INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tags on Sync to Handheld  (Read 1505 times)

vdidenko

• Recent member
Tags on Sync to Handheld
« on: August 21, 2022, 07:12:16 pm »

I have a bunch of FLACs from the years of Bowers Wilkins Society of Sound subscription. I do not seem to be able to have tags transferred to the exported MP3 files and see no way to enable that anywhere, which is a real show-stopper to use the exported collection on mobile.

What do I miss?

vdidenko

• Recent member
Re: Tags on Sync to Handheld
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 07:19:32 pm »

For the context, here are the tags on the original file, before conversion:

vdidenko

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 01:19:08 am »

No one else seen the issue? Or is it an expected behavior I missed in some documentation?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 10:07:00 am »

I have never seen this issue, all of my converted mp3s have the correct metadata.  Are the files you're converting imported in the JRiver, and does the JRiver library have the correct tags as well?  If not I suspect that might be part of the problem.  I think the conversion tool uses the metadata in the JRiver database, not necessarily re-reading it from the file.  It might also help to include a screenshot of your handheld conversion settings.

vdidenko

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 05:46:04 pm »

Finally was able to get to it.

It does look like MC (now 30) does not pass the tags to lame. In the command line it has none of the tagging CLI options. Here is the configuration attached.

Adding hard coded values in the command line makes no difference, the fields are still "Unknown" upon the export conversion:

Code: [Select]
-V 4 --vbr-new --tt test --ta test --tl test
I am really curious on what your configuration/command line shown as?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 10:09:25 am »

Finally was able to get to it.

It does look like MC (now 30) does not pass the tags to lame. In the command line it has none of the tagging CLI options. Here is the configuration attached.

Adding hard coded values in the command line makes no difference, the fields are still "Unknown" upon the export conversion:

-V 4 --vbr-new --tt test --ta test --tl test
I am really curious on what your configuration/command line shown as?

So my settings aren't meaningfully different than yours, and it's working fine here on MC 30.  I don't use the custom command line switches option, I just us the VBR "High" preset, so my custom command line setting isn't really relevant, but FWIW it looks like yours.  Also, just to rule something out and I know this may sound dumb, but in your screencap, you don't have the custom command line switches option radio button checked, so none of those command line flags *should* be doing anything at all.  You're using the built in quality preset, not the custom command line in that screen capture so the CLI options won't do anything if you change them.  I assume when you tested the changes to the command line that you moved the radio button down to select the custom tags, right?

You might've missed one of my questions in my earlier reply:  are the files you're converting imported in JRiver, and does the JRiver library have the correct tags as well?  Like if you look at the FLAC files in JRiver, do you see the correct tag information?  If not that's probably the issue (i.e. JRiver is writing it's database tags rather than the file tags).  If all the tag data is correctly in your JRiver library there's something odd happening here. 

vdidenko

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 06:31:24 pm »

I assume when you tested the changes to the command line that you moved the radio button down to select the custom tags, right?

That was the case, yes.

... does the JRiver library have the correct tags as well?  Like if you look at the FLAC files in JRiver, do you see the correct tag information?

I think I see the tag info in the MC correctly (at least that is what it looks like to me), see the screenshot - is that what you meant? After checking the tags, to make sure, I selected all files in the playlist and ran "Rclick -> Library Tools -> Update Linrary (from tags)". Then ran the export. Nothing changed (attached output file properties). I then did "Update Tags (from library)" and reran the export - to no effect either.

Something odd, yeah...

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 06:56:58 pm »

That is the case, yes.

I see the tag info in the MC correctly (at least that is what it looks like to me), see the screenshot - is that what you meant? After checking the tags, to make sure, I selected all files in the playlist and ran "Rclick -> Library Tools -> Update Linrary (from tags)". Then ran the export. Nothing changed (attached output file properties). I then did "Update Tags (from library)" and reran the export - to no effect indeed.

Something odd, yeah...

Hmm.  Ok I have one last thought.  Have a look at Options-->Library & Folders-->Manage Library Fields.  Have you unchecked the "Save in File Tags (When Possible)" box for the relevant tags? 

If that's not it, I'm out of ideas, but I can confirm that everything is working normally here with MC 30 on Debian 11.

vdidenko

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 09:58:16 pm »

Have you unchecked the "Save in File Tags (When Possible)" box for the relevant tags?

I did not, I thought it should be "ON" for things to work, is that correct?

If that's not it, I'm out of ideas, but I can confirm that everything is working normally here with MC 30 on Debian 11.

No worries, and thank you very much for looking into it!

If someone else stumbles upon this, I am on Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS - a derivative of the same-versioned Ubuntu. The lame library seems current:

$ apt list --installed *lame*
Listing... Done
lame-doc/jammy,jammy,now 3.100-3build2 all [installed]
lame/jammy,now 3.100-3build2 amd64 [installed]
libmp3lame0/jammy,now 3.100-3build2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libtwolame0/jammy,now 0.4.0-2build2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
$

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 03:32:08 pm »

I did not, I thought it should be "ON" for things to work, is that correct?

Correct, it should be on.  Sometimes people turn it off though and then wonder why tags don't get written to files!
Pages: [1]   Go Up