, the scaling actually works, but nothing I have tried will move the text to the right to account for the specified scaling.

I can (just about) get away with it if I reduce the scaling to 2x. Like that, at 200%, you couldn't get a bawhair between the icon and the group text, but they don't overlap, and moving to 400%, the icons are squeezed beyond recognition and look horrible.

For now, I'll blame MC for this. Am I right? Will it be fixed?

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Skinning the Tag Window
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 01:34:18 am »

Bob, if you see this (or any other Linux user) you mentioned that it was pretty messed up on Linux. I couldn't spot anything filename related. As far as I could tell, the cases all matched. Could you post a screenshot? That might offer up some clue as to what might be wrong.

Though, I recall one of my skins being reported as having no volume slider, only under Linux, and no-one, not even AD, could figure it out.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 08:35:54 pm »

You know, as someone who has authored a skin, I sure don't pay much attention to this board ;D.  Sorry for my delayed thoughts on this!

I think you're absolutely right Marko, the text position is fixed and the larger the scale the more distorted the expand button (which is only a small portion of the group header image) becomes. As I was developing Dream in Blue, you may recall I mentioned that I had to "pre-distort" the circle within the group header image file so that it would be an "actual" circle when the skin was is in use. While the overall group header image does scale per the Windows OS scale factor used, for some reason, that portion of the image behaves weirdly.  I confess I don't understand why. You may also remember how the panes header text alignment relative to the details below it is also not consistent across OS scale settings.  It would appear that for some skin elements, the text is indented a specific amount and remains fixed regardless of the OS scale setting.

This is one of the many weird visual discrepancies related to scaling I came across when doing my skin.  I hope to get some of these resolved with Matt in the coming months.  Recent tag window successes include the large edit fields now using the entire height of the tag window, and adding the expand/collapse tag groups option (though those are not scaling related admittedly).

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 08:47:13 pm »

Interesting side note:

Below is the picture of what your Black and Blue Too group header looks like on my set up of a 4K monitor with 200% scale factor applied at the OS level. Compare that to the previous screenshot I did (shown in your 1st post) of your original skin Black and Blue.  For that skin, the circles are perfectly round but overlap the text; for your other skin, they don't overlap, but circles are instead squished. Maybe this difference can help us/others hone in on what is causing display discrepancy.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 12:59:49 pm »

Bob, if you see this (or any other Linux user) you mentioned that it was pretty messed up on Linux. I couldn't spot anything filename related. As far as I could tell, the cases all matched. Could you post a screenshot? That might offer up some clue as to what might be wrong.

Though, I recall one of my skins being reported as having no volume slider, only under Linux, and no-one, not even AD, could figure it out.
There are a bunch of case issues in the Black and Blue skin.
Just off the top, for example:
The file Player_bar_Display.png
Is referenced in the xml as
<Entry Name="Display" Bitmap="Player_bar_display.png" Scale="2" Margins="50,30,30,30" >
(display has different case on the first letter)
All of these:
Playerbar_NextButton.png
Playerbar_PauseButton.png
Playerbar_PlayButton.png
Playerbar_PrevButton.png
Playerbar_Search.png
Playerbar_SliderPos.png
Playerbar_SliderPosFront.png
Playerbar_SliderPos_.Thumb.png
Playerbar_SliderPos_Thumb.png
Playerbar_SliderVol.png
Playerbar_SliderVolThumb.png
Playerbar_StopButton.png

Appear to be different case in the xml. (PlayerBar_)

I didn't try to find them all.

None of those files will be found on linux.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 01:05:48 pm »

Jeezo :o

Cheers Bob. I'll get all that sorted and double-check the rest. Think I need to book an eye test :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up