INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No multichannel output via Penteo  (Read 1491 times)

MarcVRML

• Recent member
No multichannel output via Penteo
« on: August 14, 2022, 04:32:12 am »

Hi - I hope someone can help with this.

I'm currently evaluating Penteo 16+ for upmixing as a VST3 plugin using JRiver Media Center 29. My platform is Windows 10, using an nVidia RTX 3080 GPU with HDMI output to my A/V amplifier for multichannel audio. Windows itself is set to use Dolby Atmos via use of the Dolby Access app, and this works fine for all Atmos content.

The JRiver JRSS upmixer also performs correctly, utilising all speakers to varying effect. Native multichannel audio playback in Windows also works correctly, as does native multichannel audio playback in Media Center.

I wanted to see if Penteo provided a superior upmixing experience to JRSS but when enabling Penteo, although the source is set to stereo and the output to 7.1, Penteo's output only EVER sends content to front left and front right speakers. Although its own output analyser display shows a full 7.1 batch of channels, soloing any of these reveals no content is being sent to those output channels.

I've asked the Penteo team for advice on this but have a feeling they'll say it's a Media Center issue, so to pre-empt that I'm posting this enquiry here.

Looking forward to hearing from someone who has a similar setup and can advise where I might be going wrong.

FYI detailed Penteo setup follows (Let me know if you need further info):
Audio Device : Default Audio Device (WASAPI)
(My default audio in Windows is the nVidia High Definition Audio)
Device Settings : All checkboxes unchecked, bitdepth automatic, buffering 100ms

DSP and Output Format :
Output encoding : None
Sample Rate : (All converting to 48KHz, which is a requirement for Atmos output)
Channels : 7.1
Extra Channels : None
Mixing : JRSS
Only mix to 2.1 : Unchecked
Move center to front l/r : Unchecked
Detect Stereo Sources in surround : Checked
Subwoofer : Send all frequencies (bass management is handled by my a/v receiver)

All other DSP effects : Off, except Penteo

Looking forward to hearing from the experts on this!

Best,

Marc

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: No multichannel output via Penteo
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 07:57:07 am »

Let Penteo know that we'll provide a license if they need one for testing.  They could write me.  I'm jimh at jriver.

MarcVRML

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 08:01:04 am »

Thanks! I'll email them right away and cc you in.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 08:27:18 am »

Received and replied.  Thanks.

Olombo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 05:24:27 am »

Hi

any progress here? Would like to try penteo as atmos upmixer in JRiver....would b nice to know if it has a chance :-)

MarcVRML

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 05:38:23 am »

No word yet - last info I received was from Penteo, saying their developers were addressing the problem.

in the short term, if you're on windows, you might want to try the free-to-use Dolby Access app (they'll try to sell you a license for atmos for headphones, which is not needed for regular atmos in the home cinema setup). Their latest version has an atmos upmixer which I find works VERY well with JRiver's JRSS upmixer, especially if you have good bass management in your room.

Best,

Marc

Olombo

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 09:53:49 am »

Hi

I want to output via Asio directly to my interface. So a Windows wdm-workaround isnt possible. A Atmos upmix would be nice anyway. Any idea if the problem affects obly Penteo and maxbe sonething lile Halo Nugen works?

MarcVRML

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 10:21:28 am »

I tried Halo and it seemed OK - I just wasn't too happy with the sound it produced. I don't know if that's because it's just not all that great for this purpose, or if it was also having problems feeding audio to the correct outputs. However, unlike Penteo, Halo DID seem to be surrounding me with audio, I just didn't really care for the final result.

Halo won't load as a vst directly, but you can install BC Patchwork (the vst3 version), connect to that on JRiver's DSP settings, and then from there load the Halo plugin. That does seem to work, but I can't vouch for whether or not the issues in audio quality I experienced was because of this containerised method.

Hope that helps.

Olombo

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 02:05:09 pm »

Hi

so at least a chance and it is clear that the problem is located at Penteo. Maxbe I write to them so they see it is more than 1 potential customer who is interested?

The container-method cannot be applied to penteo as well?

eve

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 02:13:27 pm »

I think you should try the 'container' method for this. I use it for upmixing (rarely) / downmixing for headphones with Waves and HALO.
You're looking for something like https://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst-au-rtas-aax-wrapper/ . This is required for Waves and other VSTs. The stack within MetaPlugin should be

Audio Input > Plugin Of Choice > Audio Output

Make sure all the 'wires' are connected to their correct sockets.

The other things to note are that your 'channels' should be how many target channels you're trying to output to and 'mixing' needs to be off.

MarcVRML

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 02:29:32 pm »

I found Penteo crashed when using the container method. Without the container, Penteo ran, but didn't upmix correctly.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Olombo

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2022, 06:15:52 am »

Why are 2 ceiling speakers that difficult to achieve  :'(

Well would be nice if you report back if they found a solution at Penteo! If it also crashed in container it seems that it isnt the most stable plugin ever….

eve

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2022, 12:53:20 pm »

Why are 2 ceiling speakers that difficult to achieve  :'(
Because there isn't a non-hacky atmos decode process just yet :P

Olombo

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2022, 09:39:56 am »

I only know the audiophilestyle-workaround using dolby player and mkv toolboxes. You know another one?? The mentioned is actually limited for me by JRiver win not habdling 16ch mkv Audio (pcm). Linux this works (see parallel thread in this subforum).

