INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD ripping in MC 29.0.87 for Mac  (Read 974 times)

VacuumTubes

• Recent member
CD ripping in MC 29.0.87 for Mac
« on: October 10, 2022, 08:02:59 pm »

I recently replaced an Intel Mac mini with the newest (2020) model with the M1 CPU. I am running mac OS Monterey 12.6 and MC 29.0.87.

It has been awhile since I ripped CDs, and have not had any issues until now. Putting a CD into the Apple SuperDrive, it registers as an Audio CD on the desktop. MC 29 is set as the program to open for CDs, yet MC 29 does not pick up the disc. There is no option in Preferences that says "Ask which program to use" or whatever other advice was previously posted. The only way I've found to start a rip is to open the disc under Drives and Devices, then double click to do the analysis and make the track list appear. Then I can "rip disk" from that same screen. Just puzzled that MC does not open the disk on its own.

I have set Security and Privacy > Files and Folders to allow MC 29 access to Removable Drives. For subsequent rips, I can click "Details" in the Action Window, but must still double click to analyze the disc before I can rip it. I also note that when MC is doing the analysis, the icon for the CD disappears from the desktop. It does the same when in the process of ripping. I have not noticed that behavior before either.

I've also been ripping CDs previously stored as mp4 files to FLAC format. I used to get a prompt to ask me whether I wanted to "Rerip and Replace" the existing mp4s, but I'm not seeing that either. My workaround is to delete the mp4 versions and rip the CD to FLAC. Not too big a deal, just an extra step, but different from what I'm familiar with from my previous experience. I've been using MC for several years.

Any help? Thanks!

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: CD ripping in MC 29.0.87 for Mac
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 09:10:24 am »

You might try updating to 29.0.88.
There can be some issues with certain combinations of software settings, drives and versions of MacOS.
I've seen that behavior on an old machine running 10.13 with an internal drive but nowhere else.
You will want to make sure that the default for putting in a CD into the drive in your System Preferences->CDs & DVDs->When you insert a CD is set to Ignore.
I'm not familiar with MC tracking previous rips of the same disc but if so it would have needed to be into the same database so if you re-created the database at some point you would have lost that information.

VacuumTubes

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 01:01:09 pm »

Bob,
Thanks for your response. I have not seen the same issues in MC 30.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 09:34:38 am »

Bob,
Thanks for your response. I have not seen the same issues in MC 30.
Great, thanks for the report back!
Pages: [1]   Go Up