INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote2 from outside the LAN  (Read 1979 times)

TopDownDriver

• World Citizen
JRemote2 from outside the LAN
« on: August 24, 2022, 04:46:38 pm »

I've got JRemote 2 working fine when I am on the same network, but can't get it to work when outside my network.  Now I've had this working in the past, just can't figure what I am doing wrong this time.

I've attached a screenshot of both JRemote config and the router's Port Forwarding:

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: Need assistance...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 05:52:40 pm »

Your access key was in the second image, so I removed it.

TopDownDriver

• World Citizen
Re: JRemote2 from outside the LAN
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 05:53:44 pm »

Thanks!  Any idea what is wrong?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 05:54:29 pm »

The wiki has a topic called Network Access.

In MC, you can also test the outside access by clicking on the Access Key in Media Network settings.

markl

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 12:51:35 am »

I've had the same issue with JRemote for IOS.  Was working OK from outside my network for years but suddenly last year stopped working without anything having changed in my setup (same Iphone, same desktop, same modem/router, same ISP).  Did all the usual checks to ensure port-forwarding set up OK and testing outside access working OK by clicking on the Access Key in Media Network settings.  Everything set up fine but when I try and connect via JRemote I get the following: 'Connecting to IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, Response  recieved, Name of server is xxxxx, Authenticating with credentials,  Could not connect (network is unreachable)'.

It works fine when connecting from outside my network via Panel - it's only JRemote that has the problem.

The only thing I can think is there is some issue with the way JRemote/MC handle the username and password credentials when connecting via JRemote. With Panel it prompts for the username and password after connecting - but JRemote somehow sends the stored username and password at the time of connection.

Perhaps this is an ISP issue?  Maybe the ISP have somehow tightened up on security by preventing the use of stored usernames and password credentials when allowing connections from outside the network?  But just guessing here...

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 01:24:03 am »

Try getting a new Access Key by unchecking the Media Network option and re-checking it.

Then try the test by clicking on the Access Key.

markl

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 05:18:07 pm »

Try getting a new Access Key by unchecking the Media Network option and re-checking it.

Then try the test by clicking on the Access Key.

Hi Jim.  Thanks for the response.  Tried generating a new Access Key a number of times but it did not resolve the problem.  Still unable to connect via JRemote from outside my network.  I assume if the Access Key was the issue that would also prevent Panel from connecting to my MC server from outside the network - but unlike JRemote, Panel has never had a problem connecting.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 01:12:11 am »

Hi Jim.  Thanks for the response.  Tried generating a new Access Key a number of times but it did not resolve the problem.  Still unable to connect via JRemote from outside my network.  I assume if the Access Key was the issue that would also prevent Panel from connecting to my MC server from outside the network - but unlike JRemote, Panel has never had a problem connecting.
If Panel works and JRemote doesn't, then maybe there is a typo in your authentication.  Try no authentication.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 08:54:57 am »

This is possibly a IPv4 -> IPv6 issue.
We've noticed this especially on some cell networks.
The access key server was changed to add the dns name as well so if the IPv4 address doesn't make it through the translation, if there is a reverse address mapping to a name, that usually works.

You might try a VPN just to test. Most of those have real IPv4 public addresses.

markl

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2022, 06:48:30 am »

This is possibly a IPv4 -> IPv6 issue.
We've noticed this especially on some cell networks.
The access key server was changed to add the dns name as well so if the IPv4 address doesn't make it through the translation, if there is a reverse address mapping to a name, that usually works.

You might try a VPN just to test. Most of those have real IPv4 public addresses.

Hi Bob.  Thanks a lot for the feedback.  This sounds like a promising line of enquiry.  When you suggest trying a VPN to confirm if this is the issue,  do you mean using a VPN from my IPhone running JRemote or using a VPN on my Windows desktop running MC?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 09:41:00 am »

Hi Bob.  Thanks a lot for the feedback.  This sounds like a promising line of enquiry.  When you suggest trying a VPN to confirm if this is the issue,  do you mean using a VPN from my IPhone running JRemote or using a VPN on my Windows desktop running MC?
VPN from your iPhone. I've used PIA (Private internet access) successfully.
I'm sure others would work too if the exit node has a IPV4 public address.

markl

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2022, 08:26:07 pm »

VPN from your iPhone. I've used PIA (Private internet access) successfully.
I'm sure others would work too if the exit node has a IPV4 public address.

