INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-rip  (Read 2468 times)

Dave T

• World Citizen
Auto-rip
« on: October 04, 2002, 11:41:29 am »

Basically, I'm very happy that the feature was added, but would prefer it was more "auto".  I'd like to be able to feed the computers CD's, and have MJ start up by itself and start ripping them, ejecting them as they're ripped.  When done, I'd prefer no prompt to "end ripping", also.  This way, I can rip a batch of CD's without looking at the screen.  This is important to me because my jukebox computer is in an electronics rack, connected to a front projector that I don't want to have to fire up to see what I'm doing.

I realize that many people have no use for this level of "automation", and many would prefer to manually put MJ into auto-rip mode.  However, I also know that there are many like me that would prefer it this way.

So, Matt, et al, if you could see to doing something as basic as having a command line-option to start MJ in auto-rip mode, that would be awesome.  Then, people like me could configure the PC to commence ripping on CD insertion.  Even better, of course, would be to have an "auto-rip on startup" mode, as Siren Jukebox has.  (IMHO, of course :-))

- Dave

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Auto-rip
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2002, 12:04:30 pm »

Dave, just keep on us.  We'll get it right before 9 is done.  

Once JohnT gets the new burning engine working, he'll have time to look at this.  (but it'll be a few weeks)

Thanks for your help and patience.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Dave T

• World Citizen
Re: Auto-rip
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2002, 07:39:12 am »

Just download MC 9 - v9.0.84, and tried Auto-rip.  It's crashing on me - I get a GPF as soon as it tries to rip.  The last beta I tried didn't do this.

Regarding the auto-rip functionality - what's your current thinking on having MJ auto start and auto rip on CD insertion?  Or, auto-rip on cd insertion if MJ is already running when the cd is put in...  Is this something you still plan to do in V9?

Also, will MJ be able to play other tracks while ripping?  It looks like it's locked up while ripping now, so you have to wait until you're done ripping before you can play anything else.

Thanks.

- Dave

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 07:08:09 am »

C'mon, guys!  Throw me a bone here.  Please?  Yes?  No?  Maybe?  Soon?  Never?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2002, 07:16:30 am »

Dave, we know you really want auto-rip :P  I can't say for sure what's happening yet though...

Also, will MJ be able to play other tracks while ripping?  It looks like it's locked up while ripping now, so you have to wait until you're done ripping before you can play anything else.

Should work now.  Plop it in the bug thread if it keeps happening.

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 07:22:51 am »

Thanks, Matt!

Yes, I do really want it.  How'd you know?  Sorry if I'm being a pest on this, but you had said it would be in V9, and checking in every two months doesn't seem too bad...

- Dave

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2003, 03:15:40 pm »

Regarding the auto-rip functionality - what's your current thinking on having MJ auto start and auto rip on CD insertion?  Or, auto-rip on cd insertion if MJ is already running when the cd is put in...  Is this something you still plan to do in V9?

Same questions.  Have you decided on whether or not V9 will have this functionality?  Whether you'll ever add this functionality?

Thanks.

- Dave

Dave T

• World Citizen
Matt - Re: Auto-rip
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2003, 11:21:14 am »

Matt:

Can you give me another update?  Are you any closer on implementing this, or at least being able to tell me whether or not it will be implemented at all?

- Dave

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2003, 12:44:02 pm »

JohnT's the man on this one, and I think he's still planning to make some improvements before the release of 9.0.

I'll email him a pointer to this thread.

Thanks Dave.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2003, 01:52:46 pm »

I think he's still planning to make some improvements

I can't grt it to rip at all in auto rip mode.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2003, 03:24:07 am »

Try out yesterday's build (9.0.121). It's the first release with a new auto-rip/play system. You can select the options the first time you insert a CD or DVD, or you can set them up from the Options/Devices dialog. If you select "Rip" and uncheck "ask me..." for CD's, it will rip them whenever you insert a CD. If you have CD's associated with MC, it will start up MC and rip them if it's not already running.
The only problem is YADB prompts for duplicate matches or disks not found. Maybe a "quiet" mode for YADB would work best with auto-rip enabled.
There are probably a couple bugs to work out yet.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2003, 04:22:38 am »

JohnT:

Awesome!  It sounds like I'm well on my way to being a happy camper.

I'll try to check it out tonight, but I have some initial reactions to what you said.  Again, my goal is to get a feature set that allows MC9 to work well in a setup where the computer is connected to a home entertainment system without a display (kind of like a "media center" :)).  I can connect remotely to the computer over ethernet, via VNC, so I'm not totally blind, but it's best for people like me if as much as possible of the interaction requires no user intervention.

So, here are my comments:

1) If there is a problem with YADB (match not found), could you make it beep, or something?  For dups, I'd just as soon have it pick one for me (see below).

2) When are there duplicates in YADB?  I'm still using CDDB for ripping (with another program), and the dups I get there are always equivalent to me.  I don't really care which one it picks.  Are the YADB dups usually about the same?  If so, could you have an option to just pick one for me?

3) What will it do if you already have a cd in your database?  In this I think it would be nice if you could pick what happens - 1) re-rip, and overwrite the existing songs,  2) re-rip to a different location (I'd never use this, but maybe someone else would like to), or 3) play the CD.  I imagine that one day, I may decide to re-rip all my cd's with a new and better codec.  That could take months.  So, option 1 would be HUGE - it would let me use the older versions of music that I hadn't re-ripped yet, while letting me also use the newly re-ripped stuff.  Otherwise, I'd leave option 3 set - if I want to play a cd directly, instead of the mp3, for various reasons.

