INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: routing external source with Open live to RME ff400 Success!  (Read 1831 times)

TMV

• Recent member
routing external source with Open live to RME ff400 Success!
« on: August 19, 2022, 04:35:01 am »

Hi,
This is my first post here. The goal is to use convolvers designed by Audiolense in JR to drive my 3way system with one sub.

I have managed to load an audiolense filter to the convolver (.cfg) and have it routed to the appropriate channels in Totalmix FX.

The next goal is to route an external spdif source to my RME ff400 and use open live asio to play it through JR. I came across this useful guide attached. Did all the steps and verified using Digicheck. At the end of the guide they chose channel offset 28 for ADAT 15/16.

It is not clear how he knew which channel offset to choose. I use ADAT3/4 in the software playback and am not sure which channel to choose. Currently the ASIO open live hangs or has an error. If anyone with an RME card knows how to do this I would greatly appreciate the help.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: routing external source with Open live to RME ff400
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 06:26:26 am »

Channel numbers for the ff800 are listed in https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91237.0

As far as I recall, it follows the order the channels are listed in total mix so you can just follow that pattern for the 400

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 06:58:33 am »

I removed a garbled link in the first post.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 07:03:16 am »

Fwiw the link worked for me

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 07:18:50 am »

It was a Google search link and downloaded a pdf document.

TMV

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 08:49:44 am »

Thanks for the mapping! I tried to attach the file but didn't find a way to attach a file. The link provided shows it was unsuccessful in FF and indeed whether I use the JR convolver or the AL convolver (by assigning it as my output) the sound is not routed to the respected channels as it does when playing from internal sources. 

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 11:01:42 am »

To verify the mapping, you can play via MC itself. Create a 32 channel (or whatever number the device supports) output format and use mix (in peq) to move a test signal (e.g. to pink noise) to a particular output channel, look in totalmix to see if the number corresponds to the expected named channel.

For the "opening..." problem, as far as I recall (I no longer use my FF as the primary device) it's a multiclient asio driver problem. Try using the Steinberg multichannel asio client instead in order to workaround this problem and verify it is indeed the cause
 Note that driver is 32bit only so you have to use 32bit MC for this test.

TMV

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 01:02:17 am »

Thanks mattkhan, can you please explain how to create the output format in mix?
Also what audiointerface/dac do you use today? RME is supposed to be a really good device but if it is not suitable for my needs there are other options. The Steinberg multichannel client seems old and no longer supported. Would rather not install something like that.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 01:26:16 am »

Output format is described in https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Output_Format

It is the 1st step in DSP studio

I use a Motu 1248 today with a ff800 connected via ADAT for extra channels, it means MC talks to the Motu driver though I still use totalmix to configure routing for those channels handled by the rme.

TMV

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 03:52:09 am »

Do you have external source fed to the Motu? Can you do what I want i.e. route an external source through JR convolver and then back to the interface after convolution?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2022, 09:10:08 am »

Yes that works fine

TMV

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2022, 11:30:23 am »

So it works with Motu but not RME.... I dropped a note in the RME support forum, see what they have to say about it. RME is supposed to be this rock solid industry standard piece of equipment. But if it can't do this seemingly simple task then I might sell and opt for a Motu ultralite MK4/5. 

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2022, 12:37:45 pm »

I suspect it's really a jriver issue as I have used my FF in multiclient mode with other apps without an issue. Having said that, even if it is an rme issue, the FF models are really old now so no chance of any driver fix.

TMV

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 07:51:57 am »

I suspect it's really a jriver issue as I have used my FF in multiclient mode with other apps without an issue. Having said that, even if it is an rme issue, the FF models are really old now so no chance of any driver fix.

I tried doing that with Audiolense stand alone convolver with or without VB-Cable/Hifi cable (even tried with voicemeeter) and it didn't work either so I am not sure where the problem is. It probably works with DAWs as that is the main goal of these audio interfaces. Which other apps did you successfully engage multiclient mode in RME ff?

Edit:
I have tried to send the audio from JRiver to RME wdm instead of asio as I have seen in one of the threads that resulted in something strange. When I use  Open live and channel offset 12. The audio was suddenly sent to software playback 1+2 and in was convolved. Meaning 1 was base and 2 mid as expected. Unfortunately the rest of the channels were silent. I can't wrap my head around the logic of all this.

TMV

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2022, 12:49:13 am »

Asio in with RME set as WDM instead of asio

TMV

• Recent member
Re: routing external source with Open live to RME ff400 Success!
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2022, 05:58:47 am »

So open live didn't work for me.
What did work was routing the input directly to JR WDM driver. I have enabled WDM driver. As the instructions in the link.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver
opened 5 WDM devices on totalmix settings. That is the firey icon that in the tray. It is not the same as the console.
In windows sounds>recording tab choose the external input (spdif in my case) as default. Then properties>listen> tick listen to this device
Now the SPDIF is routed directly to JR wdm driver. Sound is played through the convolver. Local files and other windows applications (youtube etc) work just as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up