Hi Bob - thanks. Yep that resolved it. I installed a free VPN on my iPhone (Windscribe) and JRemote is able to connect when the VPN is on. When the VPN is switched off it fails to connect.

So I assume this confirms JRemote does not work on some cell networks due to IPv4 -> IPv6 issues. I'm guessing my service provider (Telstra Australia) did some change/upgrade last year related to IPv6 that started causing the problem.  Can anything be done on the MC or JRemote side to fix the issue so I don't have to use a VPN on my iPhone?   I notice JRemote runs pretty slow when using the VPN.  i don't want to pay for a yearly subscription for a better quality VPN if I can avoid it.

Just for my understanding Bob, why does Panel running on my iPhone Safari brower not get affected by this IPv4->IPv6 issue in the way that JRemote does? 

Thanks again for your help!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2022, 04:59:45 pm »

Hi Bob - thanks. Yep that resolved it. I installed a free VPN on my iPhone (Windscribe) and JRemote is able to connect when the VPN is on. When the VPN is switched off it fails to connect.

So I assume this confirms JRemote does not work on some cell networks due to IPv4 -> IPv6 issues. I'm guessing my service provider (Telstra Australia) did some change/upgrade last year related to IPv6 that started causing the problem.  Can anything be done on the MC or JRemote side to fix the issue so I don't have to use a VPN on my iPhone?   I notice JRemote runs pretty slow when using the VPN.  i don't want to pay for a yearly subscription for a better quality VPN if I can avoid it.

Just for my understanding Bob, why does Panel running on my iPhone Safari brower not get affected by this IPv4->IPv6 issue in the way that JRemote does? 

Thanks again for your help!
I'm not certain but I think it's because the browser on the iPad is IPV6 capable.
It MIGHT be just in the network stack JRemote uses. There are 3 choices that you get when linking and we are using the middle choice, not the newest, for backwards compatibility that is possibly not necessary any more. 
I might try making a beta to test this out.

markl

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 06:21:32 pm »

I'm not certain but I think it's because the browser on the iPad is IPV6 capable.
It MIGHT be just in the network stack JRemote uses. There are 3 choices that you get when linking and we are using the middle choice, not the newest, for backwards compatibility that is possibly not necessary any more. 
I might try making a beta to test this out.

Hi Bob - just checking if you were able to make a beta test to confirm if changing the network stack JRemote uses works OK?   I'm really hoping if something can be done with JRemote so that it can work on cell networks that have been upgraded for IPV6.  My main use case for JRemote has been from outside my home network during my daily commute - and that hasn't been working now for over a year (since my cell network provider made some IVP6-related changes).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2022, 09:04:41 pm »

Hi Bob - just checking if you were able to make a beta test to confirm if changing the network stack JRemote uses works OK?   I'm really hoping if something can be done with JRemote so that it can work on cell networks that have been upgraded for IPV6.  My main use case for JRemote has been from outside my home network during my daily commute - and that hasn't been working now for over a year (since my cell network provider made some IVP6-related changes).
I did try it without success.
I'm going to need to figure out which call is not working when it's done in JRemote. May add some logging. Are you getting Betas?

markl

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 10:07:24 pm »

I did try it without success.
I'm going to need to figure out which call is not working when it's done in JRemote. May add some logging. Are you getting Betas?

Hi Bob - thanks for the feedback.  I'm not currently getting Beta releases.  What's the process for getting access to Beta releases?

FYI,  I downloaded the IOS version of MO 4Media to check if it has the same issue - and it does.  When outside the LAN it fails to connect to MC with the messasge  'Could not authenticate on the server. Please check the user'.  If I turn on the VPN on the phone it connects ok.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2022, 10:43:08 am »

Hi Bob - thanks for the feedback.  I'm not currently getting Beta releases.  What's the process for getting access to Beta releases?

FYI,  I downloaded the IOS version of MO 4Media to check if it has the same issue - and it does.  When outside the LAN it fails to connect to MC with the messasge  'Could not authenticate on the server. Please check the user'.  If I turn on the VPN on the phone it connects ok.
I'll add you to the beta iOS list.

I'll pass along the info on MO4Media as well.

markl

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2022, 06:43:22 pm »

I'll add you to the beta iOS list.

I'll pass along the info on MO4Media as well.

Thanks Bob.  I've now got access to the beta release.
Pages: [1]   Go Up