INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unassigned  (Read 854 times)

ManOnTheMoon

• Recent member
Unassigned
« on: October 15, 2022, 11:21:21 am »

Quite a few of my m4a tracks are showing up as 'unassigned' with version 30.

I've checked all of the meta tags and they all seem to be populated correctly.

I've attached some screen shots to illustrate what is happening. I tried attaching the song, but the file is too big.

What happened? Any ideas?

atreides

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Unassigned
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 08:57:11 pm »

Those unassigned tracks don’t have an album assigned.

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 06:01:33 pm »

Those unassigned tracks don’t have an album assigned.

I think if ManOnTheMoon retags those two "lost" tracks, MC will put them where they go with the rest of the songs from Exit... Stage Left.

As to why they didn't import properly in the first place... ?  It happens in my media files from time to time as well.

ManOnTheMoon

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 06:52:34 pm »

Thank you. I just have to search for ‘unassigned’ and copy it again from my CD. Retagging does not work. I can live with that it’s just that my music library is huge :)

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 08:52:11 pm »

Automatic tagging failed for those two tracks because of the extraneous numbers at the name's end (note the "04" and "02").  In addition, the band's name "Rush" is part of the track name, which in my experience, will also cause tagging to fail.

macdonjh

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 06:02:48 pm »

Automatic tagging failed for those two tracks because of the extraneous numbers at the name's end (note the "04" and "02").  In addition, the band's name "Rush" is part of the track name, which in my experience, will also cause tagging to fail.

Interesting, I didn't know about those rules.  I think I've ripped/ downloaded music which has been actually tagged artist - title, but I always rename the songs with just [title].  I've also received many tracks with the tag [name] in the format of xx - song title.  Does tagging get messed up only if those numbers are at the end of the [name] tag?  Again I always rename songs like that so the track number doesn't appear in the title/[name].

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 06:37:48 pm »

Interesting, I didn't know about those rules.  I think I've ripped/ downloaded music which has been actually tagged artist - title, but I always rename the songs with just [title].  I've also received many tracks with the tag [name] in the format of xx - song title.  Does tagging get messed up only if those numbers are at the end of the [name] tag?  Again I always rename songs like that so the track number doesn't appear in the title/[name].
I think the specified auto-import rules have an impact (which the OP did not indicate what they were) on how well the auto-tagging works.  I made an assumption based on the 2nd screenshot provided - the 2 problem files had the track numbers at the end of the filename.  That said, if all the track names were initially constructed that way, but only those 2 did not import correctly, then something else is the issue.

I am not going to pretend I know exactly what goes into MC's auto-tagging, but to me it makes sense that the more things it has to try and "fuzzy" match, the more likely it will fail.  I do think track numbers at the end of the name would present more of a problem than the beginning.  Things like "live", "alternate take", "bonus" appended to the name can sometimes create issues too. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up