INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I launch JRiver from Kodi?  (Read 11711 times)

elee532

• Recent member
Can I launch JRiver from Kodi?
« on: June 24, 2016, 10:04:06 pm »

Is there a way to launch JRiver Media center from Kodi? Then, when I exit JRiver return back to Kodi?

Thanks!

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can I launch JRiver from Kodi?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 11:03:26 pm »

Advanced launcher kodi plugin.  Im thinking you could configure actions on play within jriver or use eventghost alternatively.  I dont know how stable your pc would be running both.  I was curious about kodi reading jriver as a library server via dlna.  This way you could have jrivers tagging and kodi presentation. 

elee532

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 06:40:47 am »

Thanks! Where can I find this Advanced Launcher plugin?

What I want is JRiver to play my music (because it can play my SACD ISOs and Koei can't), and Kodi for everything else.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 06:54:32 am »

Out of interest why Kodi for "everything else"...  Is there something that MC can not do (or is it a preference for the GUI for example)?
JRiver CEO Elect

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 08:13:04 am »

I do not understand why one would use Kodi if you are using JRiver.  Am I missing something?

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 07:01:27 pm »

Out of interest why Kodi for "everything else"...  Is there something that MC can not do (or is it a preference for the GUI for example)?

well i just bought a license for JRiver 22 but find myself back to kodi for two reasons only

1: Kodi MVC fork has flawless 3D mvc mkv playback on my intel chipset.  jr just crashes after several mins.  i know it's madVR and/or lav but you should note the limitation somewhere.

2: JRemote is weak sauce currently.   i like it but the Kodi remote app is slick

i actually am in the same boat.  JRiver is better for audio for my needs.  Kodi is better for video.  could not care less about the GUI as honestly JRemote is good enough though buggy. 

tagging and library flexibility in jremote is superior and once you get the hang of settings things up it is just darn powerful. 

i also use it as a DMC for my oppo but gapless playback killed my usage since i have a lot of classical, art and prog rock. 

hope you guys fix the 3D.  if kodi can do it certainly JR can too.  i have been considering building a cheap nvidia solution because 3D seems to work fine there but unfortunately NVidia does not support 88.2 or 176.4 audio and i have a lot of music in 88.2.  prefer not to resample.  it's always some compromise......

cheers - happy to fund :).  doing same for Plex.  on of you guys will finally make the perfect htpc solution!

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

jachin99

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 07:49:33 pm »

A better answer to the original question would probably be that there are several ways to launch MC from kodi because it is a simple executable.  You would probably get a more specific answer from the kodi forums.

stewart_pk

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 01:14:00 am »

hope you guys fix the 3D.  if kodi can do it certainly JR can too.  i have been considering building a cheap nvidia solution because 3D seems to work fine there but unfortunately NVidia does not support 88.2 or 176.4 audio and i have a lot of music in 88.2.  prefer not to resample.  it's always some compromise......

JRiver won't be fixing 3D for Intel, that would require the developer(s) of madVR.
I don't know about Nvidia but why not an AMD video card?

jachin99

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 07:19:06 am »

JRiver won't be fixing 3D for Intel, that would require the developer(s) of madVR.

Before I had JRiver, I had kodi with DS player but I had nothing but problems from my video card driver crashing.  My solution was to do this, and it worked.  I wasn't concerned so much with having a graphics card as much as getting away from intel graphics driver problems.  I found an open box amd silent card online, and got it for about thirty bucks.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 05:00:54 pm »

thinking about it.    but means i need to build a new PC.   i'm currently using my mac mini with bootcamp and windows 10

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

stewart_pk

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 09:08:28 pm »

thinking about it.    but means i need to build a new PC.   i'm currently using my mac mini with bootcamp and windows 10

I think you should build a new PC :)

elee532

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 08:55:25 pm »

I do not understand why one would use Kodi if you are using JRiver.  Am I missing something?

The main reason is that I have found when navigating with a remote or an app, that Kodi handles Blu-ray menus and chapter navigation better for my BDMV folder rips, and even for my MKV rips. I'd love to settle on just one or the other. Can someone tell me how to get Blu-ray menus or chapter navigation in JRiver when using JRemote? Or, can someone tell me how to get SACD ISO support in Kodi?

Thanks!

elee532

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 09:23:47 pm »

2: JRemote is weak sauce currently.   i like it but the Kodi remote app is slick

Which Kodi app are you using?

i also use it as a DMC for my oppo but gapless playback killed my usage since i have a lot of classical, art and prog rock.

What is DMC? I also have an OPPO. How can it fit into this discussion? 

on of you guys will finally make the perfect htpc solution!

