INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPhone photos to Win10 PC  (Read 1207 times)

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
iPhone photos to Win10 PC
« on: September 20, 2022, 01:20:02 am »

Can anyone recommend an easy to use, reliable (and not too expensive) program for uploading photos from an iPhone/iPad to a Windows PC?

I'd like to be able to select a range of photos and upload, as opposed to a sync option. There appear to be quite a few programs available, so after some guidance.

Thanks

Manfred

Re: iPhone photos to Win10 PC
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 12:48:11 pm »

I use iCloud App on Windows.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 05:05:53 pm »

Thanks Manfred, I understood that was for transferring to iCloud, I want to store locally does it offer that functionality as well?

Edit: Just had a look at the program and it tells me it does. Thanks will give it a try.

Cheers

Manfred

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 03:51:44 am »

If your photos are synced to iCloud on your iPhone, you just have to install iCloud for Windows
https://support.apple.com/de-de/HT204283

You can the access all photos through Windows Explorer and copy them to a local disk.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 11:57:38 am »

I use iCloud for Windows too. It's a little flawed (for me at least) because I find that the 'sync' only works one way.

I take a photo on my phone, and in short order, the program has downloaded that photo to my PC in the iCloud 'Downloads' folder. I have MC watch that folder, so all management of its contents is done from within MC.

I have a view that deals with the contents of that folder only. All other views exclude the contents of that folder.

Using iCloud for Windows does not propogate deletions.
Delete a picture from the 'Downloads' folder, and it does not get deleted from iCloud, nor my phone.
Similarly, deleting a picture on my phone does not remove it from the 'Downloads' folder in Windows.
Deleting a picture from iCloud removes it from my phone also, but does not remove it from the 'Downloads' folder in Windows.

Other than that, it's great. When we're out and I'm snapping away, by the time I get home, the photos are already downloaded, imported by MC and ready for review.

-marko

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 06:26:37 pm »

Thanks guys, sounds pretty close to what I need. I never really considered iCloud as I maintain my own NAS backed up to BackBlaze but this sounds like it could simplify the uploading of the photos in the first place.

Do I have control of which photos get uploaded? I'm only thinking of all the photos I already have on 3 devices that would need to be synced with iCloud that still have 1000's of pictures on them. Will iCloud attempt to upload all of these (which I don't need as they are already on my NAS and BackBlaze) or can I get it to start from a particular time?

I'm also trialling WonderShare MobileTrans which does a good job.

Thanks

GaryG45

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 09:42:22 am »

Marko,
The latest version of iCloud for Windows has changed the folder structure.  Under /Pictures/iCloud Photos the subfolders are Photos, Shared and Sharing.  They got rid of the Downloads and Uploads folders.  Last year I installed the latest version of iCloud for Windows because of problems with the previous version, and at first thought the photos in the Downloads folder had been deleted then I found them in the Photos folder.

Gary

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 11:20:24 am »

Marko,
The latest version of iCloud for Windows has changed the folder structure.  Under /Pictures/iCloud Photos the subfolders are Photos, Shared and Sharing.  They got rid of the Downloads and Uploads folders.  Last year I installed the latest version of iCloud for Windows because of problems with the previous version, and at first thought the photos in the Downloads folder had been deleted then I found them in the Photos folder.

Gary
I've no idea which version I'm using! I wonder if the 'downloads' folder doesn't get used if you enable the photostream thing?
As you can see in the attached, my settings are as described and work well-ish.

Can you tell me, using your version, if you delete a photo on your PC, does that deletion get synced to iCloud and your devices?

-marko

GaryG45

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 12:48:19 pm »

All of the photos in the iCloud Photos/Photos folder have a cloud icon in the bottom left corner, so you don't have a physical version of the photo on your hard drive.  When I delete a photo, I receive a message stating that I'm deleting an online file and that it will be deleted from my PC and not go to the recycle bin.  After deleting the photo and waiting about 5 minutes it still exists in the Photos app on my phone, so it doesn't get deleted from the iCloud.

Another thing I don't like is if I want to keep a photo I have to download it from the iCloud then move the downloaded photo to my photo library on an external hard drive.  I have to login to iCloud in order to download the photo because File Explorer gets an error during the download, which I haven't been able to resolve.  I'm testing another method to get the photos on my PC using Lightroom mobile and Lightroom Classic.  It works well getting the photos to my PC, but deleting them from iCloud and the Adobe cloud adds steps I'd rather not do.

A friend showed me how to find the version of iCloud for Windows, and I cannot remember what we did.  I'll update if I find how to do it.

Gary

GaryG45

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 01:33:39 pm »

To find the iCloud for Windows version, go to the Windows Start menu and go thru the list of apps until you find iCloud. Right click on iCloud, select More then click App Settings.  A Settings window will open with the version.  Mine is 13.4.101.0.

Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up