INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SVG file format - Adding Thumbnails  (Read 257 times)

samarah88

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Bucks!
SVG file format - Adding Thumbnails
« on: October 03, 2022, 02:36:51 pm »

I'm trying to use Media Center to organize my image files, but I frequently use SVG files. It doesn't seem that MC supports SVG. I know I can organize the SVG files and open with a third-party application (Inkscape in this case), but I would like to save the time of opening each file to see the contents. I have project folders that have hundreds of images in each, say Halloween related images.  Then I use the SVG files to generate NC code for a CNC router.

Any suggestions or plans to implement thumbnail support for SVG?

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: SVG file format - Adding Thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 02:50:14 pm »

I'm trying to use Media Center to organize my image files, but I frequently use SVG files. It doesn't seem that MC supports SVG. I know I can organize the SVG files and open with a third-party application (Inkscape in this case), but I would like to save the time of opening each file to see the contents. I have project folders that have hundreds of images in each, say Halloween related images.  Then I use the SVG files to generate NC code for a CNC router.

Any suggestions or plans to implement thumbnail support for SVG?

You could generate thumbnails on your own with a script. ImageMagik will help you here.

I actually don't mind MC not supporting SVG. It's *technically* a compromised format and has some security considerations depending on how MC would process / look at them. For example, in browsers SVGs can be used to run malicious javascript that most people would never see or be tipped off to.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 03:42:53 pm »

Somewhat Clumsy Workaround:  I always use Inkscape to export a PNG from each of my SVG files, with the same root name as the SVG.  Then I set Windows Explorer View to Medium or Large icons, sort by filename, so I always see the PNG image thumbnail adjacent to the SVG file in Windows Explorer.  You could then set up an MC Image View to see the PNGs as well. 

With a little googling around you can probably figure out how to batch convert a whole folder of SVGs to PNGs.

eve

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 05:22:26 pm »

Somewhat Clumsy Workaround:  I always use Inkscape to export a PNG from each of my SVG files, with the same root name as the SVG.  Then I set Windows Explorer View to Medium or Large icons, sort by filename, so I always see the PNG image thumbnail adjacent to the SVG file in Windows Explorer.  You could then set up an MC Image View to see the PNGs as well. 

With a little googling around you can probably figure out how to batch convert a whole folder of SVGs to PNGs.

Yeah, I forget the exact command I run but I'm pretty sure it's just done through imagemagick, you should be able to make a .bat that you can drop a folder onto and have it write out .pngs next to each .svg
Pages: [1]   Go Up