INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File tags not available in Media Center?  (Read 1021 times)

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
File tags not available in Media Center?
« on: June 11, 2022, 09:16:45 pm »

Hi all,

I randomly sorting through some stuff in Windows setting folder properties or whatever. I looked at and a FLAC track properties (right click or Alt-Enter), then the details tab to see some of the attributes stored on a audio track - then compared to Media Center tags. Many are the same of course but several do not exist in the files tags in MC. See picture particularly the "Encoded By", Author URL etc.

Anyway to see all the attributes/tags stored in the file itself to display in MC? I found a few dodgy files I didn't know I had, but I can't see others - particularly some my ancient files I want to check?

thanks

Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: File tags not available in Media Center?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 05:42:02 am »

David - If you open the Modern Tag Window and scroll down the the "Tag Dump" section you will find all of the tags present in each track, including their proper tag name.
To make those Tags visible in other parts of MC you need to enter them making sure you enter the Name & Capitalisation inexactly the same way/format as it appears in the Tag Dump.

P.S. Don't be surprised if some of the Actual Tag Names differ from the ones showing on the Win-Explorer Properties Page
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 03:33:06 pm »

David - If you open the Modern Tag Window and scroll down the the "Tag Dump" section you will find all of the tags present in each track, including their proper tag name.
To make those Tags visible in other parts of MC you need to enter them making sure you enter the Name & Capitalisation inexactly the same way/format as it appears in the Tag Dump.

P.S. Don't be surprised if some of the Actual Tag Names differ from the ones showing on the Win-Explorer Properties Page

What does the section Tag Dump represent other than just a list of tags? What's its purpose?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 05:10:03 pm »

It's for viewing file tags that do not correspond to existing MC Library fields.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 09:23:19 am »

It's for viewing file tags that do not correspond to existing MC Library fields.

After learning what Tag Dump is showing me, I realize I have many Audio files with tags that are meaningless to me, and I have no idea where they came from. Can MC delete tags that are shown in Tag Dump?

For instance, this is a tag I would delete:
key: eyJrZXkiOiI3QSIsInNvdXJjZSI6Im1peGVkaW5rZXkiLCJhbGdvcml0aG0iOjk0fQ==

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 03:53:26 am »

To be able to delete the contents of a Tag/Field that is not in MC you have to add that Tag/Field to MC making sure the Name is entered in exactly the same way as it appears in the Tag Dump making sure you set the Save Changes to File Option. Once you have done that you can use MC to remove the contents of those fields, which in turn will delete the tag/field from the file/track. On completion of the clean-up you can then remove the tag/field from MC.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 06:54:32 am »

Thanks for reply. I am having trouble finding/navigating to the 'modern tag window' ? Or finding the 'tag dump' - What am I missing ?

David
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 08:54:07 am »

David - in Playing Now look under the tree that's in the left side panel, you should see an entry labeled Action Window - Open that and you will see an entry labeled Tag clicking on that opens the Modern Tag Window - The Tag Tag Dump section is at the very bottom of that window.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2022, 09:00:09 am »

Thanks for reply. I am having trouble finding/navigating to the 'modern tag window' ? Or finding the 'tag dump' - What am I missing ?

David

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 09:40:40 am »

To be able to delete the contents of a Tag/Field that is not in MC you have to add that Tag/Field to MC making sure the Name is entered in exactly the same way as it appears in the Tag Dump making sure you set the Save Changes to File Option. Once you have done that you can use MC to remove the contents of those fields, which in turn will delete the tag/field from the file/track. On completion of the clean-up you can then remove the tag/field from MC.

Yes that works quite nicely. Sort of like MC hijacks the tag and then acts like it was my tag all along.

Well, I spoke too soon. Adding the Tag as a Library Field with the same name will populate the Library field with the file's tag value when you execute the Update Library from Tags command. Then I delete the value in the Library field and execute the Update Tag from Library command But, the file tag's value is not changing or being deleted as I hoped it would.

Am I doing something wrong?

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2022, 03:32:10 pm »

Yes that works quite nicely. Sort of like MC hijacks the tag and then acts like it was my tag all along.

Well, I spoke too soon. Adding the Tag as a Library Field with the same name will populate the Library field with the file's tag value when you execute the Update Library from Tags command. Then I delete the value in the Library field and execute the Update Tag from Library command But, the file tag's value is not changing or being deleted as I hoped it would.

Am I doing something wrong?

That was not a quiz. I really am losing my mind. When I created the Library field I forgot to check off "Save in file tags (when possible)". Now it works when I Update Tags from Library that particular tag disappears from the audio file.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2022, 03:51:48 pm »

What does the section Tag Dump represent other than just a list of tags? What's its purpose?

Perhaps a little misleading.  Tag Dump shows all tags written into the file.  They are "permanently" stored in the file header, so they have archival value and can also be read (and written) by other applications, such as Mp3tag.  Note that the ordering within the header is not guaranteed.

If an MC field has the same name as a file tag, then the same value shows up both in Tag Dump and corresponding MC field in the MC "Tag" window (which is a bit of a misnomer, since the "Tag" window mostly shows MC "Fields").  By now, the OP has obviously discovered this.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2022, 04:00:08 pm »

Perhaps a little misleading.  Tag Dump shows all tags written into the file.  They are "permanently" stored in the file header, so they have archival value and can also be read by other applications, such as Mp3tag.  Note that the ordering within the header is not guaranteed.

If an MC field has the same name as a file tag, then the same value shows up both in Tag Dump and corresponding MC field in the MC "Tag" window (which is a bit of a misnomer, since the "Tag" window mostly shows MC "Fields").  By now, the OP has obviously discovered this.

Well, sort of. They are not "permanently" stored. The tag I saw in Tag Dump was put there by another application and I wanted to delete it. So, following that procedure as detailed earlier in the post it was deleted. It no long shows up in Tag Dump or any other Tag viewer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up