INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remaining Problems  (Read 2993 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remaining Problems
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2022, 12:05:22 pm »

I think what AliciaViola is talking about is only a problem with the Tag Window.

He's referring to the FILENAME field in the Tag Window.  If you click on that field , which highlights the filename, it will transform the diacriticals into regular ascii plus a space.  When you then click somewhere else and the highlight goes away, the filename returns to normal and shows the diacriticals again. 

The filename on disk is correct.  The MC reference to the file is correct.  The file will play.  But it looks all wrong if you highlight the field.

Is this what you are describing Frank?  If not, please give us a good example.

Thanks,
Brian.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2022, 02:57:14 pm »

Files cannot be saved to a folder that has a * or " in their name. MC instead creates a new folder. A ? in the name of a track is saved as _.

This is likely because these are invalid characters under Windows, and most of MC's code is common between Windows and Mac. So while technically these could be allowed on Mac, the common code is stripping them out for compatibility. This also makes sense for users having shared libraries between a windows and a mac machine: Windows wouldn't be able to play these files otherwise.

These chars are usually forbidden on NTFS/Windows:
/ ? < > \ : * | " and any character with ascii code below 0x20 (ctrl characters)

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2022, 05:41:48 pm »

Zybex and blgentry are right. But it's not only the filename field in the tag window but ANY field in the tag window. All of them have that problem and ever had
since I am working with JRiver MediaCenter and for many years now.
For sure I can't be alone in having this problem. Diacritical characters are common to most languages except English. Every language has something like
á, à, a, ç, ö.....
And these letters are essential because a, c, o.... would in many cases change the meaning of words.
For instance, Handel (trade) in German is quite different from the old word Händel (quarrel).
I understand that *, ?, ", _ are difficult in exchange with a windows system but on a Mac all of these work and there is no problem at all with them.
Neither in tags nor in file names. Any program on my Mac can read and write them without any difficulty. Save MC.
I am very often exchanging files with users that are working on a windows system. Difficult for them are only the file names with diacritical characters,
not the tags. Before exchange I change them but on my Mac system I want to have them in a correct way because they are essential for me.
And if a program is available for Mac it should feel like a Mac program and not a Windows program adapted for another system.
There are numerous other programs (Word. Excel, WaveLab..........) that came out for Windows and then were available for Mac or Linux.
All of them work like genuine Mac programs with none of the problems I am speaking about. And I never with any of them had an exchange problem with a Windows user.

Sorry I won't sound offensive but this - at least for me - never has been really solved MC.

It would be easier to explain it if videos could be exchanged in the forum, too. Brian received some now and I am sure that he realises what I am speaking about.
I am working on a nearly new Mac, an up-to-date system and the internal drive.
Frank

I think what AliciaViola is talking about is only a problem with the Tag Window.

He's referring to the FILENAME field in the Tag Window.  If you click on that field , which highlights the filename, it will transform the diacriticals into regular ascii plus a space.  When you then click somewhere else and the highlight goes away, the filename returns to normal and shows the diacriticals again. 

The filename on disk is correct.  The MC reference to the file is correct.  The file will play.  But it looks all wrong if you highlight the field.

Is this what you are describing Frank?  If not, please give us a good example.

Thanks,
Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2022, 06:43:18 pm »

Zybex and blgentry are right. But it's not only the filename field in the tag window but ANY field in the tag window. All of them have that problem and ever had
since I am working with JRiver MediaCenter and for many years now.
For sure I can't be alone in having this problem. Diacritical characters are common to most languages except English. Every language has something like
á, à, a, ç, ö.....
And these letters are essential because a, c, o.... would in many cases change the meaning of words.
For instance, Handel (trade) in German is quite different from the old word Händel (quarrel).
I understand that *, ?, ", _ are difficult in exchange with a windows system but on a Mac all of these work and there is no problem at all with them.
Neither in tags nor in file names. Any program on my Mac can read and write them without any difficulty. Save MC.
I am very often exchanging files with users that are working on a windows system. Difficult for them are only the file names with diacritical characters,
not the tags. Before exchange I change them but on my Mac system I want to have them in a correct way because they are essential for me.
And if a program is available for Mac it should feel like a Mac program and not a Windows program adapted for another system.
There are numerous other programs (Word. Excel, WaveLab..........) that came out for Windows and then were available for Mac or Linux.
All of them work like genuine Mac programs with none of the problems I am speaking about. And I never with any of them had an exchange problem with a Windows user.

Sorry I won't sound offensive but this - at least for me - never has been really solved MC.

It would be easier to explain it if videos could be exchanged in the forum, too. Brian received some now and I am sure that he realises what I am speaking about.
I am working on a nearly new Mac, an up-to-date system and the internal drive.
Frank
So the filenames are stored in the DB in DECOMPOSED format which will be different than PRECOMPOSED if they have diacriticals.
The code in the database fields expects PRECOMPOSED utf-8 for the tags.
If the tags don't already exist, the name field is filled in from the filename. That was DECOMPOSED, in the next build it will be PRECOMPOSED and the space character problem will go away IN THE CASE THAT THE TAGS DON'T ALREADY HAVE A NAME FIELD. I've tested this and it works.

Now if your pre-existing tag fields in the files you are importing contain DECOMPOSED utf-8, that is the fault of some other tagging program or pasting DECOMPOSED characters into the tag field in MC (which was fixed by the copy/paste change).

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2022, 12:52:32 am »

Thank you!
Frank
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up