INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jrvr "automatically switch to hdr mode when starting playback" not working.  (Read 779 times)

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

I Am on latest stabel build JRiver 29....58. And hdr does not turn on when playing hdr movies. What could be wrong to make this so.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

I hope someone can confirm. If I Am going to get hdr active, I either have to turn on hdr in windows 11 and if I choose this option, then JRiver will do the processing and tonemapping Or I have to tic off the "use the displays hdr capability for hdr videos(if available)" and then the TV is doing the processing and tonemapping and not JRiver.

Did I understand this right?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

I've not heard of the option not working before, and it seems reliable for me. But I've not personally tested on Windows 11 yet, since it seems a bit buggy for my tastes still.

What does the Output page in the JRVR settings report for HDR capability?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

In output option settings it reads:

screen is hdr capable, yes.
screen is in hdr mode, no.(here I have not activate the hdr in windows setting. I dont like to have hdr on all the time).

and I have only ticked off, turn on hdr mode automatically....and have not ticked off ..use the display hdr capability.

davelr

• Junior Woodchuck

I'm also very interested in how to make this work correctly. I'm sure it's my unfamiliarity with how to set it up, is there a step-by-step on which settings need to be in place?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

If you want to let JRVR automatically enable HDR, all you should need to do is open the JRVR settings (in Settings -> Video -> JRVR Settings..), navigate to the Output config for your screen, and tick both "Use the display's HDR capability" as well as "Automatically switch to HDR mode when starting playback". On that page you'll also see the data JRVR detected, and for this to function, it would need to say "Screen is HDR capable: Yes"

This should automatically switch to HDR output mode when you play a HDR video, and back to normal mode when you stop.

If this isn't working for you, additional details on your system and setup would be helpful, as well as a log.
As mentioned above, this may not be fully tested on Windows 11, as Microsoft keeps messing with HDR support, although I've not heard before about issues with this option - in Windows 11 or otherwise. Note that its only supported on Windows though, and not Linux or Mac.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

Thank You Hendrik! I thought that only the "automatically switch to hdr mode when starting playback" needed to be ticked, since this is the default after installation of JRiver 29. But one needed to tick both. Well then everything is working as it should. I found it to be very confusing that both had to be ticked and one have to do so after installation.

Last question. When this is done. is it JRiver that do all of the processing and tonemapping alone or does this now happen both in JRiver and the TV?

davelr

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks for the guidance, Hendrik. If I experience future problems I'll post data on my setup. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up