INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disappearing Library and Quitting hang time  (Read 633 times)

gradu8ed

• Recent member
Disappearing Library and Quitting hang time
« on: August 31, 2022, 06:09:47 pm »

I'm running mac os 10.13.6 on a 2012 mac mini and this has happened 8-10 times so far. I upgraded to MC29 from MC26 and never had these issues with mc26. I installed MC29 and added then opened the library I had been running from MC26 and things seemed to be ok. Unfortunately, so far I've had the following three disappearing scenarios:

Opened mc and the library I had been using (eg: Main Library - 2022-07-24) had disappeared from mc and been replaced with a new empty Main Library, no files, no settings.

Opened mc and the library I had been using (eg: Main Library - 2022-07-24) had disappeared from mc and been replaced with a new Main Library that included all of my files and some of my settings. Notably missing were the Auto-Import folder settings that had been working fine. - which just happened again-
Opened mc and the regular library is in place and seems ok but the Auto-Import folder settings that had been working fine are blank.

I've been patient and hoped the last update would fix it (currently on 29.0.87 from 08-17-22) or that I'd figure out what I'd been doing wrong but so far not-so-good.
Fortunately I've got TimeMachine in place. If I go in and replace the current versions of
users/me/library/application support/jriver/media center 29
users/me/library/preferences/com.jriver.MediaCenter29.plist
users/me/documents/Media Center 29/Library Backups/MC Library Backup (Main Library - 2022-08-20 09-20)
with a version from 2-24 hours ago (sometimes the timing is trial and error) and all is as it was and ok.

The second issue is that when quitting MC it will generally take 30 seconds to 5 minutes of the spinning beachball for the program to quit.

NowI presume it's on me and attribute some degree of culpability to my aging os and hardware, even though it's still in the supported status. I've been putting off buying new hardware until apple released a mac mini with the new M2 chip but I've caved and just purchased one with the M1 chip.
MC29, Mac Mini M2 Pro, Synology NAS DS920+, Pioneer Elite Pro FD111 50" plasma, Sunfire Theater Grand IV Preamp/Processor, Sunfire Cinema Grand (5 x 200 watts per channel), VPI TNT-5 turntable w/JMW 12.6 Memorial Tonearm, Audio Physic Spark III floor-standing mains, Audio Physic Center II, Audio Physic Step surrounds.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: Disappearing Library and Quitting hang time
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 02:10:25 am »

You can restore a backup.  MC makes them automatically.  See the wiki for more.

If it seems hung, wait longer.  I don't recognize the problem though.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Disappearing Library and Quitting hang time
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 10:17:19 am »

Have you *installed* MC29?  Did you drag it out of the DMG and into the Applications folder?

It's a common mistake to just run the MC29 program right from the DMG.  That makes weird things happen and might explain what you've been seeing.

Side note:  I'm typing this to you on an M1 13" macbook pro.  After having this machine for 4 or 5 months, I liked the speed and efficiency so much, that I replaced my 2014 5k iMac with an M1 Mac Mini.  The M1 Mac Mini is fantastic.  It's a much better machine than the older iMac at a tiny fraction of the price.  I hope you enjoy your M1 Mini as much as I do.

Take care,
Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up