INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver to HQPlayer  (Read 4217 times)

KMSV

• Recent member
JRiver to HQPlayer
« on: September 21, 2022, 12:56:06 am »

Hi,

Are there plan to integrate HQPlayer as a playback engine?  I prefer to have the option of the filter and up-sampling that HQPlayer provides.

Thanks

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver to HQPlayer
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 02:11:43 am »

has been asked previously, answer has always been no

KMSV

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 01:23:11 am »

has been asked previously, answer has always been no

That's too bad.. so far I have not see any improvements to audio quality with the year to year versions.. I guess I'll skip out this year until some meaningful changes that have to do with audio quality.. HQPlayer would be a no brainer, I don't see why the strong push back by the dev.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 05:55:15 am »

That's too bad.. so far I have not see any improvements to audio quality with the year to year versions.. I guess I'll skip out this year until some meaningful changes that have to do with audio quality.. HQPlayer would be a no brainer, I don't see why the strong push back by the dev.
It won't happen.  You might re-visit what you can do in MC.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 08:51:57 am »

I've already bought HQPlayer and been experimenting with it. I like what its upsampling does and I like the filter choices it does. It does improve the sound quality when used with the right DACs. The SoX upsampling cannot match the sound quality of upsampling that HQPlayer does. Not the same league. SoX is not a substitute for HQPlayer.

My next DAC is going to be one that works well with HQPlayer upsampling. Either a NOS DAC or one that can bypass its internal oversampling. And at that point I'll need a media player that supports HQPlayer and makes HQPlayer easy and convenient to use.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 09:46:47 am »

The HQPlayer Embedded version can be installed on a NUC type device and can operate as a UPnP renderer. I'm assuming JRiver Media Center would be able to play files to the HQPlayer Embedded device using UPnP/DLNA and do gapless playback. I'm willing to explore that as an option when the time comes. I haven't seen any confirmation from others using HQPlayer Embedded that it will play well and be convenient and easy to use and do proper gapless playback when used with JRiver Media Center. It would be an expensive experiment if it doesn't work (the cost of the HQPlayer Embedded license plus the cost of the NUC style hardware to run it on).

KMSV

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 01:00:42 am »

It won't happen.  You might re-visit what you can do in MC.

I spent a week comparing JRiver upsampling to HQPlayer and as said before it's no match compared to HQPlayer.  I have the Holo May NOS DAC and HQPlayer really took it to another level.  Roon has integration with HQPlayer there are API HQPlayer made available for any 3rd party to integrate, which is why I thought it's a low effort no brainier addition to increase the value of JRiver.  May I ask the reason for not pursuing this?  I would much rather have this than the streaming feature that is so much the focus for these recent release.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 06:20:44 am »

There is a Zen saying:

Comparisons are odious.

If you're comparing sound from two different audio paths, you need to do it without knowing which one you're listening to, and more importantly with the volume matched.

Try turning the volume up on each to see what you think.

We focus on faithful reproduction of the original audio, and on supporting well known standards.

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2022, 08:08:44 am »

any manipulation on data  (upsampling or downasmpling etc) change the sound.  Maybe for better or maybe for worse.
And after all, it  is only canned music nowhere near anything live.
Get an accoustic instrument and see for youself.
Or visit recording studio and listen to what is coming directly from microphones.
Pages: [1]   Go Up