So since a „2-clicks and it works with native atmos audio“ might take some more time I am interested in a upmix solution. Some of them are quite good but miss of course some dedicated audio highlights.

So if any of both ways will be feasible (JRiver win 16ch OR Penteo) I would be satisfied for a while :-)

In any case: no avr! Hate it….and afterwards have to feed again a pc for Acourate filters so really horrible workaround.

eve

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2022, 02:22:17 pm »

I only know the audiophilestyle-workaround using dolby player and mkv toolboxes. You know another one?? The mentioned is actually limited for me by JRiver win not habdling 16ch mkv Audio (pcm). Linux this works (see parallel thread in this subforum).

So since a „2-clicks and it works with native atmos audio“ might take some more time I am interested in a upmix solution. Some of them are quite good but miss of course some dedicated audio highlights.

So if any of both ways will be feasible (JRiver win 16ch OR Penteo) I would be satisfied for a while :-)

In any case: no avr! Hate it….and afterwards have to feed again a pc for Acourate filters so really horrible workaround.

Nope. There's not really another solution out there that allows real-time decode (and not synced to video). I'm sure it's conceivably possible, just the closed nature of the atmos player software (and legal implications) is a bit of a barrier to someone spending the time to figure it out just yet since you wouldn't be able to release it. Frankly the Trinnovs have had a software decoder like *forever*, so it's not like Dolby totally locks the format into hardware decode, it's just rare to see.

If you have money to burn and *need* atmos, there's the Arvus Atmos > Digital units, and at least 1 of the JBL Synthesis Pre-Pro's now have Dante out (at least if the manual is correct).

Olombo

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2022, 05:44:07 am »

Hi

„Need“….no! But would be nice. Time will solve this…

MarcVRML

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2022, 06:14:05 am »

No updates on the problem itself from Penteo unfortunately, but having listened to JRSS upmixer, in combination with the Dolby Access Upmixer (recently introduced on the Dolby Access app under settings), I've observed the following, relevant to a 7.2.4 surround setup:

1) JRSS Upmixer + Dolby Access Upmixer works best WITHOUT Volume levelling or Adaptive volume enabled.

2) Set subwoofer to Silent - allow your a/v amp to do the bass management. This WILL make things sound less powerful, and so that's when you need to adjust your sub back to a level where it's comfortable. I found that this then put my sub in parity with the rest of my system when not listening through Media Centre.

3) Make sure your sub is properly dialled in to your speakers at a crossover that suits your listening environment. If it isn't, it creates some very strange effects.

4) Room Treatment and modes / antimodes.
Make sure your room is treated to remove standing waves /peaks / nulls and / or you have a DSP which flattens the peaks properly.

I've glued some rather thick acoustic panelling to the corners of my home office and some other panels to larger exposed wall and ceiling surfaces. I also use a DSpeaker Antimode in combination with this. The acoustic panels tamed the sub hugely, but note that if you're disappointed after DSP sub calibration through an antimode device, just increase the gain on the device for the sub. It's that simple.

5) Dual subwoofers.
Now, I've read all the threads about "summed bass response" and through practical tests now believe it to be a flawed process. Each sub has their own correction curve. Period. I don't care about the physics of this, I can only tell you what I've discovered.

My a/v amp has 2 sub outputs, and the DSpeaker Antimode Dual Core has 2 sub inputs. This allows each one to be independently dialled in by the Antimode, and then summed through its algorithm to deliver a far superior result both in immediate response AND decay times.

Summed bass response for me left a massive gaping hole between 60 and 100Hz, with a -27db dip at the worst points, which did NOT correct during decay.

6) If you're on Windows 10, make sure you're running the latest Dolby Access app, and you'll find the upmixer in its settings. You need to enable 5.1 / 7.1 audio in your Windows audio settings and then turn on the upmixer. Your a/v amp will then register the PC's outgoing audio stream as Atmos, and you WILL hear your overhead speakers kick in.

7) Once you've done all that, now you can turn on jriver's jrss upmixer, and check it out. You'll need to pump the volume up a little higher than you're used to, and as mentioned above, allow your bass management to occur through the amp, so set sub to silent.

This will give you the absolute best quality from the JRSS upsampler on Win10. Some people say they don't like the phasing, some that they can't stand the thinness. I believe these are psychoacoustic effects which are the result of listening to multiple channel bass reinforcement, for example, for so long using the other techniques.

So now I find I can switch between the JRSS upmixer and the Clone Side Channels to Rear Speakers options without hearing weakness in either setting. They're DIFFERENT, but one is not intrinsically weak compared to the other.

Again, from a subjective standpoint I can only say that whereas the JRSS upmixer attempts to place you a little way from the orchestra, filling the front soundstage but also allowing atmospherics to appear around you to grant a sense of immersion, the Clone Side Channels To Rear Speakers option places you on stage, in the middle of the orchestra, and is the closest in-room experience you'll have to wearing headphones.

What I was originally looking for with Penteo was something that achieved a more detailed and nuanced version of the Clone option, but now what I realise is that it's BECAUSE channels are cloned and allowed to interact psychoacoustically with the listener that creates the soundstage in the middle of your head as headphones do, but without the physical encumbrance.

I hope this guide is helpful to someone.

Best,

Marc
Pages: [1]   Go Up