INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing music extremely slow on Mac vs Windows Computers  (Read 906 times)

snowman

• Recent member
Importing music extremely slow on Mac vs Windows Computers
« on: September 30, 2022, 03:57:31 pm »

Not sure if it is the right place to post my observation but here it is.

I am running JRiver MC 26 on an old laptop (Windows 7.0 Ultimate Service Pack 1) and on an iMac (Catalina 10.15.7) connected to a Synology DS918+ NAS (that is where my music is store). My music folder contains 185000 songs. Mostly flac, m4a, mp3 and DSF files. And the NAS is set to only accept SMB connections. AFP is disabled.

I have been wanting to upgrade ever since from MC 26 but every time I try the latest version (in this case MC 29), I have the same issue as MC 26.

JRiver performs lighting fast on my Windows laptop. I can search for a song no problem. I can update tags, no problem. I can make large updates without problems. Manually running the Auto-Import (185000 files) takes less than two minutes.

On my iMac, it takes almost 30 minutes to manually run the Auto-import. I can search for a song no problem. I can update tags, no problem. Making large updates is slower though.

Am I the only one experiencing this issue? Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Importing music extremely slow on Mac vs Windows Computers
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 04:10:40 pm »

Same here, MacMini M1, MC version 29.86, media on a TrueNAS server over gigabit ethernet.

snowman

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 03:55:42 pm »

Thanks AGAWA for sharing the link.

Unfortunately, although signing_required=no, it did not fix my issue.

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 07:47:33 pm »

I, also, had no luck.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 10:20:08 am »

This seems to be a common problem. For example:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/very-slow-access-to-smb-and-afp-shares.2285822/page-2

There are several references to very slow performance on shares from encrypted filesystems on the NAS as well.

On my own system NFS performance to my Id's NAS services is WAY better than with SMB.

The downside of NFS is that the support for it in MacOS is poorly documented and I've run into some issues when the shares become unavailable (like when I take my laptop on a trip without disconnecting the shares first).

I don't think it should matter but you MIGHT try ticking the box "Disable filesystem support for auto-import" under Library & Folders -> Auto-import

That is the MacOS mechanism that alerts a program when a file is changed in the auto-import folder. That mechanism doesn't work over SMB anyway and SHOULD be disabled by default.

snowman

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 07:33:04 pm »

Agree that it seems to be a common problem with different solutions based on people's setup.

What puzzles me though is that I do not have slow performance with apps such as dBpoweramp and FreeFileSync to name a couple. Anyway, not the end of the world.

@bob Thanks for the reply and the link.
Pages: [1]   Go Up