INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Level  (Read 1462 times)

mlempenau

• nothing more to say...
Sound Level
« on: August 23, 2003, 08:43:40 pm »

My sound level output varies.  It starts out at one level and within 30 seconds has dropped to about 3/4 what it was.  This problem has been happening for some time.  I have changed sound cards, and Windows Media Player does the same thing.  So I am at a loss as to whats wrong.  Any ideas would be helpful.  Thanks, Mike

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sound Level
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 01:06:20 pm »

Do you have Replay Gain enabled in the DSP Studio?

Rob

mlempenau

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 03:45:50 pm »

I didn't know about the DSP studio.  Well, I guess I forgot about it.  Altho the replay gain was not the problem, it took me to the problem.  Now I have another one :o  The reason I was getting different levels was because I had the clip protection on.  Turning it off allowed the gain to stay the same but then I had distortion.  It was so bad that I had to put the clip protection right back on.  I am assuming that the real problem is something else I still can't figure???  

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 04:01:32 pm »

I have this problem also the problem is with the DSP and maybe compatability with the DSP with the sound board.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 05:16:40 pm »

I am assuming that the real problem is something else I still can't figure

Well, part of the problem is just how music is recorded, engineered and mastered these days. Generally, most pop/rock music is made to sound as loud as possible which often results in clipping and distortion.

What I would recommend, especially if you tend to listen to your music as randomly mixed playlists of artists and albums, would be to analyze your music files with MJs Audio Analyzation feature and then enable Replay Gain for playback. This will go along way in making tracks from different sources sound more similar in volume. Note, this feature won't be nearly as useful if you tend to listen to full albums rather than random mixes.

Rob

mlempenau

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2003, 06:30:40 pm »

Where can I find this MJs audio analyzation?  I listen to full albums mostly, but do want to get around to making some playlists that can be random selections.  Thanks for your help.  It has helped me to understand what is happening better.  

rocketsauce

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 03:34:14 am »

Haven't used MJ8 for quite awhile, but I believe it is in one of the menus that is on the Properties window.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up