INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is RG6 cable good enough for a subwoofer?  (Read 1370 times)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Is RG6 cable good enough for a subwoofer?
« on: July 19, 2022, 05:18:21 pm »

Question for my audiophile friends.

I recently had wiring run under my house for my rear speakers and subwoofer.

I ordered AudioQuest Type 5 for my rear speakers which matches what I’m already using for the front, center and Atmos speakers.

I ordered AudioQuest Black Lab subwoofer cable for my subwoofer - but they actually installed Liberty RG6 cable.  They claim the mixup was because they normally use RG6 for subwoofers, even for high end systems.

So my question is, is RG6 cable good enough?

Thanks in advance,
Randy

For reference, my system configuration follows:
Marantz SR7011
B&W LCR60 S3 (Center)
B&W ASW 600 (Woofer)
B&W DM603 S3 (2x front, 2x back)
KEF - Q Series 2-Way Surround Speakers (Pair) - Dolby Atmos

dtc

• MC Beta Team
Re: Is RG6 cable good enough for a subwoofer?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 08:26:21 pm »

I would guess that the RG6 should be fine.  Since the sub has its own amplification, the signal level is pretty low. RG6 usually has pretty good insulation and grounding, so, unless it is in an area of heavy electric use, noise should not be a problem.  Subs typically do not have the capacitance/inductance issues you can have with regular speakers. You will probably have more issues with room acoustics and standing waves than you would see with cable differences, as long as there is no noise issue.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 10:04:48 am »

Thanks dtc.

The RG6 is the wire under the house to wire the subwoofer to the corner of the room.

The receiver is on a front wall.

The subwoofer on a back wall.

There is a connection plate on the front and back wall. There is an RCA connection on the front wall and back wall plate. The RG6 runs under the house and is connected via the RCA connection to these front and back plates.

I use AudioQuest Irish Red (Subwoofer Cable) to connect from the front plate to the receiver. Likewise I use the same cabe to connect from the back plate to the subwoofer.

All RG6 connections are via RCA connectors.

So far I've experienced no noise issues, so I'm assuming I'm ok. I appreciate the feedback.

krgoodwin

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 11:05:01 am »

You probably should have used flooded RG6 instead of RG6 since standard RG6 is not for use outdoors. From what I remember, RG6 is double shielded (foil and braid shields).  Before the days of fiber optic, all the ISPs (Xfinity/Comcast) used RG6.  Just google RG6 coax for specific specs.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 04:48:44 pm »

You probably should have used flooded RG6 instead of RG6 since standard RG6 is not for use outdoors. From what I remember, RG6 is double shielded (foil and braid shields).  Before the days of fiber optic, all the ISPs (Xfinity/Comcast) used RG6.  Just google RG6 coax for specific specs.

Thanks...
The under the house is still inside the house. A better description is under the floor. What I was solving for is replacing carpeting with hardwood flooring. My back speaker wires were running under the carpet. With the new floor I had the wiring run under the subfloor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up