INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Zones: Zone doesn't become "active" when playback starts (occasionally)  (Read 1210 times)

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

This is in continuation from the MC28 thread here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,132340.0.html

I had upgraded to MC29 as soon as the first public build became available. On the weekend, I came over another occurrence of this issue. I selected a DVD (*.iso) via TheaterView, the MC29 client copied it from the server, it was mounted, playback started in the correct zone (ZoneSwitch therefore works fine), but the zone didn't become active. As I had all zones grouped, I could hear the audio and knew that playback had started somewhere. Using CTRL+T I switched zones until I had the one which also showed video.

Switching on logging I retried yesterday, and it still "worked" with the same DVD (*.iso), the playback started in the correct zone, but this zone didn't become active (see attachment). I'll test again later to see whether the issue can be reliably provoked with this DVD.

The client is the HTPC in my signature. Win10 (patched), MC29 latest (.28).

There are 4 zones (480p, 576p, 720p, 1080p). ZoneSwitch is used to direct playback to the corresponding zone, based on the field "Height". This works perfectly fine, as established in the corresponding MC28 thread linked above (which also explains why I'm doing this at all), any file thrown at it is put in the correct zone. Also, there is never any parallel playback in any of the other zones. However, occasionally, the zone with active playback isn't made "active". Hence, no video on the screen, only audio can be heard (because I grouped the zones, making it easier for me to spot the issue).

Terry was so nice to have a look last time and suggested it might have something to do with the *.ifo handling of MC.

Maybe Matt or someone from the team might be able to have a look at the logs to see whether there's something in there hinting at the root cause. If the library or other files are needed, please tell me.

Thank you all in advance!
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Tested a few times over the last days. It seems to be reproducible with this particular DVD (*.iso), although it happened with other DVDs too (but I couldn't reproduce it back then).

Unless the zone (in this case 576p) is already active, the zone will not be made active. Although playback starts in it (as it should, as it's a PAL DVD and the ZoneSwitch rules are set up accordingly). I tested several times with one of the other zone being active (i.e. 480p, 720p, 1080p), and the screen consistently stays black. Playback is always directed to the correct zone (i.e. 576p), but the zone won't be made active.

Like Terry guessed last time (in the MC28 thread linked in the OP), maybe it's got something to do with the *.ifo handling of MC?
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

I'm still seeing the issue with 29.0.31 and now with 29.0.34.

Make sure zone 576p is not active/selected, start TheaterView, select the DVD, wait for it, playback starts in zone 576p, but the screen stays black (i.e. whatever other zone was active/selected stays active/selected, even though zone 576p is the only zone with active playback).
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Upgraded to 29.0.38 on the weekend, but no change... I can still reproduce it with this DVD.
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Upgraded to 29.0.41, but no change. New logs attached.

The zone won't become active, although playback is starting in it. Switching to the respective zone (CTRL+T) shows the waiting DVD menu.
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Still the same for 29.0.47.
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Tested with 29.0.50 and still the same. Playback is directed into the correct zone, but the zone won't become active.
END OF LINE.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

I just set up ZoneSwitch to play videos in my theater room.  I'm in my headphones zone, play a video, and it switches to the theater room zone.  So I don't think I'm reproducing.  Any tips?  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Thanks Matt!

I had set up ZoneSwitch to direct playback of DVD/BD *.iso backups towards specific zones (according to the "Height" field). All the rules and details are in the thread linked at the beginning, for MC28. This works. However, sometimes the zone won't become active. I could reproduce that with a specific DVD *.iso (there are more, but this one was the first to reproduce it with).

First, you make sure that the target zone (in my example 576p) is NOT active. So, I select any of the others.
Second, I initiate the playback (from within TheaterView). Windows mounts the *.iso, and calls JRiver as its "Autorun" action.
Third, playback starts in the correct zone, but this zone will NOT become active (i.e. the screen stays "black" in TheaterView). Cycling through the inactive zones with CTRL+T shows that playback has in fact started in the correct zone.

I can (privately of course) provide the *.iso for testing, if it helps. It's a PAL DVD. Terry suspected that it might have something to do with JRiver's handling of the DVD's *.ifo file calling the menu.
END OF LINE.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

I think I found it.  If a zone is selected in Playing Now and you return to Standard View, it switches back to that zone.  We didn't switch the selected Playing Now view out of Theater View, but I'm not sure why so I'll try removing that in the future sometime.  Thanks for the help!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Cool! Thank you, for looking into this :)
END OF LINE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up