I'll happily open my wallet when you do. :)

defenz0r

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 05:33:37 pm »

Can aggree to that. The usability of JRiver for series or movies is just bad.
If you have enough files it just crashes even on High End system.

Kodi does have the better GUI and usability for Video Files.

Even for Audio, JRiver Crashes each time i hop between folders. JRiver could be more responsive, then it would not come to crashes while switching selection of folders / albums.

If i were you, i would use JRiver only for music, without kodi. I think if you launch jriver from kodi, kodi might crash because jriver crashes byself often enough. You just compare a good responsive software versus a bloated unresponsive but good Music Player which has very much options.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 05:51:27 pm »

Can aggree to that. The usability of JRiver for series or movies is just bad.
If you have enough files it just crashes even on High End system.

Kodi does have the better GUI and usability for Video Files.

Even for Audio, JRiver Crashes each time i hop between folders. JRiver could be more responsive, then it would not come to crashes while switching selection of folders / albums.

If i were you, i would use JRiver only for music, without kodi. I think if you launch jriver from kodi, kodi might crash because jriver crashes byself often enough. You just compare a good responsive software versus a bloated unresponsive but good Music Player which has very much options.
This is just not true for most users.  MC is widely used by people who have very large libraries (>100,000 files).

If you have a problem, start a thread, or bump one if you've provided details.

Here's a thread of problems caused by drivers and other software:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

Take a special look at the Antivirus thread linked near the top.

I'll split this to a new thread.

defenz0r

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2016, 07:45:41 am »

Do you know what i dont like Jim?
It's just saying  "its not true".

How can it be that JRiver has those problems on much different Systems even on Blank Windows Systems?
How can it be people starting new Thread JRiver keeps crashing?

Why does an AntiVirus Software prevent jriver at any point? Different Software does not have any interferes with it.
Like Foobar, Media Player HC, Itunes, MediaMonkey, ... to tell you some Software which doesnt have problems there.
Its not a option to not use Antivirus Software.

Why does the Windows Mouse Pointer hang while launching Media Center?
Why does the Windows Mouse Pointer hang if you set a volume limit at MC and you try to slide it up to the right?
Why does it hang up if you just switching between music fast?

Jim, you cant decline the Problems of JRiver and say all of the other Software is the cause.

Im not that type who didnt read all of the Threads regarding my problems. Even tried through the whole FAQ.

MC will crash after importing some terabytes of data in mkv format and trying to switch into the Video section.
Its not able to do TheTVDB tagging.
Its bad at Audio - Online Tagging If you want to try tag Music via Amazon even for more famous albums it just does apply the wrong tags.

The reason i use JRiver for Music is just the GUI and Smartlists. You can't let Foobar look like JRiver, if you could i would not need JRiver anymore. You dont have the tools provided in JRiver for tagging manually.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2016, 07:56:21 am »

Why does the Windows Mouse Pointer hang while launching Media Center?
Why does the Windows Mouse Pointer hang if you set a volume limit at MC and you try to slide it up to the right?
Why does it hang up if you just switching between music fast?
It doesn't for other people.  These are exactly the kinds of problems that "security" software like antivirus programs can cause.

I understand that you have a problem, but I don't believe you've shown that it is a Media Center problem.

If you'd like to try to solve the problem, start a thread on one and provide complete information.  Versions of MC and your OS, drives, antivirus and so on.

If you continue posting general and aggressive complaints without details, your posting privileges will be suspended or terminated.

Your move.

pge

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2023, 05:44:13 am »

A bit late in this discussion, but there are some things JRiver can not.

But first, I am using JRiver ever since MC 15, almost 10 TB in the database and it rarely crashes.
Thumbs up!

As far as I know JRiver can not use another TV server as back-end, like TVHeadend or NextPVR.
In the Netherlands and most other European countries this means the cable providers have all (already paid for) channels encrypted. Not available in a HTPC. (Rent another set-topbox please).

With running NextPVR or TVHeadend on a (always on) NAS they can be made available to a client, like Kodi or Plex.
I understand this works via a HTSP protocol for streaming of live TV, channels and (EPG) information.
It would be great to integrate this into JRiver!

Another issue is subtitles to TV series.
I do not see how this is supposed to work in JRiver when the files are auto-imported (from NAS folders).

This are two scenarios which would work in Kodi:

NAS with new content -> Kodi import, check for subtitles -> play on HTPC -> TV screen.
HDHomerune Tuner -> NAS TV server -> Kodi live stream HTPC -> Beamer on big screen.

To get the subtitles improved is probably a never ending hassle, but can Yaobing have a look at the TV server back-end, for recording, planning / EPG and streaming using HTSP?
Pages: [1]   Go Up