INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alexa [OLD Thread]  (Read 1071 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Alexa [OLD Thread]
« on: July 29, 2022, 03:19:13 pm »

Craig (cncb) has been working on getting Alexa going in MC.  Here's a very early look at where he's at.

It's running now on our idtest machine, but won't output audio for a few more days.

On a mobile phone, install Alexa if you haven't already.   Available on the App Store and Play Store.  Confirm that Alex works.

On the same device, Install the Skill

The skill is called Media Center.

You will be addressing Alexa on your mobile phone or other Alexa device.  MC on our idtest machine is the server.

To watch what's happening, you can open a browser  to idtest.jriver.com:52199 (login: first, second). 
Select the "Player" zone in Panel's settings.

Then try this dialog:
Alexa, open media center[once you address Alexa, the command mode remains open]

Commands that will work now are:

what's playing
play
pause
next
create a classical playlist [the "a" is essential]
exit [exits the command mode]

You won't hear anything.  The only way you can see what's happening is to view Panel.  Maybe next week, you'll be able to hear something.

This will not be in MC29.  Only in MC30.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: NEW in MC30 -- Alexa
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 04:41:28 pm »

This thread is mainly for getting instructions right.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 09:03:23 pm »

:) :) :)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 12:40:57 am »

On the same device, Install the Skill.

The skill is called Media Center.
If this isn't a wind-up, is it geo-fenced? When I search from inside the Alexa app, there is no "Media Center" skill available.

In Firefox, the skill link you posted loads a blank white page. In Chrome, it reports that the page "Is not working" with an http 401 error. In Safari on my phone, it asks me if I want to download "e3ddc4b4f3375ea493f54225da89a49cf8d82c22a0f2ff21f92bec3571c698f839c06921b800136 45419d239e3cc8ee21bbaf19d3971e7c5ce6831cd1b5ebc80e84665a18d2980d5ab0a891e5141a2 3ed58cb9de32618a12456a2d0138c44400f5db8ad63c226ef11d85fee7a0f59428"

In the meantime, I'm listening to some Mozart via panel. Perfect for my morning coffee, thank you :)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 01:54:27 am »

The Skill is in beta right now, you won't have access unless specifically granted.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 03:33:26 pm »

Will it be possible to make this skill the default music player for alexa, so that way we don't always have to tell alexa to open the media center skill and then tell it whatever commands we want. Instead if I say 'play nine inch nails' it will automatically play that from MC, assuming that music exists in my MC library.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 03:54:36 pm »

I don't think so because at this point it just controls an MC server and does not play on the Alexa device itself.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 12:46:45 pm »

Not sure how much input you want at this stage, but here is what I use the most on Alexa. These account for the vast majority of my plays.  They should be able to be done with simply searches and they very much mimic current functionality in Alexa., which should be familiar to the average Alexa user.

Italics represent variable entries. Non-italics are key words

Play Album albumname by artist on zone name
  e.g. Play Album Anything is Possible by Patchouli on Main  (where Main is the default player)

Play Track trackname by artist on zone name
  e.g. Play Track Paper Tigers by Patchouli on Main  (where Main is the default player)

Play Playlist Playlist on zone name
  e.g. Play Playlist Summer Pop on Main

Play artist on zone name
  e.g.  Play Patchouli on Bedroom

Play genre on zone name
  e.g  Play Jazz Vocals on Living Room

Volume Up/Down

Volume number 1 to 10

Stop Music

Set defaut zone   -  sets default player (Main)

On the wishlist

Play artist name Radio on zone name
     This is the Pandora like function that plays tracks by artists that are similar to the original artist.

Thanks.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 01:17:08 pm »

The "search" ones are coming but your wishlist item is already possible.  "create a Sting playlist" or "create a play doctor playlist based on Sting" starts PlayDoctor for Sting-related tracks (although it might have some trouble with "Patchouli" like Spotlight did :)).

I think it will better for the user to set the default zone before issuing the play requests instead of having to specify the zone in each request.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 04:27:51 pm »

Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear that most of the Play items are part of the design.  I also think that maintaining consistency with Alexa is desirable.

On the default playback, I would like to have a default but also be able to override that for a given play without having to change the default. Changing the default each time you want to play to a specific place makes it a two step process each time you want to change. Adding a playback zone to the PLAY command would allow playing to a specific zone, while maintaining the default, much like Alexa does by having the Alexa speaker be the default. The default is the standard playback and the overrides are only used occasionally.

Pandora does its radio station selections on a large number of criteria (200 or so) for each track, not just on file tags. I do not know what criteria Play Doctor actual uses, but as I remember they were not very precise.  If Play Doctor is the answer to a Pandora radio station, then it should be invoked automatically from the Play Radio command, without any other intervention from the user. Having to set up playlists or specify criteria negates the ease of the Alexa interface. At the moment I cannot even find Play Doctor to test it. It has been a while since I used it.  Any pointers as to where it is?  According to the Wiki it is under Playing Now, but I do not see it.

EDIT - OK, found Play Doctor again. Best I can tell it just selects random files from the same genre, although there may be more to it than that.  But, it might be a start at the Play Radio command, as long as it is automatic from Alexa. And Patchouli does work in Play Doctor.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2022, 10:11:56 am »

I will look into adding an optional zone specifier to the requests.  I think a rewording might help for clarity on the play doctor command.  I changed it to "start a Sting playlist" because you are not creating a permanent playlist, just launching Play Doctor with the given criteria.  If you want changes in how Play Doctor behaves, that is a different request.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 10:17:14 am »

Thanks. Using the phrase Play Doctor would also be an option, if that doesn't confuse Alexa. Otherwise, Start also works.

Thanks again.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 10:27:15 am »

Yes, you can also say "start a play doctor playlist based on Sting" and other similar phrases.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 10:37:54 am »

THANKS. Looking forward to this!
Pages: [1]   Go Up