Thanks for listening!

- Dave

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2003, 07:39:37 am »

Just one Note..

When "nothing" is selected i think the ask everytime should be grayed.

============================

If nothing is selected, and [X] ask everytime is checked MC does nothing, and does not ask everytime if it should do nothing.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2003, 07:44:21 am »

If you find a Unknown CD, And Rip when a disk is inserted is slected.

MC Seems to do nothing (it may attempt to look up the cd, you just can't see it doing it).

This includes It does not show "track 1, 2, 3, 4 etc..."

Nothing is on the list at all.

I don't think it should rip, but i think it should show somthing.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2003, 07:55:18 am »

just playing with it some more...

it seems if you start the program and enable this option it works.

if you turn off ask me everytime it stops working untill you restart the program.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2003, 08:02:24 am »

when the cd is done riping, disk is ejected and the [Button] states "Done" and you just insert a new disk and do not press "Done" MC will spit the disk back out.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2003, 04:09:05 pm »

Ok, I tried it.  I love what you've done!  It's 1000% better than the way it worked.  I have some comments, suggestions, and bugs.  I'll go through what I did:

I installed MC9, and set the default ripping settings.  I told it to associate with audio CD's.  Interestingly, it didn't default to associate with mp3's when installed.  I changed that.

I then killed MC9, and stuck a CD in each of my two CD drives (D: and E:).  XP popped up a dialog, asking me what app to associate with audio CD's.  Can't you make it so that this doesn't happen?  What effect does the "associate with audio cd's" setting in MC9 have?

After telling XP to associate "mcext...exe" (or something like that) with audio cd's, MC9 started up, and began ripping the first cd.  (minor gripes: I think it would be nice if the rip dialog showed the album name, and showed the time elapsed while ripping)   Question - what's the "5.1x" (for example) in the progress bar, mean?

MC9 then finished ripping the first CD, beeped, and ejected it.  Cool!  This is great.  

Unfortunately, it didn't automatically start ripping the second cd (in the E: drive).  It seems that auto-rip will only work with the first cd inserted.

Also, after ejecting the CD in the D drive and inserting another, it didn't auto-rip that, either.  Obviously a bug - it needs to be able to auto-rip even if MC9 is already running.

Question - if it doesn't find a cd during lookup, how can you manually enter the info?  I think the auto-rip dialog should let you enter in album name, genre, and track names for all tracks, and then have a continue button, or something.

Thanks for listening, and bfn.

- Dave

nila

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2003, 04:33:28 pm »

OOhhhh, oooohhhh!!

Did I hear the words new burning engine??

This is the time for me to re-request it!!!

Pretty please allow us to use 'create names from properties' when burning to burn CD's with filenames other than those on the hard drive and to have the filenames automatically generated from the track's properties.

I REALLY want to be able to burn data cd's like this:

Artist - Album/Track # - Name

Whereas on my hard drive I have them all like this:

Artist - Album/Artist - Album - Track # - Name

Right now there is no option to be able to do anything like this.

I'd also REALLY like to be able to actually change file names just in general on the cd's we're burning like I can in Nero, etc so that I can burn it with whatever name I want and am not stuck with the original file name.

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2003, 07:35:01 am »

JohnT:

Would you mind giving us a quick update?

I assume you intend to fix the bugs to allow auto-ripping from more than one CD drive, and auto-ripping more than the first CD inserted.

My questions were:

1) How do you intend to handle multiple matches in YADB lookup, and how do you intend to handle the case where no match is found?  (See my earlier post for my suggestions.)

2) What do you think about my suggestion for allowing user selectable re-ripping or auto-play, when inserting a CD that already exists in the database?

- Dave

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2003, 07:48:41 am »

Yes, it is not working too good, maybe he will take another look at it this week.

By then I should be done Re-Ripiing my 2000+ cd's

;D
Fayetteville, NC, USA

mexico35

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2003, 09:54:32 pm »

Hi I have media jukebox 8.

and media jukebox 8 cannot determine windows media player version.

How can I fix this proplem.

I have windows media player 9.

Thanks BJ

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2003, 02:28:59 am »

Hi I have media jukebox 8.

and media jukebox 8 cannot determine windows media player version.

How can I fix this proplem.

I have windows media player 9.

Thanks BJ

Uninstall Media Player 9, And Install An Older Version Of Media Player

Fayetteville, NC, USA

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2003, 07:43:05 am »

Hallooooo...

JohnT - it's been a couple of weeks.  Can you give us an update, please?

Thanks.

- Dave

JohnT

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2003, 11:12:01 am »

I'm back on this. The auto rip will advance to the next CD in the next build (it was broken during changes to the menus). It's not yet handling multiple drives nicely, I'm working on it. I'm also looking into YADB changes for auto mode and intercepting the Microsoft pop-up.
Thanks for the suggestions.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2003, 04:32:00 am »

JohnT:

Thanks for the update.  All good news!  

Please also consider having a way to overwrite existing files when re-ripping.  I want to re-rip all my CD's, using MC's superior codec, and that would be a near-impossible job if MC didn't overwrite my existing files.

Thanks!

- Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up