INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wake up display upon playback request?  (Read 206 times)

braunsch

• Recent member
Wake up display upon playback request?
« on: August 17, 2022, 12:31:06 pm »

Hello -
I am new here - and looking for some setup help:

Of the whole MC ecosystem, the only thing I am using is the DLNA renderer, which works very well for me:
- Files on a NAS (Minimserver)
- BubbleUPnP as “OpenHome Renderer”, exposing the MC DLNA renderer to OpenHome Control Points.
- Linn or Lumin controller software on iPad or iPhone

I am running MC on a “headless” (= no monitor, no keyboard) mini-PC (Windows 11) and expect it to send multichannel Hi-Res audio over HDMI to my receiver (because HDMI is the only way for the receiver to accept multichannel high-resolution input). All this works wonderfully and as expected.

The receiver is set to turn itself off automatically after 45 minutes of inactivity (energy savings…). For this to happen, it must receive “no signal” from the HDMI source - but by default, the PC is always sending an image of its desktop - preventing the receiver from turning itself off.

To fix this, I have set Windows to turn off the screen after a short time so that I get my “no signal”.
As expected, MC’s setting “Disable Display from turning off (useful for HDMI Audio)” does its thing and prevents the display (and HDMI output) from turning off - as long as the music plays.  Once the music playback stops, the video output (and HDMI output) from the PC stop after the pre-set time, allowing the receiver to shut down.

Now the problem begins: A few hours later I want to listen to more music - and hit “play” on my controller software - and nothing happens. Neither the display signal nor the HDMI output come back to life, I am not hearing anything. It looks like the MC renderer can’t resume its activity.

Does anyone have a similar experience - and know how to make MC re-start sending signals over HDMI?
(of course, “just hitting a key on the keyboard” to wake up the display is not an option - because there is no keyboard…).

Thank you in advance for your insights!

(on a different note: If I wanted to start using the MC renderer for video - is there a way to always automatically start the movies in full-screen mode? )
Pages: [1]   Go Up