INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Search produces incorrect results  (Read 793 times)

rogueblue

• World Citizen
Search produces incorrect results
« on: October 24, 2022, 02:29:53 am »

When I search my video for "ayer", a number of videos are included in the results that do Not have layer in it's title.
SoI looked at the tags, and only place where it might have "layer" is under the zone tag category as "player"
How do I get MC to display the correct results?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Search produces incorrect results
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 04:05:08 am »

search for "[name]=layer". MC by default searches in many fields.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 04:11:05 am »

search for "[name]=layer". MC by default searches in many fields.

Thanks ... is it possible to make the whole MC search "[name]=layer" by default only?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 04:32:10 am »

You can also abbreviate it to "n=layer".

Note that when you type just "layer" in the search box, a dropdown shows up with an option called "layer (name)" - just click it to return only results matching the Name.

To disable searching in other fields: Go to Tools->Options->Library&Folders->Manage Library Fields. There's an option for each field called "default search field", just uncheck it for all fields except "Name".

This is usually not a good thing - now you can't just type an album/artist/director/etc, you'll have to type "[artist]=metallica" to explicitly search for it.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 04:45:39 am »

You can also abbreviate it to "n=layer".

Note that when you type just "layer" in the search box, a dropdown shows up with an option called "layer (name)" - just click it to return only results matching the Name.

To disable searching in other fields: Go to Tools->Options->Library&Folders->Manage Library Fields. There's an option for each field called "default search field", just uncheck it for all fields except "Name".

This is usually not a good thing - now you can't just type an album/artist/director/etc, you'll have to type "[artist]=metallica" to explicitly search for it.

Thanks again ... very helpful ... only i did check the options ... manage fields ... but for "zone last used" , the default search field was already unchecked ... so little confused why it still effected search results

Also I tried what you mentioned, but the dropdown shows a number of suggestions with (Name) thereafter, but not just "layer (name)" ... so sadly doesn't work neither

It seems that only option is for me to try remembering to type n= every time before search

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 05:07:40 am »

Thanks again ... very helpful ... only i did check the options ... manage fields ... but for "zone last used" , the default search field was already unchecked ... so little confused why it still effected search results
Probably coming from some other field then.

Also I tried what you mentioned, but the dropdown shows a number of suggestions with (Name) thereafter, but not just "layer (name)" ... so sadly doesn't work neither
You're right, it actually shows individual search results containing layer, and then in parenthesis the field where it was found. So you can use that to understand where MC is finding that word.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 12:48:15 pm »

I'm relatively sure this should not be happening.  On my system it seems to be matching on [Zone Last Openned] and on [Compression].  Neither of these are checked as default search fields, yet it seems to find them anyway.

The Compression is matched sometimes because MP3s are listed as MPEG Layer 3.

Doesn't bother me at the moment, but seems like it might be good to figure this one out.

Brian.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 12:55:02 pm »

I'm relatively sure this should not be happening.  On my system it seems to be matching on [Zone Last Openned] and on [Compression].  Neither of these are checked as default search fields, yet it seems to find them anyway.

That's what I thought too ... seems odd and not correct, unless I'm misunderstanding how it works. Would be great IF it was a bug and then fixed ... then I could have search the way I want without having to first insert "n=..." or whatever

The Compression is matched sometimes because MP3s are listed as MPEG Layer 3.

Never noticed that until you pointed it out ... not sure how that would affect results

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 01:18:17 pm »

We're not honoring the default search marker for stock fields.  I'm asking the team about changing a coming MC30.  Nice job finding that!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2022, 07:37:11 pm »

Regarding [Compression] and MPEG Layer 3:

Never noticed that until you pointed it out ... not sure how that would affect results

You were searching for "ayer", which matches any file with "Layer 3" in the [Compression] field.  So every MP3 would match on "ayer" in that case.  At least it did when I tested it earlier.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2022, 07:37:38 pm »

We're not honoring the default search marker for stock fields.  I'm asking the team about changing a coming MC30.  Nice job finding that!

Thanks for working on it Matt.  :)

Brian.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2022, 10:26:53 pm »

Regarding [Compression] and MPEG Layer 3:

You were searching for "ayer", which matches any file with "Layer 3" in the [Compression] field.  So every MP3 would match on "ayer" in that case.  At least it did when I tested it earlier.

Brian.

Well technically my first post was a typo, sorry (need new keyboard) ... meant "layer" ... but probably similar....
I assumed that "layer" brought up results including "player" (from Zone tagging) ... but yes I see what you mean by "layer 3" compression also contributing, though I only searched within video files, not audio.
Thanks for input.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2022, 10:27:43 pm »

Great thanks Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up